Nissan Titan diesel is dead.

MY93SHO

1 minute ago, twintornados said:

Decent motor in a poor selling truck.

Depends on what you call "decent".  Reports I've read state that the engine got about 1mpg better than the Ford 6.7 diesel.  And a lot less torque.  So not much of a savings of going full on Super Duty.

6 minutes ago, 92merc said:

Depends on what you call "decent".  Reports I've read state that the engine got about 1mpg better than the Ford 6.7 diesel.  And a lot less torque.  So not much of a savings of going full on Super Duty.

That motor may just die a slow death...cannot see anything on the market that would benefit having this under the hood. Ford GM and RAM all have their diesels for their half tons and this would be a bit small for 3/4 and 1 ton trucks....

56 minutes ago, 92merc said:

Yeah, I read about the one C&D had when I was at the barber's.

That thing ate injectors like they were Skittles.

• 2 weeks later...

All respects to the 5.0 V8 Cummins diesel but 310 HP / 550 lb ft in a relatively heavy engine and truck

was always going to add up to a less than satisfactory result.

Ram is now punching out 260 HP / 480 lb ft out of the 3.0 V6 Ecodiesel,

increase that to say, a 3.6 diesel and those numbers become 303 HP / 560 lb ft.

Now that engine would be a serious hauler in a 1500 truck.....

• 2 weeks later...

Whatever Nissan did to Titan XD, buyers didn't like so this looks like a major reset,

the XD diesel falls into bad no mans land, lacks 1/2 ton fuel economy, lacks 3/4 ton's capacity.

It's not particularly a good diesel either, the 6.7 I-6 now produces 1,000 lb ft,  

so a 5.0 diesel should be up around 750 lb ft not 550 lb ft.

A giant chocolate teapot that nearly every potential buyer saw and avoided like the plague,

how or why Nissan failed to see this coming is the real question and whoever was responsible

of dreaming up this combo needs to be put in the corner away from any new developments.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

Whatever Nissan did to Titan XD, buyers didn't like so this looks like a major reset,

the XD diesel falls into bad no mans land, lacks 1/2 ton fuel economy, lacks 3/4 ton's capacity.

It's not particularly a good diesel either, the 6.7 I-6 now produces 1,000 lb ft,  

so a 5.0 diesel should be up around 750 lb ft not 550 lb ft.

A giant chocolate teapot that nearly every potential buyer saw and avoided like the plague,

how or why Nissan failed to see this coming is the real question and whoever was responsible

of dreaming up this combo needs to be put in the corner away from any new developments.

I saw one in the used lot of my local Chevy dealer not even a months after they went on sale. That should say everything about what actual buyers thought about it. 

4 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I saw one in the used lot of my local Chevy dealer not even a months after they went on sale. That should say everything about what actual buyers thought about it. 

I can imagine quite a few of those turning up in the next 12 months as buyers realize their mistake

or wait for a tax write down so they can kick it out of their lives....

I think this is also why Ford resisted using the 4.4 V8 diesel as used in the Range Rover,

it's similar to the Cummins 5.0 with 335 hp and 516 lb ft and again, not enough torque

compared to the 6.7s above and the 3.0 diesels below.

17 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

If it was indeed a trade in-then yes.  I am wondering if it was just too much truck-either size wise/ or the payment was too much. You could buy a half-ton Silverado (LT) nicely equipped for a good $10,000.00 less.

2 hours ago, CKNSLS said:

If it was indeed a trade in-then yes.  I am wondering if it was just too much truck-either size wise/ or the payment was too much. You could buy a half-ton Silverado (LT) nicely equipped for a good $10,000.00 less.

Correct, it's both an over priced 1/2 ton and an under capacity 3/4 ton.....it pleases no one.

I think it also underscores why Ram ultimately passed on the Cummins 5.0 V8,

the fuel economy and torque increase not enough to justify the price over a gasoline V8

Edited by jpd80

8 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

The answer to a question nobody asked 

And yet Ford, GM and Dodge have offered "heavy half" payload packages for decades. So yeah, someone did ask the question... and it was answer by Detroit many times.

Nissan has been struggling to find a niche they could exploit. This was a valid niche. But they guessed wrong on the take rate.

Kind of like when Toyota tried a flare side and failed miserably.

43 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

A good idea that doesn't hold up to scrutiny is actual not a good idea.

whatever Nissan is doing,  combined Titan sales are falling, they need to act.

At this point they should just give up on the full size trucks and focus on Frontier, though with a new Ranger, Taco and updated Canyorado right around the corner they have their work cut out for them there too. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

At this point they should just give up on the full size trucks and focus on Frontier, though with a new Ranger, Taco and updated Canyorado right around the corner they have their work cut out for them there too. 

Supposedly a new Frontier is also around the corner, but I feel like that's been the rumor for years now.

• Like 1