Jump to content
  • Custom Search


  • 0
Sign in to follow this  
brucelinc

speed specific vibration

Question

My 2018 Mustang has recently developed a vibration through the steering wheel ONLY at speeds between 48 and 52 MPH...most noticeable at 50.   I have 2 sets of wheels/tires - aftermarket and original equipment - and it is exactly the same with both sets.....thus ruling out tire or wheel issues.     I do not feel it through the brakes or seat.   The steering wheel does not shimmy.   It sort of feels like the handlebars of an idling motorcycle....but only at that specific speed range.   High speeds are perfectly smooth.    There is no noise at all associated with the vibration.    This issue began all of a sudden and I can't think of a single event that would have caused it.

Could brake rotors cause this...even though braking is smooth?    Could a driveshaft or rear half-shaft issue cause a STEERING WHEEL vibration?    Could an alignment issue cause it?   Other ideas???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

10 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 1

UPDATE:   Apparently no one had any ideas about this or didn't care but I will provide an update.   Dealer did some diagnostics, involved Ford Engineering and ordered me a new driveshaft.   They did check alignment, rear subframe positioning and a number of other things before coming to the driveshaft conclusion.   The rubber housing around the center carrier bearing did seem to allow quite a bit of movement when I was under the car doing my own investigation.   Apparently, it is allowing the shaft to "whip" ever so slightly at a specific speed....especially when slowing down through that speed range and engine compression is causing different pressure on the shaft than when accelerating or driving steady.

 

I am still somewhat baffled that a driveshaft issue would cause steering wheel vibration but we shall see if the new shaft does the trick.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Thanks for the update. I didn’t see your post. Sometimes I miss or overlook or just forget to reply. Let us know. From your description it’s a high frequency vibration and a driveshaft would be a likely culprit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
22 hours ago, brucelinc said:

UPDATE:   Apparently no one had any ideas about this or didn't care but I will provide an update.   

 

I knew I should have answered with, "I have no idea..." 🤣

 

Interested in hearing how and if the new driveshaft corrects the issues...amazing how vibrations travel through the chassis and end up no where near where it began.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
On 9/2/2019 at 8:55 AM, twintornados said:

 

I knew I should have answered with, "I have no idea..." 🤣

 

Interested in hearing how and if the new driveshaft corrects the issues...amazing how vibrations travel through the chassis and end up no where near where it began.

 I apologize if my comment about no one caring sounded snarky.   It is just that I had researched this issue in every possible way and kept drawing a blank.   I will provide a follow up after they install the new shaft.

 

When the tech originally drove the car with me, he was convinced that it was a tire issue....and I agree that it seemed like a front tire was out of balance or defective.    Since I have two sets of tires/wheels and the symptoms were the same with both, we could eliminate that as the cause.    Once we got the car in the shop, a different tech concluded it was definitely driveline related.   What is puzzling to me is that this just started for no apparent reason and is through the steering wheel rather than the seats or accelerator.   According the the service writer, they had the car on the hoist and ran it up to the 50 MPH speed range and could duplicate the issue even though the front wheels were stationary....thus eliminating and issue in the front end.

 

I have noticed that when driving at a steady 50 MPH, the vibration is very slight.  However, if I am going faster and back off the throttle and let it coast down to that speed under engine braking alone, the vibration is more pronounced.    Downshifting so there is more engine braking makes it a bit more prevalent.   Oddly, it is ONLY at approximately 50 MPH that this occurs.    It is perfectly smooth at all other speeds whether accelerating, slowing down or driving steady.   

 

Funny thing:    I have Ford Pass and while the tech was doing his diagnostics, I was home getting all sorts of scary emails from Ford Pass.....such as ABS faults detected, Advance track faults  detected, Collision warning system faults detected, etc.        

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
45 minutes ago, brucelinc said:

 I apologize if my comment about no one caring sounded snarky.   It is just that I had researched this issue in every possible way and kept drawing a blank.   I will provide a follow up after they install the new shaft.

 

When the tech originally drove the car with me, he was convinced that it was a tire issue....and I agree that it seemed like a front tire was out of balance or defective.    Since I have two sets of tires/wheels and the symptoms were the same with both, we could eliminate that as the cause.    Once we got the car in the shop, a different tech concluded it was definitely driveline related.   What is puzzling to me is that this just started for no apparent reason and is through the steering wheel rather than the seats or accelerator.   According the the service writer, they had the car on the hoist and ran it up to the 50 MPH speed range and could duplicate the issue even though the front wheels were stationary....thus eliminating and issue in the front end.

 

I have noticed that when driving at a steady 50 MPH, the vibration is very slight.  However, if I am going faster and back off the throttle and let it coast down to that speed under engine braking alone, the vibration is more pronounced.    Downshifting so there is more engine braking makes it a bit more prevalent.   Oddly, it is ONLY at approximately 50 MPH that this occurs.    It is perfectly smooth at all other speeds whether accelerating, slowing down or driving steady.   

 

Funny thing:    I have Ford Pass and while the tech was doing his diagnostics, I was home getting all sorts of scary emails from Ford Pass.....such as ABS faults detected, Advance track faults  detected, Collision warning system faults detected, etc.        

 

Hi brucelinc.  You were getting the FordPass alerts because your rear wheels were doing 50 mph while your front wheels were not rotating at all.  So all those systems thought your car was in an eternal death spin, front brakes locked, while headed towards the shop wall at 50 mph.  😮🙃🤣

 

Hope the new driveshaft takes care of things for you.  Good luck.

Edited by bbf2530

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

I've had wheel bearing noises travel all over the car. I've had shakes and shimmies that do not make sense. Get the new shaft. If it is still hosed then, then worry about it. 

 

BBF is right. They were running it on the lift to see if they could recreate it. The car hates it and there is no way to avoid setting codes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

At least they were able to diagnose yours. Dealer has had my car for 2 months. 2 torque converters, a rebuilt transmission and (for some reason I don't understand) both rear axle replaced and they still can't find the source of the front end shake on my Fusion. I'm on my second rental car because I met the mileage limit on the first one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
41 minutes ago, YT90SC said:

I've had wheel bearing noises travel all over the car. I've had shakes and shimmies that do not make sense. Get the new shaft. If it is still hosed then, then worry about it. 

 

BBF is right. They were running it on the lift to see if they could recreate it. The car hates it and there is no way to avoid setting codes. 

 

Thanks, but I am not worried.   I only provided follow-up as a point of interest.   Also, I am well aware of what caused the Ford Pass messages.   I just found it funny as in humorous....not funny as in peculiar.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
On 9/3/2019 at 1:45 PM, brucelinc said:

 

Thanks, but I am not worried.   I only provided follow-up as a point of interest.   Also, I am well aware of what caused the Ford Pass messages.   I just found it funny as in humorous....not funny as in peculiar.   

So how did it turn out?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×