Jump to content
  • Custom Search


cewhite

2020 Ford Explorer Shipment On Hold?

Recommended Posts

I have a 2020 Explorer ST on order. According to the salesman, it has been built ans awaiting transport BUT Ford told the transport company to hold the shipment of all the Explorer awaiting transport. I've seen nothing about a hold on new Explorer shipment and was wondering if the sales man has gotten bad information. Anyone here anything about a hold on Explorer shipment?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are issues and Ford has been silent.  Dealers everywhere have missed ETAs and Explorers have been sitting for over a month idle at the plant.  

 

Dealers have no clue.. I am in contact with 4 consistently across multiple states and they are all being kept in the dark.

 

Just look at the tracking forum..  vehicles sitting since end of June with no system updates for weeks.

Edited by blwnsmoke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, blwnsmoke said:

There are issues and Ford has been silent.  Dealers everywhere have missed ETAs and Explorers have been sitting for over a month idle at the plant.  

 

Dealers have no clue.. I am in contact with 4 consistently across multiple states and they are all being kept in the dark.

 

Just look at the tracking forum..  vehicles sitting since end of June with no system updates for weeks.

Some of those are waiting on being shipped to Flat Rock, they’re helping CAP catch up on repairs. It's not that there's major problems it's just a bunch of little stuff that obviously can't be delivered to customers. The reason flat rock is helping is with CAP running full tilt on 3 shifts doing inspections and repairs they can't keep up with the backlog they already had with stuff built before OKTB was given and since FRAP is only about a 4-5 hour trip away, they already have Dynos that can read RWD/AWD and they’re only running 1 shift it just made sense to enlist them to help CAP catch up.

Others are caught probably caught in that Void that sometimes happens with Ford plants where vehicles are mysteriously stuck at the plant waiting to ship and nobody knows why. It happened last summer with a bunch of Lincolns at Flat Rock. I think it's a shipping company problem but that whole process is so nebulous to me I have no idea for sure. 

Edited by fuzzymoomoo
Clarification

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Some of those are waiting on being shipped to Flat Rock, they’re helping CAP catch up on repairs. It's not that there's major problems it's just a bunch of little stuff that obviously can't be delivered to customers. The reason flat rock is helping is with CAP running full tilt on 3 shifts doing inspections and repairs they can't keep up with the backlog they already had with stuff built before OKTB was given and since FRAP is only about a 4-5 hour trip away, they already have Dynos that can read RWD/AWD and they’re only running 1 shift it just made sense to enlist them to help CAP catch up.

Others are caught probably caught in that Void that sometimes happens with Ford plants where vehicles are mysteriously stuck at the plant waiting to ship and nobody knows why. It happened last summer with a bunch of Lincolns at Flat Rock. I think it's a shipping company problem but that whole process is so nebulous to me I have no idea for sure. 

Does anyone know the name of the over the road shipping company the use? I believe it starts with a C

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was wondering why I only saw a handful at the dealership by me. They are the largest by volume in IL. Fix the problems BEFORE they go out is a much better idea than getting them to customers only to have issues. I can appreciate that but that doesn't fix my being impatient.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, crozdub115 said:

Does anyone know the name of the over the road shipping company the use? I believe it starts with a C

Depends on the plant. I don't know what company they use in Chicago. There may even be another company that deals with just the loading dock too, I'm not sure. Like I said, I only have a vague piecemeal understanding of how all of that works

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This Saturday, I saw a 2020 Explorer on the road, but our local dealer does not have any in stock!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, grbeck said:

This Saturday, I saw a 2020 Explorer on the road, but our local dealer does not have any in stock!

Our dealer has at least 1 ST and one XLT (or maybe it's a Limited), and I saw another driving around Saturday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our dealer has a handful, including 2 ST's, but not the one with the Street Pack.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, crozdub115 said:

 

 

Edited by crozdub115

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Joe771476 said:

undoubtedly more quality control problems.

There are a LOT of QC issues. 2 of the 3 we have received have been undeliverable. AC leak on one. Coolant AND transfer case leak on the other. Waiting on the third to fall, but it is on the lot and no one has driven it. Lots of tech forum chatter about missing parts and leaks. Compounding it, the WSM and parts catalogging are inaccurate and incomplete. 

Even when they get sorted -and they will- I strongly suggest an ESP due to several design choices that they made.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, YT90SC said:

There are a LOT of QC issues. 2 of the 3 we have received have been undeliverable. AC leak on one. Coolant AND transfer case leak on the other. Waiting on the third to fall, but it is on the lot and no one has driven it. Lots of tech forum chatter about missing parts and leaks. Compounding it, the WSM and parts catalogging are inaccurate and incomplete. 

Even when they get sorted -and they will- I strongly suggest an ESP due to several design choices that they made.  

Always lease a first model year vehicle. If it’s reliable and you don’t have issues buy the lease. If it’s bad hand the keys and walk away. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, YT90SC said:

There are a LOT of QC issues. 2 of the 3 we have received have been undeliverable. AC leak on one. Coolant AND transfer case leak on the other. Waiting on the third to fall, but it is on the lot and no one has driven it. Lots of tech forum chatter about missing parts and leaks. Compounding it, the WSM and parts catalogging are inaccurate and incomplete. 

Even when they get sorted -and they will- I strongly suggest an ESP due to several design choices that they made.  

I'm picking one up Thursday regardless but I am curious on what choices you are talking about.  I am also getting an 8/150k esp so I'll be covered.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All of the above is exactly why retail orders are not scheduled until after the "Okay to Buy" status is achieved. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, blwnsmoke said:

I'm picking one up Thursday regardless but I am curious on what choices you are talking about.  I am also getting an 8/150k esp so I'll be covered.

A lot of things that will make servicing them more labor intensive and thus costlier to the non-warranty owner.

The front drive axle is part of the engine oil pan. Oil pan removal requires engine removal except for 3.0. 

The front driveshaft has no bolts, just a circlip on the front and a slip yoke built into the transfer case.  To remove it, you have to remove the case. If you have to service said drive axle, you have to remove the shaft and thus the case.  

Dual front lower ball joints that were problematic on the previous generation Fusion.  

Guibo on the rear driveshaft. Cars do ok with them. Vehicles that will tow or carry loads shouldn't have them.  Apparently they didn't learn their lesson on the Transit.

Battery placement and access.

There seem to be a LOT of unnecessary hose connections. More connections mean more chance for leaks.

Electronic brake booster. I owned TEVES Mk IV cars. ***HUGE*** nope for me.

Accelerator pedal is bolted to the floor. That means the sensor and all its workings will get wet/dirty. I can't believe that they did this with the problems that all makers have with floor mats and unintended acceleration.  

Not labor intensive, but On the 4 cyl anyway, the trans cooler hangs down WAY too low, and the lower coolant hose will catch a lot of debris. Because of the cooler placement there is a cheesy conglomeration of a pivot and arm that connects between the shifter cable and the trans. This will be an issue in states with salt/sand in the winter. 

Hood release and safety catch is activated by pulling the lever twice. I guess I am old fashioned and thought that the safety catch was supposed to be separate from the main mechanism for the latch. At least you can't pull it with the door closed. 

Admittedly, there are some things I'm nitpicking, but some are really "WTF?" moments. 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/5/2019 at 10:08 AM, grbeck said:

This Saturday, I saw a 2020 Explorer on the road, but our local dealer does not have any in stock!

I saw one recently as well. Hopefully they get whatever the issue is resolved because it was a darn good looking vehicle!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, YT90SC said:

A lot of things that will make servicing them more labor intensive and thus costlier to the non-warranty owner.

The front drive axle is part of the engine oil pan. Oil pan removal requires engine removal except for 3.0. 

The front driveshaft has no bolts, just a circlip on the front and a slip yoke built into the transfer case.  To remove it, you have to remove the case. If you have to service said drive axle, you have to remove the shaft and thus the case.  

Dual front lower ball joints that were problematic on the previous generation Fusion.  

Guibo on the rear driveshaft. Cars do ok with them. Vehicles that will tow or carry loads shouldn't have them.  Apparently they didn't learn their lesson on the Transit.

Battery placement and access.

There seem to be a LOT of unnecessary hose connections. More connections mean more chance for leaks.

Electronic brake booster. I owned TEVES Mk IV cars. ***HUGE*** nope for me.

Accelerator pedal is bolted to the floor. That means the sensor and all its workings will get wet/dirty. I can't believe that they did this with the problems that all makers have with floor mats and unintended acceleration.  

Not labor intensive, but On the 4 cyl anyway, the trans cooler hangs down WAY too low, and the lower coolant hose will catch a lot of debris. Because of the cooler placement there is a cheesy conglomeration of a pivot and arm that connects between the shifter cable and the trans. This will be an issue in states with salt/sand in the winter. 

Hood release and safety catch is activated by pulling the lever twice. I guess I am old fashioned and thought that the safety catch was supposed to be separate from the main mechanism for the latch. At least you can't pull it with the door closed. 

Admittedly, there are some things I'm nitpicking, but some are really "WTF?" moments. 
 

So it's sound like you are saying ....DON'T BUY IT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jcartwright99 said:

So it's sound like you are saying ....DON'T BUY IT

Not saying that. Once they get all the QC issues addressed I think it will be ok. Just saying don't own it without an ESP. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not going to pretend rolling out a new vehicle is easy because it's not.  This isn't the first rodeo for Ford though. I am really disappointed in the fact that they started shipping with defects and now have to have Flat Rock fix. Also, having a recall in the 4th week on sale isn't that great either. The only thing I am happy about is that they are addressing most of the issues BEFORE they get into the customers hands. The Explorer and Aviator are very important pieces for both Ford and Lincoln to botch this up any worse than it already is.

It appears this has put a hold on some of the marketing that Ford was going to roll out too. 2 months ago the first drives hit the media with the Explorer (still 0 for aviator) and virtually nothing since. It would of been nice to build upon what they did 2 months ago because that is all since been forgotten.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you think this is a bad product launch, you haven't been around Ford long. At least they have learned to not put a specific launch date on them anymore...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, YT90SC said:

If you think this is a bad product launch, you haven't been around Ford long. At least they have learned to not put a specific launch date on them anymore...

Well, worst in recent memory. The first gen Escape and Focus were probably were the worst since I've been paying attention. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, jcartwright99 said:

Well, worst in recent memory. The first gen Escape and Focus were probably were the worst since I've been paying attention. 

2013 Fusion/MKZ was the worst I can remember.  First they had to fly a stamping die back to Detroit to repair it.  Then they had defective headlamps and at one point they were shipping vehicles from Mexico to Flat Rock for repair and back to Mexico.  Lots of customer ordered vehicles just disappeared with no explanation.

 

I seem to recall something similar with Mustangs but don't remember the year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×