• Custom Search

Sign in to follow this  
akirby

2014 Escape - A/C blows hot when idling

Question

Daughter’s car.  AC works fine when moving but goes hot when idling.  The engine doesn’t seem to be running hot so I don’t think it’s the fan but I’ll get daughter to double check that.   I thought it might be a little low on refrigerant so I got a DIY bottle.  It said it was charged but I added a little bit anyway.  No change.

anything I can do or check before taking it in for service?  I’m afraid they’ll just say the compressor is bad.

1 answer to this question

9 hours ago, akirby said:

Daughter’s car.  AC works fine when moving but goes hot when idling.  The engine doesn’t seem to be running hot so I don’t think it’s the fan but I’ll get daughter to double check that.   I thought it might be a little low on refrigerant so I got a DIY bottle.  It said it was charged but I added a little bit anyway.  No change.

anything I can do or check before taking it in for service?  I’m afraid they’ll just say the compressor is bad.

Check the cooling fan first. A easy way to check if you are getting air flow across condenser is take an fender cover or sheet, turn the engine on with ac on. Then lay sheet across the front bumper. It should suck to the grille. If not then you have no flow across condenser. 

If the cooling fan is working and you have air flow across condenser. Next Pick up engine rpms to about 1500 sitting still and see if ac starts cooling. If so that’s indicative of a bad compressor.