2021 F-150 Spotted

I'm surprised it has taken this long for photos, they've been out during the day in force for at least a month now..

The Bronco mules have been cruising around at night so should get some photos of them in the next month or so. 

Edited by jasonj80
  • Like 3

I'm curious what they are doing to use for hybrid model gas engines.  I'm guessing a 3.3 NA engine.  But I would be possibly interested in that model.  It depends if they are going for a gas saving model, or a power model like the Aviator.

2 hours ago, 92merc said:

I'm curious what they are doing to use for hybrid model gas engines.  I'm guessing a 3.3 NA engine.  But I would be possibly interested in that model.  It depends if they are going for a gas saving model, or a power model like the Aviator.

I was under impression that Ford will do a F-150 PHEV not just hybrid. That being said, I think 3.3 make sense if Ford is going for fuel economy.

But in theory, since the hybrid components are linked to the 10 speed transmission, Ford can offer hybrid (or PHEV) on every engine in the F-150 portfolio. It wouldn't be difficult at all for Ford to make it work with 2.7 EB or 5.0 V8.

10 minutes ago, bzcat said:

But in theory, since the hybrid components are linked to the 10 speed transmission, Ford can offer hybrid (or PHEV) on every engine in the F-150 portfolio. It wouldn't be difficult at all for Ford to make it work with 2.7 EB or 5.0 V8.

but is it worth spending the money on getting it certified? I'd love a 2.7L Ecoboost hybird in a Bronco. 

It doesn't seem like the 10 Speed hybrid is going to be a huge MPG increase vs other hybrid vehicles with a CVT style transmission...but in my case I'm sure I could get 22-24 MPG with a hybrid Bronco with my 13 mile commute into work with all the traffic lights I hit and traffic. Thats a nice improvement over the 17-18 I get now with my SHO LOL

3 hours ago, 92merc said:

The 3.0EB hybrid from the Explorer PI might make sense here too for more power and better towing numbers. 

33 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

The 3.0EB hybrid from the Explorer PI might make sense here too for more power and better towing numbers. 

There is no 3.0EB hybrid on the PIU.  Only the 3.3L Hybrid or 3.0EB.

And if they were going for max power they should just use the 3.5EB plus the hybrid motor.

I think it will just be the 3.3L hybrid like the Explorer - I don't expect a PHEV.  But that's just me guessing.

28 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

I see amber turn signals out back.

They get factored into the safety score from NHTSA starting this year, they can't mandate them without congressional approval but NHTSA went this route in an attempt to get them installed faster than getting required, Seems new Ford and FCA  updated vehicles seem to be getting them. GM/Euro's still are not using them but on one or two vehicles.  

IIHS has considered that they be required for Top safety pick + in future years as well, could just be future proofing the model.

On 8/7/2019 at 2:31 PM, jasonj80 said:

They get factored into the safety score from NHTSA starting this year, they can't mandate them without congressional approval but NHTSA went this route in an attempt to get them installed faster than getting required, Seems new Ford and FCA  updated vehicles seem to be getting them. GM/Euro's still are not using them but on one or two vehicles.  

IIHS has considered that they be required for Top safety pick + in future years as well, could just be future proofing the model.

Why have all the manufacturers gone so back and forth on amber rear turn signals over the years? I had a '93 Tempo in college that had amber rear turn signals, but when Ford replaced that car with the Contour it was all red. Mustangs went back and forth, Taurus went back and forth, Explorer went back and forth, Ranger went back and forth. Was it just to change the taillight style or cost cutting? It seems like a good idea because they are more noticeable than all red. My Ranger has them, but I just figured that was due to it being part of the Australian designed T6 truck family.

5 hours ago, 2005Explorer said:

Why have all the manufacturers gone so back and forth on amber rear turn signals over the years?

Most likely because the manufacturers thought they'd sell the cars internationally, but the international sales never panned out, and non-amber signals are cheaper to manufacture. Or it could just be that the person in charge of the original designed liked the Euro look, and the guy in charge of the redesign thought all-red tails looked better (or had other places he wanted to spend the money, and chose the all-red tails to meet a price target).

8 hours ago, 2005Explorer said:

Why have all the manufacturers gone so back and forth on amber rear turn signals over the years? I had a '93 Tempo in college that had amber rear turn signals, but when Ford replaced that car with the Contour it was all red. Mustangs went back and forth, Taurus went back and forth, Explorer went back and forth, Ranger went back and forth. Was it just to change the taillight style or cost cutting? It seems like a good idea because they are more noticeable than all red. My Ranger has them, but I just figured that was due to it being part of the Australian designed T6 truck family.

Mainly Cost they can save a few pennies to $20+ a unit depending on the cost cutting. It also allowed to give an updated look for a minor refresh or back in the badge engineer days difference between Ford and Mercury. 

Most Euro Luxury stopped using them to make it more difficult to export the cars to other countries, there was a very good grey market to buy used high end cars in the US then export them back to Europe/ROW. Making people buy new assemblies and wire adds to the cost and makes the importation more difficult. 

Some also comes from regulations being talked about, it gets brought up every few years to make them mandatory so manufacturers want to be ready. When the NHSTA study came out showing the reductions in accidents with vehicles equipped with them it was all but assumed that it was a done deal to require them. Congress did nothing with the data so manufacturers looking to cut costs went back to Red.

The safety credit they get now is a way to get things implemented without having to make a law to force them to do it. Ranger gets credits for the rear seat belt reminder too. Even if they do become mandatory there is usually a phase in period for the required equipment based on sales. 

On 8/7/2019 at 12:31 PM, jasonj80 said:

Governing by unelected bureaucrats is so hot right now ?

• Like 1