2020 Ford Explorer Shipment On Hold?

4 hours ago, jcartwright99 said:

Please tell me we aren't in production hell like Tesla was.....if they bring a tent to Chicago or Flat Rock, I am selling my shares

No no no, it's not a clusterfuck on that level, though I don't think I would get myself into trouble by saying there have been challenges and that recall announced today just proves that. 

I wish I could have left my long winded and well thought out post intact but I'm not going to risk it. They know who I am. 

I will say this, 

I know I've bitched a lot about the upper levels of management (read: Jim Hackett) not saying very much publicly about quality but internally they’re really taking it VERY seriously. I can't speak to the issues with the Explorer/Aviator launch in Chicago beyond what I've heard is happening at Flat Rock but believe me, they’re taking that shit very seriously. 

Edited by fuzzymoomoo
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I will say this, 

I know I've bitched a lot about the upper levels of management (read: Jim Hackett) not saying very much publicly about quality but internally they’re really taking it VERY seriously. I can't speak to the issues with the Explorer/Aviator launch in Chicago beyond what I've heard is happening at Flat Rock but believe me, they’re taking that shit very seriously. 

Understood. I know a few folks who are at Flat Rock and one at MAP. I’ll talk with them this weekend when I’m in Monroe. 

I bet they are taking it seriously as the Explorer is a cash cow. If they F this up , things could go south fast. 

The thing that bothers me the most is that Ford is capable of better launches. They’ve had some doozies mentioned earlier. Ask yourself this question,  do you think they would ever let a poor launch happen to the F150? I know there were some fit and finish issues with the first AL bodies/bumpers. Again, launching a new product is difficult and there are inherently going to be issues.

Why do you think these issues happen? Poor training, poor engineering/design for manufacturing, lack of QC ( either by not having or not following process), too much pressure from management to hit production numbers or a combo of these? Answer if you feel comfortable but I seriously don’t know. I can only go on what I read and my limited experience working in a stamping plant.

It’s clear that some manufacturers are better at this than others. Nobody has designed and manufactured the flawless car. I would be curious to hear the opinions of folks working in the trenches doing the work as to what the hurdles are.

1 hour ago, jcartwright99 said:

Why do you think these issues happen? Poor training, poor engineering/design for manufacturing, lack of QC ( either by not having or not following process), too much pressure from management to hit production numbers or a combo of these? Answer if you feel comfortable but I seriously don’t know. I can only go on what I read and my limited experience working in a stamping plant.

Probably a combination of all of that. 

3 hours ago, Ididntdoit said:

Even the handful that make it through final get stolen off the lot before transported to dealers, 15 this week.

WTF! I guess they are getting loaded into a container and getting sold overseas in some 3rd world shithole. 

The overage age of the plant isn't an issue, unless the roof is leaking etc...

5 hours ago, Ididntdoit said:

it's Chicago, a 95 yr old plant. Some rocket scientist thought is was a good idea to retool and launch here. Even the handful that make it through final get stolen off the lot before transported to dealers, 15 this week.

That happens every where . I’ve never understood how manufacturers can’t figure out security of the lots. 

1 hour ago, jcartwright99 said:

That happens every where . I’ve never understood how manufacturers can’t figure out security of the lots. 

The cost of the security is more than the loss or in today’s world the bad PR that comes from stopping it. 

It’s the reason that you can just walk out of any major retailer with merchandise and you will not be stopped and in some cases they will not call the police until hours/days later. Last thing any company wants is a security guard harassing someone shoplifting or the shoplifter being Injured. The negative PR is worse than the loss of the product. 

5 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

WTF! I guess they are getting loaded into a container and getting sold overseas in some 3rd world shithole. 

The overage age of the plant isn't an issue, unless the roof is leaking etc...

That guy has been spewing all kinds of sky is falling rhetoric for months now. Take what he says with a large grain of salt.