2020 Escape transmission (and RAV process)

hokie4life

Hello all. New member here. We're in the process of going through a vehicle buyback or replacement with Ford. Our 2019 Edge Titanium with 1500 miles on it is being reaquired due to transmission issues. We were told that the 2019 Edge had a newly designed 8-speed transmission. I know that the 2020 Escape will come with multiple types of engines but I'm most concerned with the transmission. We'd like to get a closer look at the hybrid model but we're concerned about the transmission that will be used in that model. Will the Hybrid model  likely come with a CVT instead of what may not be the traditional 8-speed transmission?

Also, for those that have gone through the RAV process, were you able to special order the vehicle you wanted as an MSRP to MSRP swap or were you forced to choose from dealer stock?

Thanks in advance

4 cylinder Edge uses the same transmission as the non-hybrid Escapes. V6 uses the larger, heavier duty version. 

I agree with Akirby here, unless they screw up the HF35 with some kind of update, it is fairly reliable. 

What happened to yours? 

Metal shavings were found in the transmission fluid. Since the miles were so low, Ford authorized a replacement transmission. From what I've been reading, a few others have noticed transmission issues warranting a stop at the service department. For us, it was a shutter when traveling at low speeds and a hard downshift from 3rd to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd. On the first visit, they reset the PCM and told us to drive another 500 miles so the computer can relearn our driving habits. No improvement was noted so we took it back to the dealer and that's when they found the metal shavings. The car had been at the dealer for a month now (NC law allows for 20 days in the all before the lemon law takes affect). Once we opened a case it took about a week for the good faith reviewe to approve the buyback. Now we're waiting to hear from the RAV group to start the process. 

We're looking at a loaded 2020 Escape hybrid. We really would like a 2020 Explorer but I don't we can make the MSRP to MSRP deal to work to get the model we want with all bells and whistles and shell out thousands more. 

6 hours ago, hokie4life said:

Metal shavings were found in the transmission fluid. Since the miles were so low, Ford authorized a replacement transmission. From what I've been reading, a few others have noticed transmission issues warranting a stop at the service department. For us, it was a shutter when traveling at low speeds and a hard downshift from 3rd to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd.

You sure it wasn't wood shavings??

image.png.2c815953abb0bdf6475395c718e8eafa.png

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

As an update to all interested, our car is still at the dealership as the transmission is on backorder. We've been in a loaner longer than we've had our vehicle now. Ford RAV told me that they have all the info they needed from me and they've sent everything to the "formulation" team to crunch the numbers and come back with a buy back amount. 

• 3 months later...

Our 2020 SEL when it reaches 35mph, the steering wheel starts vibrating and a loud humming then starts which can be heard over the radio. Both do not go away as speed increases. Even at 75 the vibration call still be felt in the steering wheel. It also starts to wonder all over the lane as you gain speed. The humming is still there but harder to hear because the engine noise and road noise are also louder than any of the other 4 Escapes we have owned. The Dealer said Ford Tech said this is all normal. Bull shit!!! If Ford doesn't come up with some fixes very soon, we are getting rid of this Escape and Ford!!