Aviator For the Weekend

I picked up a loaded Aviator 6 hours ago, haven't taken many pictures yet and will recap the review thoroughly on Monday after I return it.  I'll throw out a few first impressions and try to answer any questions by Monday, sooner you ask, better chance I have seeing them.  I drove an Audi Q5 and F-150 prior to driving the Aviator this morning.  The biggest thing I noticed right of the bat was the Heads Up display, I had one in my Denali a few years ago and this one kicks butt, I (personally, not telling you to) would not buy one without it.  The stereo kicks tail also.  The 30 way seats are just as comfy as the Gator.  Acceleration was a nice surprise in Excite mode, the others I thought were decent.  It wasn't throw you back in the seat like my Mustang, but it was a lot more umphh than my truck.  Air suspension ride was so good on the back roads, I forgot I was on a bumpy road.  Another great feature is the adaptive steering, it stayed centered through all the twists and turns.  Now, I wasn't driving to notice every feature and try to be a critic, that is planned for tonight and tomorrow.  I drove it around to places I frequently go because I am familiar with the road.  I wanted to see what everyday would be like with mine in the garage.  The only time I really noticed the engine noise was in excite mode jumping on it.  Normal mode it was pretty quiet.  I love the steering, it is just like the Audi and BMW, the wheel felt great driving, I liked it when I got to play a little the day it arrived, and now like it better after driving it.  Haven't found anything annoying or what were they thinking yet.  I'll have plenty of pictures and video later...1148773125_aviatorandplane.thumb.jpg.ca0aa582804568a68bd0f80faf1d528a.jpg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, msm859 said:

On the adaptive steering can you actually let go of the steering wheel and have the car steer itself?  If so, for how long?

Hi msm. Adaptive Steering actually refers to the variable ratio power steering. So I assume you are asking about the Driver Alert/Lane Keeping Assist system.

I do not have direct experience with the Aviator yet, but if the system is similar to my MKZ, the following would apply:  It is not a fully "autonomous" driving vehicle, so your hands can only be off the wheel for a short time.  I don't know the exact timing, but perhaps 5-10 seconds. If your hands are off the steering wheel for a few seconds, the vehicle will alert you to place your hands back on the wheel. If you do it too many times, or if the system needs to intervene and steer too many times, the vehicle will warn you that perhaps you need to pull over for a rest (along with a cup of coffee icon...lol).  Also, if you do not place your hands back on the wheel, the system will eventually shut down (to deter people from trying to use it as a fully autonomous vehicle driving system, which would be dangerous).

For more specific information, you can download the Aviator Owners Manual here: https://owner.lincoln.com/tools/account/how-tos/owner-manuals.html

Hope this helps and good luck.

Edited by bbf2530
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Professor1234 said:

Haven’t driven one yet, but I have read the owner’s manual. Auto hold remembers the last setting, but A/SS reverts to ON at each start up.

I haven’t found a Stop/Start that I don’t find annoying but I’ll see with this one. If it’s not noticeable I’ll leave it on or as mentioned just drive in Excite mode all of the time. 

13 hours ago, msm859 said:

On the adaptive steering can you actually let go of the steering wheel and have the car steer itself?  If so, for how long?

It gives you about 5 seconds, sometimes a few more on straight lines.  In turns no more than 5 seconds.  It uses feedback from you moving the wheel I guess.  If you are holding on but make no subtle movements it kicks off.  It does great steering the car even it tight turns.  I found by moving the seat so my legs hit the wheel, I can let go for quite a while just tapping my legs to the radio.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, EcoBoost said:

Great review!

If you get a chance, post some pics of the interior illumination at night or in a garage. You will probably be the first on the entire web doing so...

With and without the ambient light.  I’ll put up all the ambient combinations tomorrow. 

8D1DCA46-B34B-4F02-874B-E41EDD37E98F.jpeg

A61F5DC9-FD39-400F-8304-943DD16D957A.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mustangchief, very nice! Glad you finally got time with it. Seems you share some of the same thoughts as I did with my limited time. 

Did you notice the air glide/road preview suspension actually working to smooth out bumps and road imperfections as in did it make you look in your review mirror to see if you went over a bump or now that you know is there that you feel in your Mustang but didn't feel it in the Aviator. Just trying to see how it compares to Benz' E-Active system that reads the road as well but utilizes more aggressive adjustments via pneumatics and hydraulic actuators.  

On 8/5/2019 at 12:13 AM, Bellanca said:

How customizable are the gauges? I was a bit disappointed by my Continental in that regard, seems a bit of waste to have that huge screen with so little customization. 

I could not find any customization other than what's in the manual.  It is not nearly as much as some displays, but enough I guess.  The HUD is really good and you probably wont be looking at the gauges anyhow.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, AutomotiveAddicts said:

Mustangchief, very nice! Glad you finally got time with it. Seems you share some of the same thoughts as I did with my limited time. 

Did you notice the air glide/road preview suspension actually working to smooth out bumps and road imperfections as in did it make you look in your review mirror to see if you went over a bump or now that you know is there that you feel in your Mustang but didn't feel it in the Aviator. Just trying to see how it compares to Benz' E-Active system that reads the road as well but utilizes more aggressive adjustments via pneumatics and hydraulic actuators.  

Absolutely!  It is one of my Top 3 items you must have.  Here is a short video clip driving over the worst road near me and most places I've been off road.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, CoolScoop said:

The Aviators air glide system also uses electronic variable pneumatics and hydraulics... just read an article on the Eactive and it looks like the systems are pretty much equal. They claim they're first, but not by much!!!

wow... that’s interesting!!!! can’t wait to try it out. I have always been amazed at the system in the Benz ever since they had it in 2014. Most people don’t realize how amazing it is to have a suspension system basically erase bumps or dips in the road. Technology is wonderful, when it works. 

Any clue as to settings for the system to auto lower when exiting the vehicle? Can’t wait to play around with it when mine arrives.

16 minutes ago, AutomotiveAddicts said:

Any clue as to settings for the system to auto lower when exiting the vehicle? Can’t wait to play around with it when mine arrives.

If you put it in excite is drops down and then select snow and it goes up.  It would be nice to auto lower when you put it in park.  The only way I could get it down was having excite selected.

6 minutes ago, mustangchief said:

If you put it in excite is drops down and then select snow and it goes up.  It would be nice to auto lower when you put it in park.  The only way I could get it down was having excite selected.

I thought it automatically lowered at higher speeds too, no?