Aviator For the Weekend

I still have a lot to talk about with my time and many pictures, I guess BOF only lets you post 10 meg total.  I'll have to shrink some, delete some to get more room.  Or can I add them to my albums here and just link in the thread?

Anyhow, here is the bad/negative things I discovered:

1.  The wheel center caps are cheap plastic...beautiful wheels deserve better.

2.  Sunglass holder could be straight out of a stripped out Fiesta

3.  Hands on the wheel is too sensitive, on long straight stretches if you are holding the wheel steady for a bit, the cruise kicks off.

4.  I could not get it to auto park without trying to hit something. ( I may have been too jumpy since it was such a rare car at this point and time, and I didn't own it)  When it finally did back into a spot it left 4 feet between me and the other car, leaving 4 feet out in the road.  Don't plan on using it because the cameras are great, but if you charge for it, it should work.

That's what I remember so far, I had a friend and his wife who were supposed to double date with us Saturday in the Aviator become seriously ill Friday and so a lot of my weekend was running back and forth from the Hospital to his house.  It garnered a lot of city and interstate driving.  I did take some breaks and focused on the car.  This is also why I am so far behind on my pics and getting replies.

3 minutes ago, EcoBoost said:

mustangchief,

Since you already posted an image of the Avi at night of the center console, how does the rest look? Can it be compared to the Corsair?

Corsair Illumination

On the Corsair, the door pockets are illuminated and on the dash, the (wood)trim is illuminated as well.

Thanks!

I have a lot more photos for you to see, inside and out.  I ran in to a file limit uploading.  The one I posted is blurry and needs to be deleted, I'll get it fixed.  I have clear ones where you can read the gauges.  I think the Corsair picture is enhanced.  The Aviator does have ambient lighting similar and you have a whole palette to choose from.  

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, mustangchief said:

I have a lot more photos for you to see, inside and out.  I ran in to a file limit uploading.  The one I posted is blurry and needs to be deleted, I'll get it fixed.  I have clear ones where you can read the gauges.  I think the Corsair picture is enhanced.  The Aviator does have ambient lighting similar and you have a whole palette to choose from.  

Thanks - certainly looking forward to your pictures!

Could very well be that the Corsair picture is enhanced. It's from their press-release and the level of illumination does appear very bright/intense.

13 hours ago, mustangchief said:

If you put it in excite is drops down and then select snow and it goes up.  It would be nice to auto lower when you put it in park.  The only way I could get it down was having excite selected.

I wonder if there are any settings deep in the vehicle settings menus? Did you try to find any settings? Thought they would have put something so people could turn on or off the "kneel approach feature" or one that has it lower when you park. I don't think Ford/Lincoln would have set a default as some people would not want that function all the time or desire to set it to lower to get out of the vehicle. I'm a nerd/geek and I like to tweak settings like that... I do it all the time with many of the press vehicles I get to test drive. The Land Rovers have that feature, Benz has it, even Lexus has it in the LX570. However, BMW omitted that feature for the air suspension and you have to manually lower the height... oddly enough. However, there could be a manual override in the Aviator's settings. Especially for entering a mode that you have to set to tow the vehicle. Can't imagine that we have to pop it into Excite mode every time we park to lower it. 

I think it is time that we get an online manual PDF for the Aviator and share that. I'm gonna search around. The owners manual will answer a lot of these questions. 

Switching the systems on or off

You can access the air suspension, liftgate and easy entry features through the information display menu settings.  See General Information (page 127). Using the Service Mode When the service mode is active, the air suspension will not make any adjustments while your vehicle is stationary.

Note: Always switch the air suspension service mode to on before servicing your vehicle.

Using Cargo Loading The air suspension cargo loading feature lowers your vehicle for easier access when the system detects the liftgate is opening. When the liftgate is closed your vehicle will return to its normal height after a short time. Note:To preserve your vehicle battery, your vehicle will only lower for cargo mode one to two times per ignition cycle.

Using Easy Entry The air suspension will lower your vehicle to an easier access entry height when the system detects the intelligent access key, you press the unlock button, or use the remote start. The leveling process stops when you open a door or the target level is achieved. Note:To stop the leveling process, press the lock button on the intelligent access key.
Note:To preserve your vehicle battery, your vehicle will only lower for easy entry one to two times per ignition cycle.

26 minutes ago, akirby said:

Switching the systems on or off

You can access the air suspension, liftgate and easy entry features through the information display menu settings.  See General Information (page 127). Using the Service Mode When the service mode is active, the air suspension will not make any adjustments while your vehicle is stationary.

Note: Always switch the air suspension service mode to on before servicing your vehicle.

Using Cargo Loading The air suspension cargo loading feature lowers your vehicle for easier access when the system detects the liftgate is opening. When the liftgate is closed your vehicle will return to its normal height after a short time. Note:To preserve your vehicle battery, your vehicle will only lower for cargo mode one to two times per ignition cycle.

Using Easy Entry The air suspension will lower your vehicle to an easier access entry height when the system detects the intelligent access key, you press the unlock button, or use the remote start. The leveling process stops when you open a door or the target level is achieved. Note:To stop the leveling process, press the lock button on the intelligent access key.
Note:To preserve your vehicle battery, your vehicle will only lower for easy entry one to two times per ignition cycle.

I was just about to post that. HAHA

I'm guessing that pressing the unlock button will place it in the easy access entry height... I take it that's the door unlock button or the key fob unlock button only? hmmm.

1 hour ago, AutomotiveAddicts said:

I was just about to post that. HAHA

I'm guessing that pressing the unlock button will place it in the easy access entry height... I take it that's the door unlock button or the key fob unlock button only? hmmm.

Hi AA. According to the instructions akirby posted above, the Aviator will sense the intelligent access key and lower the ride height when you walk within about ~9 feet of the vehicle. When further away, pressing either the unlock button or the remote start from the keyfob (or phone app, I would assume) will initiate it.

Edited by bbf2530

On 8/7/2019 at 10:59 AM, bbf2530 said:

Hi AA. According to the instructions akirby posted above, the Aviator will sense the intelligent access key and lower the ride height when you walk within about ~9 feet of the vehicle. When further away, pressing either the unlock button or the remote start from the keyfob (or phone app, I would assume) will initiate it.

This is it lowering as I walk up, you have to wait a second for it to finish.  BTW, my wife is 5ft and asked if it had running boards when she first saw it in normal height, I told her it will kneel down to let her get in, she was sold on the feature.

Edited by mustangchief
update

On 8/6/2019 at 11:26 PM, EcoBoost said:

Thanks - certainly looking forward to your pictures!

Could very well be that the Corsair picture is enhanced. It's from their press-release and the level of illumination does appear very bright/intense.

I could not get the stills to upload, so I put them in an iTunes movie and loaded to you tube.  Just hit pause to take a longer look.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, mustangchief said:

This is it lowering as I walk up, you have to wait a second for it to finish.  BTW, my wife is 5ft and asked if it had running boards when she first saw it in normal height, I told her it will kneel down to let her get in, she was sold on the feat

Does this car have the air suspension with road preview or just adaptive suspension?

1 hour ago, mustangchief said:

It had the dynamic handling package.  • Air Glide Suspension with Dynamic Lower Entry   • Adaptive Suspension with Road Preview   • Adaptive Steering

It appears that AWD has the adaptive suspension, do you have any control over that?

On 8/15/2019 at 3:29 PM, AlexLexusAviator said:

Curious if you noticed what overall MPG do you have? Thanks,

Alex

Highway cruising at 79 was 23, city averaged 18, but that included a lot of stops in very hot weather.  Mostly flat, only slight hills.  Thanks for asking, there are many things I probably forgot to mention.  

I want to mention the 30 way seats.  My F-150 has the massaging contour seats and I thought they were comfortable on long trips.  I left it at the dealer to get the oil changed and a recall taken care of.  When I returned the Aviator and got in my truck, I swore they stole my seats, the contour seats were horrible in comparison to the 30 Ways.  I saw The fast lane review and he complained about the seats, I would love to know what he thinks are comfortable?  

3 hours ago, mustangchief said:

I want to mention the 30 way seats.  My F-150 has the massaging contour seats and I thought they were comfortable on long trips.  I left it at the dealer to get the oil changed and a recall taken care of.  When I returned the Aviator and got in my truck, I swore they stole my seats, the contour seats were horrible in comparison to the 30 Ways.  I saw The fast lane review and he complained about the seats, I would love to know what he thinks are comfortable?  

Probably just didn't get them to fit right. Happens sometimes.

On 8/6/2019 at 12:29 PM, mustangchief said:

Absolutely!  It is one of my Top 3 items you must have.  Here is a short video clip driving over the worst road near me and most places I've been off road.

Here is a video of my X3 today on the same road  

Edited by mustangchief
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, mustangchief said:

Here is a video of my X3 today on the same road  

Looks like a big difference from the X3 and Aviator. Amazing. Can't wait to get ours and see how she does. I don't think most people realize how amazing tech is to actually "read" the road and make proactive adjustments like Benz has done for almost 5 years now with their trick setup and newest E-Active suspension system. Forgive me, I'm a nerd. I like going over the bumps around my area with Benz that have that system and show people how amazing it is where the bumps or dips in the road almost cannot be felt. Hope the Aviator's Dynamic Handling Package provides some of that. We shall see. 

Thanks again for the videos and comparison. 

Edited by AutomotiveAddicts

9 hours ago, AutomotiveAddicts said:

Looks like a big difference from the X3 and Aviator. Amazing. Can't wait to get ours and see how she does. I don't think most people realize how amazing tech is to actually "read" the road and make proactive adjustments like Benz has done for almost 5 years now with their trick setup and newest E-Active suspension system. Forgive me, I'm a nerd. I like going over the bumps around my area with Benz that have that system and show people how amazing it is where the bumps or dips in the road almost cannot be felt. Hope the Aviator's Dynamic Handling Package provides some of that. We shall see. 

Thanks again for the videos and comparison. 

It is quite the difference.  We drove the same road tonight in my wifes Q5 and it was just as bouncy.  My truck might as well be at a rodeo (actually I think it does better than the little CUVs)  The Aviator was really smooth.  

• Like 1