• Custom Search

blockisle9

2017 Edge 30k mile Transmission service

Question

I have spent well hours and days searching for information and have gotten tons of conflicting answers. I just hit 30k miles and had the PTU fluid changed. Dealer wants to do a trans flush, I am being told to avoid this like the plague. The machine either produces to much pressure or may have left over non compatible fluid that will contaminate my transmission.  More positive comments is to just do a drain and fill since it has a non replaceable filter and is a pretty solid transmission. My only issue with that is it’s only replacing maybe 1/2 the fluid. Other people say do that three times, since I can’t do it myself that can get pricey. Opinions please? I think the tranny is f650/55 not sure..Thank you

14 answers to this question

2 minutes ago, blockisle9 said:

I have spent well hours and days searching for information and have gotten tons of conflicting answers. I just hit 30k miles and had the PTU fluid changed. Dealer wants to do a trans flush, I am being told to avoid this like the plague. The machine either produces to much pressure or may have left over non compatible fluid that will contaminate my transmission.  More positive comments is to just do a drain and fill since it has a non replaceable filter and is a pretty solid transmission. My only issue with that is it’s only replacing maybe 1/2 the fluid. Other people say do that three times, since I can’t do it myself that can get pricey. Opinions please? I think the tranny is f650/55 not sure..Thank you

There are machines that swap the fluid while the vehicle is running and only uses the normal internal pump pressure with no chemicals - those are very safe and change 99% of the fluid in one shot.  Costs around $175.

4 minutes ago, akirby said:

There are machines that swap the fluid while the vehicle is running and only uses the normal internal pump pressure with no chemicals - those are very safe and change 99% of the fluid in one shot.  Costs around $175.

Here’s my take on it. Nothing wrong with either. The only downside to flushing is there’s a possibility of containments. Also, in order for fluid to flow through the cooler lines, where the flush machine hooks up, the internal thermostat must open. Which requires 175+- degree fluid. In order to reach that they stall the converter for shorts times to heat the fluid. If done incorrectly can cause pump seal leaks or puke fluid out the vent. But that’s if they don’t know what they are doing. Some flush machines have a helper pump to help. 

Now that I have gave you worst case scenarios. I personally flush my transmissions. Actually on my truck I flush at 30 then change filter at 60 then repeat same every 30. 

A drain and fill gets bout 1/3 the fluid out. It’s about 4.5 quarts. 

17 hours ago, fordtech1 said:

Here’s my take on it. Nothing wrong with either. The only downside to flushing is there’s a possibility of containments. Also, in order for fluid to flow through the cooler lines, where the flush machine hooks up, the internal thermostat must open. Which requires 175+- degree fluid. In order to reach that they stall the converter for shorts times to heat the fluid. If done incorrectly can cause pump seal leaks or puke fluid out the vent. But that’s if they don’t know what they are doing. Some flush machines have a helper pump to help. 

Now that I have gave you worst case scenarios. I personally flush my transmissions. Actually on my truck I flush at 30 then change filter at 60 then repeat same every 30. 

A drain and fill gets bout 1/3 the fluid out. It’s about 4.5 quarts. 

In your opinion, would you think the dealer would be a safe choice?

Or should I just do three drain and fills at 1000 mile intervals then same thing at 60k

9 minutes ago, theoldwizard said:

ATF change at 30K ?  TOTAL WASTE OF TIME AND MONEY !

Well, I'm not so sure about that. If you drive in severe conditions (or aggressively) and want that trans to last than it's a smart investment.  If i spend 500 dollars doing this and at 150k miles I don't need a new transmission, then it's money well spent. Doing a drain and fill yourself is also an option but you leave about 1/3 of the fluid in there.

Granted, a drain & fill leaves a lot of fluid in there.    However, with my MKS, I just did a drain & fill on an annual basis....not getting all the fluid out but doing it more frequently.    I did drag race the car as well as use it for a daily driver in Minnesota so I consider that severe service.   I avoided the flush for the reasons that Fordtech described.   I wasn't comfortable with the method of heating the fluid to the appropriate level.    I am not necessarily advocating or criticizing either method but I have had excellent service from the MKS, our Taurus and the Continental....all with the 6F50/6F55.

3 hours ago, theoldwizard said:

ATF change at 30K ?  TOTAL WASTE OF TIME AND MONEY !

I can understand what you are saying but with so many variables and if changing the fluid makes the owner feel more secure in the fact that the transmission may last longer because of shorter service intervals then so be it. Last I looked the 6f showed a lifetime fluid service of 150k. It’s my understanding that trans was tested and life expectancy is 150k. However, if you change the fluid would the life of the trans grow to 200-250? 

To play devils advocate, ford wants you to buy more vehicles and they want the product to last the warranty period. That’s pretty much the objective for them.

I personally Check the fluid condition of my vehicles then make the call. Without sending the fluid out for analysis, changing it is the best insurance against poor lubrication from broken down fluid. 

One little off topic opinion of mine is that brake fluid is the most neglected fluid. Ford does not have a service interval for it like most manufacturers. It’s hydroscopic so it absorbs moisture. IMO is should be changed at least when brake work is performed. 

9 minutes ago, fordtech1 said:

I can understand what you are saying but with so many variables and if changing the fluid makes the owner feel more secure in the fact that the transmission may last longer because of shorter service intervals then so be it. Last I looked the 6f showed a lifetime fluid service of 150k. It’s my understanding that trans was tested and life expectancy is 150k. However, if you change the fluid would the life of the trans grow to 200-250? 

To play devils advocate, ford wants you to buy more vehicles and they want the product to last the warranty period. That’s pretty much the objective for them.

I personally Check the fluid condition of my vehicles then make the call. Without sending the fluid out for analysis, changing it is the best insurance against poor lubrication from broken down fluid. 

For me it's piece of mind. If I spend roughly 500 on maintenance, and get to 150k with no issues it's worth it. 500 is lot cheaper than 3k for a new trans. 

If the fluid is NOT bright cherry red I would agree 100% !  Watch this video (if that old fluid only had 30K on it I would be shocked !).  Note this is a drain and fill ONLY and the person doing the video is a long time Ford Tech

2013-2019 Ford Explorer Escape Fusion 6F35 Six Speed Transmission Fluid Change Procedure

44 minutes ago, theoldwizard said:

(if that old fluid only had 30K on it I would be shocked !).  

According to the tech in the video, the car had 100K on the clock...but, whew, that is some dirty ATF for sure. 

11 hours ago, theoldwizard said:

If the fluid is NOT bright cherry red I would agree 100% ! 

That is typical of 6F35, especially the later ones. Usually jet black at 45 or 50k. Its one of the few current transmissions that 30k service intervals are not over-maintaining. LV doesn't seem to be as bright as most of the other fluids anyway, and it rapidly discolors even when not used. I have a soak container that it clearly isn't the same color as "fresh from the bottle". Nothing in it, nothing wrong with it, just the dye seems to, well, die. 

I went with the drain and fill and also had them do the PTU fluid change.

14 hours ago, blockisle9 said:

I went with the drain and fill and also had them do the PTU fluid change.

PTU change is a "safe bet" !