2020 Ram EcoDiesel sneak peek

MY93SHO

For 2020 FCA's Ecodiesel has 260 HP and 480 lb ft 

All of this makes me wonder what sized diesel / power and torque would be ideal for a 1500 / F150 truck..
Are OEMs going a little light on capacity and max tow capacity to go chase highest EPA economy numbers?
and is that because they don't want gasoline sales disrupted or are they just not thinking that far  into it?

Would a 3.3-3.6 liter diesel be a better fit?

Edited by jpd80

On 8/16/2019 at 4:43 AM, jpd80 said:

For 2020 FCA's Ecodiesel has 260 HP and 480 lb ft 

All of this makes me wonder what sized diesel / power and torque would be ideal for a 1500 / F150 truck..
Are OEMs going a little light on capacity and max tow capacity to go chase highest EPA economy numbers?
and is that because they don't want gasoline sales disrupted or are they just not thinking that far  into it?

Would a 3.3-3.6 liter diesel be a better fit?

Those are virtually the same numbers as the 7.3 had stock in Super Duty. With 4 speed automatics. 

Remember GM twins have the only clean sheet diesel here. They moved their bar towards efficiency. FCA and Ford would rather tow more but they are using existing engines that happen to fit between the frame rails and meet NVH requirements. 

If they were just chasing MPG numbers they would be smaller and less capable most likely. 

These things are to satisfy the "gotta have a diesel" option, nothing more. There is no real reason to buy one.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I think a Hybrid F150 might change the perceptions of a few diesel buyers...

if a 5.0 V8 F150 hybrid can get 26/26 mpg  it might pull a lot of V8 buyers back

into the show room......and make other V8 hybrid offerings look quite ordinary.

Edited by jpd80

5 hours ago, itguy09 said:

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a28918699/2020-ram-1500-rebel-ecodiesel-by-the-numbers/

Those are some pretty poor MPG numbers for a Diesel and given the EcoDiesel is quite unreliable and takes expensive fuel one has to ask WHY?

No Guts, No Glory, Ram. 

Built to Serve the Mechanic.

The devil is in the detail, the test was run at 75 mph, not 70 mph and I believe that the AWD was also engaged.

Those two factors combined could well account for near on 4 mpg difference.

3 hours ago, jpd80 said:

The devil is in the detail, the test was run at 75 mph, not 70 mph and I believe that the AWD was also engaged.

Those two factors combined could well account for near on 4 mpg difference.

A gas Rebel would have a 3.92 axle ratio, does this diesel have the same? That would affect it also.

13 hours ago, MY93SHO said:

A gas Rebel would have a 3.92 axle ratio, does this diesel have the same? That would affect it also.

You may be right but it's probably a combination of heavy weight, 4x4 engaged, and decent tow rating/RA ratio.

If Ram was chasing fuel economy/less tow capacity, they could probably run with taller gearing like 3.4:1 or higher.

On 9/7/2019 at 11:35 AM, 02MustangGT said:

24mpg at 75mph?   Psshh, I bet @akirby can manage 30mpg in his 3.5EB at 75mph.  

All kidding aside, I’m sure the 2.7EB could come close to 24mpg at a 75mph cruise, provide similar capabilities (towing, etc), and is likely more cost effective to maintain.  

heck the Ranger couldn't even get that on that TFL drive from LA to Colorado, maybe it was the big FX-4 wheels...

Just thinking, the 3.0 Powerstroke is the single turbo version,

Jaguar had a twin turbo versionthat made close to 300 hp and over 500 lb ft..

not sure if that on high grade Euro diesel or not....

Edited by jpd80

On 9/18/2019 at 6:26 AM, impretzle said:

I had a 15' ecodiesel since new. It was great until the engine blew at 103,000 miles. They have an inherent flaw with the bearings. It's not if it's gonna blow, it's when. Too bad because I was averaging 27 MPG in a 4wd crew cab with 6' 4" bed.

That's such a shame to hear but equally not surprising, I understand that was part of the reason for the major upgrade.

Owners spend a fortune more for diesel engines, they can't afford for premature failure especially if manufacturer walks away.

I feel for these people in Australia who bout a 2013 Grand Cherokee  from a dealer in 2015

that shit itself and the dealership gave them a $45,000 repair quote.......

https://www.themorningbulletin.com.au/news/familys-50000-jeep-now-worthless/3836512/

Family’s $50,000 Jeep now worthless

by James Hall

21st Sep 2019 4:49 PM

A young family is warning Australians to "stay right away" from buying a Jeep after their $50,000 Grand Cherokee turned to dust.

Danny Lawrence, 31, and his wife Catherine, 28, had heard all the bad things about the notorious car manufacturer but they fell in love with the SUV.

The extra space was perfect for carting their special cargo around Newcastle - their son Parker and daughter Kailey.

The 2013 Grand Cherokee was bought from an authorised Jeep distributor in 2015 and was serviced on time, every time at the dealership despite the excess costs.

But one day the family's only mode of transport spluttered and broke down on the side of the road.

Danny took the SUV back to the dealership in Newcastle who initially thought the battery had failed but it was later discovered the fault lay in the fuel pump. This is a basic part to replace but the failure had spat bits of metal through the fuel system, destroying the engine.

The father-of-two couldn't believe what he was reading when he received a quote from the dealership for just over $47,500, which included the estimated labour needed. The parts alone would cost nearly $40,000.

They were advised to apply directly to the car manufacturer for some kind of "good will" or concession considering the engine failure was irregular and by no means a cause of the owner.

"And they came back and said there's nothing we're going to do for you at all," Mr Lawrence told news.com.au.

"There was no empathy, there was no 'we could try this or we can try that', it was literally just run-of-the-mill for them, which really put me off."

The rejections didn't stop there.

"We went to claim on insurance and they said they can't cover it because it's a part failure and it falls back on Jeep - it's their responsibility to fix it."

Danny has tried seeking independent mechanical advice hoping someone could drastically reduce the price to get his family car back on the road.

But this also failed. "No one will touch it," he said.

"I thought I could buy a second hand engine but I'm yet to find a mechanic that is willing to do it because Jeeps are notorious if you put in parts that aren't from that car because it won't run.

"So now we're left with no car, we've got a mortgage, we've got two kids and it's a large amount of money for us to lose just like that."

News.com.au reached out to Fiat Chrysler Automobiles - who manufacture Jeeps - but the company said it would not be commenting while the complaint was being processed by Fair Trading.

v3imagesbin477bc25637e72c3325d15f1e90102

Edited by jpd80