2020 Explorer XLT auto-dimming mirror

• 1 month later...

It should be possible to install the auto dimming mirror assuming that all you want is the interior mirror to be dimmable.  It looks like there are only 5 wires to the normal (non-rear camera display) autodimming mirror, and 2 of those are for the dimmable exterior driver's mirror.  The other 3 are just power, ground, and reverse.  This mirror is shown on the wiring diagram as "Lane Keeping System" although this particular mirror has nothing to do with that system.

The issue that I would expect you to have is that with a manual mirror, you won't have any of these wires, so you would have to replace the roof harness (from the A-pillar on up to the roof) and I'm not sure if that harness would otherwise be acceptable for your trim level.  You'd also have to remove the headliner to install it if you wanted it to match the factory installation.

The ideal way to do this (which I'm guessing a dealer won't touch) is to get the new roof harness, remove the pins for the mirror wires from the A-pillar connector, and insert them back in the connector on your existing harness (assuming the other side of these terminals is populated).  This would essentially just be adding the mirror pigtail to your roof harness.

On 8/9/2019 at 3:43 PM, hokie4life said:

Is it possible for the dealer to install an auto dimming mirror on the XLT trim? I couldn't find it as a trim level option on the Ford build site...only the Manual day/night mirror appeared to be available.

Hi hokie. The vast majority of Ford dealers will not touch that type of work, especially on a new vehicle which is still under warranty. Any Dealer that might, would be opening themselves up to all sorts of liability and warranty coverage issues with Ford. 

Edited by bbf2530

• 5 months later...

Hey Hokie,

Not sure about the auto-dimming interior mirror, since it sounds like that's more involved, but I did have the dealership install the garage door opener driver visor for me on my 2017 Explorer XLT without any issue. It had the exact same wiring as the non-UGDO visor the car came with so it was just a matter of taking the old on off and putting the new one on, and it worked perfectly for the time I had that vehicle. If the auto-dimming mirror is more complex like some of the people on here have said, it may be a hands off installation. I understand your desire to do it, however. I was just complaining elsewhere how much I hate that Ford has pulled some of its best options from even a loaded XLT. The auto-dimming interior (and driver exterior) mirrors being 2 of them. And don't even get me started on that disgusting bent tip exhaust the XLT has now. WTF?

I went through a situation along these lines when i bought a 90 Chrysler 5th Ave. It had the base audio system in it and I wanted the premium Infinity system. The salesman told me it could be upgraded, which proved to be untrue. The bottom line was when the car is built, it has to have the correct wiring harness installed when the car is built for the accessories included and there was no way to modify it and nobody would even attempt it. The dealer had a local audio shop install a system of my choice after I took them to small claims court and won my case.