Gm Diesel engines not compatible with US Fuel

fordtech1

6 hours ago, probowler said:

And.... this is why don't buy a work truck from Government Motors  ?

Say what you want about Ford cars.... but there's a reason their trucks are number 1.

Ford has had their fair share of this EXACT problem from 2011+ trucks.  It is all over the internet.. Ford charging $10k for a full fuel system replacement.  All because it showed a few specs of rust from a fuel that naturally has water in it.

Ford's water separator on these is pure junk.  It's the reason I spent $700 I shouldnt have had to for a dual filter fuel filter system added on to actually do its damn job and absorb the water/moisture.  All of this happening without the WIF light ever coming on.

I have Blue blood but your comment is ridiculous in this regard as Ford and GM are no different here.

14 hours ago, blwnsmoke said:

Ford has had their fair share of this EXACT problem from 2011+ trucks.  It is all over the internet.. Ford charging $10k for a full fuel system replacement.  All because it showed a few specs of rust from a fuel that naturally has water in it.

Ford's water separator on these is pure junk.  It's the reason I spent $700 I shouldnt have had to for a dual filter fuel filter system added on to actually do its damn job and absorb the water/moisture.  All of this happening without the WIF light ever coming on.

I have Blue blood but your comment is ridiculous in this regard as Ford and GM are no different here.

No kidding? I guess I shouldn't speak on topics i'm ignorant of ?

Well I'll go just Fk myself LOL. I do appreciate you educating me though.

On 8/8/2019 at 4:44 AM, blwnsmoke said:

Ford uses Bosch pumps, just like GM. BUT this is an issue with ALL common rail diesel even the almighty Cummins. Tiny little pump making 25k psi? Even a small bit of contaminant is an issue. This isn't a Bosch 'design flaw' or  'Ford separator problem', it is that common rail is in itself fragile. But the need to make less tailpipe and noise emissions from compression ignition has forced manufacturers to it.  

Don't buy crappy fuel from shady stations. Don't skip draining the separator. NEVER use emulsifiers. DO use lubricators. Don't treat a fragile diesel like a comparable gas vehicle that *can* take abuse. 

1 hour ago, YT90SC said:

Ford uses Bosch pumps, just like GM. BUT this is an issue with ALL common rail diesel even the almighty Cummins. Tiny little pump making 25k psi? Even a small bit of contaminant is an issue. This isn't a Bosch 'design flaw' or  'Ford separator problem', it is that common rail is in itself fragile. But the need to make less tailpipe and noise emissions from compression ignition has forced manufacturers to it.  

Don't buy crappy fuel from shady stations. Don't skip draining the separator. NEVER use emulsifiers. DO use lubricators. Don't treat a fragile diesel like a comparable gas vehicle that *can* take abuse. 

DO build a pump that can handle 25k psi if that is what you are requiring, DO build a pump that does not destroy itself, DO build a fuel system that does NOT send the metal particles through the whole fuel system (aftermarket has already come up with solution so it does not), DO build a fuel system that can handle American diesel, DO build a water separator that actually separates water (aftermarket has done this prior to 2017MY), DO honor a warranty on the junk pumps instead of sticking customers with a $10k bill because Ford doesnt want to design a proper filtering system.  DO state that additives are REQUIRED in order to prevent a grenade if they are indeed required.

I've spent years reading owner after owner getting stuck with a $10k bill when they havent done anything wrong (yes, there are some that have no clue what a water separator is).

• Like 1

On 8/10/2019 at 1:02 PM, blwnsmoke said:

DO build a pump that can handle 25k psi if that is what you are requiring, DO build a pump that does not destroy itself, DO build a fuel system that does NOT send the metal particles through the whole fuel system (aftermarket has already come up with solution so it does not), DO build a fuel system that can handle American diesel, DO build a water separator that actually separates water (aftermarket has done this prior to 2017MY), DO honor a warranty on the junk pumps instead of sticking customers with a $10k bill because Ford doesnt want to design a proper filtering system.  DO state that additives are REQUIRED in order to prevent a grenade if they are indeed required.

I've spent years reading owner after owner getting stuck with a $10k bill when they havent done anything wrong (yes, there are some that have no clue what a water separator is).

Commonrail is fragile. A plain and simple truth that cannot be simply engineered out. Water and/or fluids that don't lubricate the pump will kill it. One bad tank of fuel will end ANY commonrail pump's life, no matter what whiz-bang aftermarket "fix" they have for the systems or whose name is stamped on the housing (Bosch, Cummins, Continental, etc). In "the good old days" of distributor pumps and HEUI systems, bad fuel/loss of fuel pressure would damage them too. It is the nature of the beast with any diesel. The old adage, now a myth, of a diesel being more reliable and longer lasting than its gas powered counterparts needs to die.

Why should Ford/GM/Ram eat a bill for someone who put gas in their tank? Or DEF? Or water? Or ran it out of fuel or low on fuel pressure so the pump couldn't lube itself? Or didn't drain the separator ever, or never changed filters, or... the list goes on. I bet if you really dug into those internet sob stories, the majority are leaving out details. People who care for their vehicles, like yourself, rarely have troubles. 

On 8/7/2019 at 10:39 PM, probowler said:

there's a reason their trucks are number 1.

Reason is that Ford brought back Ranger for 2019 in the U.S. market. That added 30,000+ trucks to Ford sales for the 1st half of 2019. And pushed Ford past GM, which has traditionally been the #1 seller of pickup trucks in the U.S.

• 3 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, CGIron said:

I think the reason for this might be that GM is still using grey iron as a block material instead of following RAM and Ford by changing to the much harder Compacted Graphite Iron. 

How would the material of the engine cause the pump to grenade?  It's the pump causing g the issue and because the metal particles of the pump then goes through all the fuel lines and injectors, it causes the whole fuel system to be replaced.  Has nothing to do with the motor or what material it is made of.

13 minutes ago, blwnsmoke said:

How would the material of the engine cause the pump to grenade?  It's the pump causing g the issue and because the metal particles of the pump then goes through all the fuel lines and injectors, it causes the whole fuel system to be replaced.  Has nothing to do with the motor or what material it is made of.

I wouldn´t be so sure about that. The super high pressure from that pump may tear on the cylinderwalls. The greyiron in the combustionchamber is so much weaker in the Duramax

VW went through this with their CR 2.0 TDI here in the States.  There's a guy over at tdiclub.com, 2Micron I think, that put together a filter package or something like that where it catches the debris after pump degradation so it doesn't contaminate the entire fuel system.  We just don't have repeatable quality diesel here in the States like EU does...