Aviator Reviews are Beginning to Pop-Up on YouTube

No clue. Lots of folks have been wondering the same thing online, I see. I assume the Lincoln-sponsored mainstream automotive press first drive gaggle at some serene location has already taken place but that embargoes are still in place until dealers have more product. But at this point, it's all a guess unless someone has heard anything.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Gurgeh said:

No clue. Lots of folks have been wondering the same thing online, I see. I assume the Lincoln-sponsored mainstream automotive press first drive gaggle at some serene location has already taken place but that embargoes are still in place until dealers have more product. But at this point, it's all a guess unless someone has heard anything.

I would hope they've already coordinated press events. Aviators are already starting to arrive at dealerships. 

I think Aviator is the most important release of Lincoln so far.  It is an entirely new vehicle, prepared for electrification, intended for a competitive segment, unlike Navigator and Continental, which are intended for very specific consumers.  Corsair may not have such a technological showcase of Aviator, but it will also be of enormous importance.  We're witnessing the watershed Lincoln, so I hope

• Like 4

That Aviator; no-way no-how, can ever be described as nothing less than 'World Class'   We're going to find out soon if Lincoln was suffering from sub-par product, or if the Lincoln brand itself is just extinct.  Nobody in their right mind is going to test drive this Lincoln  vs. a Lexus, or Infiniti, then buy the Asian SUV.

4 hours ago, Kev-Mo said:

That Aviator; no-way no-how, can ever be described as nothing less than 'World Class'   We're going to find out soon if Lincoln was suffering from sub-par product, or if the Lincoln brand itself is just extinct.  Nobody in their right mind is going to test drive this Lincoln  vs. a Lexus, or Infiniti, then buy the Asian SUV.

I agree that it’s world class but I don’t think it’s a slam dunk against the competition because it’s expensive and some folks just prefer other brands.

It will boil down to what the deals will be.

The competition like the BMW X7 is already offering 10% off and right now, the lease-numbers on the Avi don't look that good.

No matter how good the vehicle is, Lincoln needs to get a foot in the door with new customers. By charging as much as the Germans, they will have a problem if the discounts/incentives/lease deals don't make up for it.

Right now, a fully loaded Avi ($91K) with 36/15 months is listed at $1,200/month with 10% down. If they want to be competitive, they will need to offer something that the customer can get this rate with 0 out of pocket (i.e. 6% off, 4K incentives or a better MF and residual).

Otherwise, an equally priced or slightly more expensive X7 will be cheaper to lease - a red flag for Lincoln.

4 hours ago, EcoBoost said:

It will boil down to what the deals will be.

The competition like the BMW X7 is already offering 10% off and right now, the lease-numbers on the Avi don't look that good.

No matter how good the vehicle is, Lincoln needs to get a foot in the door with new customers. By charging as much as the Germans, they will have a problem if the discounts/incentives/lease deals don't make up for it.

Right now, a fully loaded Avi ($91K) with 36/15 months is listed at $1,200/month with 10% down. If they want to be competitive, they will need to offer something that the customer can get this rate with 0 out of pocket (i.e. 6% off, 4K incentives or a better MF and residual).

Otherwise, an equally priced or slightly more expensive X7 will be cheaper to lease - a red flag for Lincoln.

Here's my prediction... except for AXZ plans, there won't be any deals for at least a year, maybe two.  Even private cash offers will be excluded in the fine print.

Edited by CoolScoop

43 minutes ago, CoolScoop said:

Here's my prediction... except for AXZ plans, there won't be any deals for at least a year, maybe two.  Even private cash offers will be excluded in the fine print.

That only leaves better residuals and MF then. 

Without that, we are looking at $1,500/month for a 36/12 lease then. On a side note, that gets you into a fully loaded $120K BMW X7 M50i.

If that's what Lincoln is planning, I wish them good luck - they'll need it.

6 hours ago, EcoBoost said:

That only leaves better residuals and MF then. 

Without that, we are looking at $1,500/month for a 36/12 lease then. On a side note, that gets you into a fully loaded $120K BMW X7 M50i.

If that's what Lincoln is planning, I wish them good luck - they'll need it.

Why does it have to be cheaper if it’s a better vehicle?   They’ve already proven they can sell $100k vehicles.

http://www.campaign.ford.com/content/lincolnmedia/lna/us/en/news/2019/08/13/lincoln-top-luxury-brand-autopacific-awards-navigator-top-vehicle.html

Lincoln is kicking major a** lately, many said it would never happen... but their climb back to relevance, even to the top, has been nothing short of amazing.  And the Aviator, without any doubt, do even better!!!

Edited by CoolScoop
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, akirby said:

Why does it have to be cheaper if it’s a better vehicle?   They’ve already proven they can sell $100k vehicles.

I'm not saying it needs to be CHEAPER. The problem is as it stands right now, it is much more EXPENSIVE.

Lincoln is marketing the Aviator as a competitor to the Audi Q7 and BMW X7. In order to make that happen, the price (and especially, the lease-offers) need to be competitive as well. You get 10% off the BMWs and you will be getting at least 6% off the Audi. On top of that, both are offering a loyalty bonus if you stay with the brand. Sorry, I just don't see how the line 'well, this is a Lincoln and you have to pay full MSRP' is going to fly very well.

And although I've been loyal to Lincoln for many years, the claim that the Aviator is a 'better vehicle' than a $120K BMW X7 M50i is debatable. Better in what regards? If it's all about performance, I can assure you that the M50i will not come in second place.

Interesting differences in philosophy. Acura, Infiniti, Lexus and more recently Genesis were new or unknown competitors. They came in with low price and then increased prices as reputation grew. Lincoln, Cadillac and Chrysler started high and then devalued their brands. Chrysler is no longer considered a luxury brand. Lincoln thought of as a platform for stretch limos. Can Lincoln win back market share by coming in high with an exceptional product? The few I have seen look nice, available 490hp gets attention, but would I sign up for a note on a $90K Lincoln... With leasing being high in the luxury market, residual value will be crucial. With my budget, maybe get a certified pre owned in a few years.

The GT would be competitive on performance and features and a LOT cheaper than $120k.  That seems to contradict your point,

The market will dictate final prices but there is no reason for Lincoln to cut prices just to be cheaper or even the same price out the door now that they have an Uber competitive vehicle.  It’s worked well with Navigator so far.

6 minutes ago, paintguy said:

Interesting differences in philosophy. Acura, Infiniti, Lexus and more recently Genesis were new or unknown competitors. They came in with low price and then increased prices as reputation grew. Lincoln, Cadillac and Chrysler started high and then devalued their brands. Chrysler is no longer considered a luxury brand. Lincoln thought of as a platform for stretch limos. Can Lincoln win back market share by coming in high with an exceptional product? The few I have seen look nice, available 490hp gets attention, but would I sign up for a note on a $90K Lincoln... With leasing being high in the luxury market, residual value will be crucial. With my budget, maybe get a certified pre owned in a few years.

People are signing up for $90k Navigators and Super Duty trucks already.

1 minute ago, akirby said:

The GT would be competitive on performance and features and a LOT cheaper than $120k.  That seems to contradict your point,

The market will dictate final prices but there is no reason for Lincoln to cut prices just to be cheaper or even the same price out the door now that they have an Uber competitive vehicle.  It’s worked well with Navigator so far.

No, it's not contradicting anything.

If you are leasing, the Lincoln at full MSRP will NOT be 'a LOT' cheaper than the $120K X7 M50i with 10% off. Go to the lease estimators on both websites - it will be an eye-opener. 

Lincoln's stronghold has always been leasing and they will need it on the Aviator as well. If the price is $300/month more than the German brands, they already lost the battle.

The Navigator had hardly any competition. The market segment the Aviator will be in is a totally different story.

Another prediction that will come true... Aviator will be the the undisputed sales leader in its segment almost instantly IF they can keep up with demand.  Many (most) are wating for final specs, road tests, and to actually see one in person before committing.  But soon after the specs and reviews are out and they begin arriving in quantities you better act fast if you want one, especially with all of your desired specs and colors.  The demand for the Aviator will be exponentially higher than the Navigator due to its perfect size and added features.  Don't look for any incentives in the forseeable future... you can bet on that.

Edited by CoolScoop

1 hour ago, CoolScoop said:

Another prediction that will come true... Aviator will be the the undisputed sales leader in its segment almost instantly IF they can keep up with demand.  Many (most) are wating for final specs, road tests, and to actually see one in person before committing.  But soon after the specs and reviews are out and they begin arriving in quantities you better act fast if you want one, especially with all of your desired specs and colors.  The demand for the Aviator will be exponentially higher than the Navigator due to its perfect size and added features.  Don't look for any incentives in the forseeable future... you can bet on that.

Many people - especially those currently owning a Lincoln and being in the market due to their leases expiring - will be surprised to see that there won't be any discounts on the Aviator. Discounts they are banking on and always got from Lincoln. Count me in on that as well.

The Aviator will sell well on the entry configurations but if they think people will get in line to pay $1,500/month on a $90K vehicle, they will be mistaken. People are brand loyal to a certain degree and they might be willing to give Lincoln a chance if they would have to pay as much for a Lincoln as for a similar priced BMW or Mercedes. However, they will not pay $300/month more. People are not that dumb and will compare numbers.

If you can get a $105K BMW X7 for $1,200/month, 9 out of 10 people are going to pick that over the $90K Lincoln for $1,500/month. You can bet on that as well.