Seeking Owner Input - Long Term Opinions?

Hi everyone! I had a Navigator L ordered last Spring and ended up passing on it. Just wasn't quite the time in my estimation as our kids were still real small and our minivan really fit the bill at the time. Next summer we will be going on more trips and taking my in-laws along so I will likely order one next Spring.

Would anyone care to share your ongoing opinions of your purchase? Just looking to solidify we are making the right choice. I'm kind of worried about the size around town. I was starting to think we might be able to get away with the standard length, but now I keep reminding myself that with 6 of us in the car regularly we may need the extra cargo space and i just think "why not go with the L"?

Have you been happy with the Lincoln Play rear seat entertainment system?

Many other problems?

Nice try JD Power...

Seriously though after 18 months and 25,000 miles there aren't any big things that would stop me from buying another. There are issues with the electronics regarding the seat memory, radio, side mirrors, ECM, TCM, etc. They have been minor inconveniences to me personally. I tow my family's boat approx 4,000 lbs and it's no problem. I've pulled a travel trailer that weighed 7,000 lbs, I wouldn't recommend much more than that as the braking and swaying gets uncomfortable for me. Having 3 kids being able to separate them is awesome. I'm constantly reminded how quiet the interior is when I ride in friends and families vehicles and get back into the navigator. I wouldn't recommend the rear entertainment system to anyone. After playing with one at the dealer I opted not to get it because if I couldn't figure it out my kids weren't going to be able to. For the money 3 decent tablets for the kids and some headphones goes a long way added bonus you can keep them on educational content. I live in the suburbs and when I'm forced to go downtown I take the wife's car as it is smaller. In Houston parking big vehicles isn't typically a problem due to the abundance of large trucks, parking lots and garages are usually sized to accommodate. I got the L and it's not that bad bulk grocery shopping and being able to put everyone's suitcase in the back on long trips sold it for me.

I think that answered most of your questions. Though I have zero experience of minivans, I rode in one 10 years ago that belonged to my aunt so cannot give an AB comparison. 

The only thing I do often is wonder why I didn't just get an expedition platinum. I would have saved 15k and likely not lost much.

That's my .02 also if I was to buy one now you might as well wait for the 2020 as it is supposed to be getting all of the tech goodies from the aviator like lane centering and some better automated driving.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bcparker2 said:

Nice try JD Power...

Seriously though after 18 months and 25,000 miles there aren't any big things that would stop me from buying another. There are issues with the electronics regarding the seat memory, radio, side mirrors, ECM, TCM, etc. They have been minor inconveniences to me personally. I tow my family's boat approx 4,000 lbs and it's no problem. I've pulled a travel trailer that weighed 7,000 lbs, I wouldn't recommend much more than that as the braking and swaying gets uncomfortable for me. Having 3 kids being able to separate them is awesome. I'm constantly reminded how quiet the interior is when I ride in friends and families vehicles and get back into the navigator. I wouldn't recommend the rear entertainment system to anyone. After playing with one at the dealer I opted not to get it because if I couldn't figure it out my kids weren't going to be able to. For the money 3 decent tablets for the kids and some headphones goes a long way added bonus you can keep them on educational content. I live in the suburbs and when I'm forced to go downtown I take the wife's car as it is smaller. In Houston parking big vehicles isn't typically a problem due to the abundance of large trucks, parking lots and garages are usually sized to accommodate. I got the L and it's not that bad bulk grocery shopping and being able to put everyone's suitcase in the back on long trips sold it for me.

I think that answered most of your questions. Though I have zero experience of minivans, I rode in one 10 years ago that belonged to my aunt so cannot give an AB comparison. 

The only thing I do often is wonder why I didn't just get an expedition platinum. I would have saved 15k and likely not lost much.

That's my .02 also if I was to buy one now you might as well wait for the 2020 as it is supposed to be getting all of the tech goodies from the aviator like lane centering and some better automated driving.

Thanks for the response! I am feeling you on the Lincoln Play ... not sure how it is better than a tablet at all if one can make their phone a hotspot anyhow. I guess it might be easier to plug and play a DVD player into the screens or system if one wanted to do that.

Yeah, we have plenty of trucks here too so parking shouldn't be an issue. I think in general I just like the standard size more appearance-wise so I keep going back to that, but the L is definitely the smart choice for us.

I too have considered the Expedition and wondered that I wouldn't be losing much really -- Heads Up Display (which I love) and a nicer interior, but would be gaining a tactile button for heated steering wheel (going into the screen for that makes no sense to me). I guess a longer warranty and the dealer pick up for service is nice too, but obviously pushing it when you consider about a $13K difference.

I do plan on waiting for the 2020. I guess I thought the Navigator already had lane keep assist and radar cruise? I just thought they were packaging differently now for 2020? I also like the new options for white and silver exterior -- more attractive color options for those two.

FYI, from what I have heard the 2020 Lincoln Play system will still be the same overall operating system, but will have the built in DVD.  Haven't confirmed if it is single or dual, but based on digging through the Voxx-Hirschmann Automotive information, it appears it will be a single DVD on one side only.

6 hours ago, Flying68 said:

FYI, from what I have heard the 2020 Lincoln Play system will still be the same overall operating system, but will have the built in DVD.  Haven't confirmed if it is single or dual, but based on digging through the Voxx-Hirschmann Automotive information, it appears it will be a single DVD on one side only.

Thank you for this information ... that just might be the kicker.

20 hours ago, Husker4theSpurs said:

Thanks for the response! I am feeling you on the Lincoln Play ... not sure how it is better than a tablet at all if one can make their phone a hotspot anyhow. I guess it might be easier to plug and play a DVD player into the screens or system if one wanted to do that.

Yeah, we have plenty of trucks here too so parking shouldn't be an issue. I think in general I just like the standard size more appearance-wise so I keep going back to that, but the L is definitely the smart choice for us.

I too have considered the Expedition and wondered that I wouldn't be losing much really -- Heads Up Display (which I love) and a nicer interior, but would be gaining a tactile button for heated steering wheel (going into the screen for that makes no sense to me). I guess a longer warranty and the dealer pick up for service is nice too, but obviously pushing it when you consider about a $13K difference.

I do plan on waiting for the 2020. I guess I thought the Navigator already had lane keep assist and radar cruise? I just thought they were packaging differently now for 2020? I also like the new options for white and silver exterior -- more attractive color options for those two.

I have 2018 Black Label Burgandy Velvet and Destination Theme ... love it.  It DOES have lane departure/lane keeping (2020 Aviator also has Lane Centering) and Adaptive Speed Control (20 Aviator appears to have enhancements to this for high traffic congestion situations).  The park assist on the 20 Aviator is supposed to handle accelerator, brake and shifting as well as steering.  I hope the 20 Aviator technology enhancements will be incorporated in 21 Navigators.

We ordered our reserve before they hid the dealers and we knew it was somewhat foolhardy at the time but looking back we are so happy we took the chance.  We have two boys still in car seats and the occasional 3rd row passenger but we opted for the regular length over the L and it’s worked well for us.  If we were taking road trips with 6 I think the L would be a requirement to keep from putting a cargo box on the roof,  we tend to pack heavy with the youngsters so your mileage may vary.  Around round it drives just fine, for the size it’s quite nimble and the turning radius is ridiculously tight,  it’s better than the Subaru I traded in.  We skipped on the rear seat entertainment and glad we did as it sounds like more trouble than it’s worth. We absolutely love the home pick up/ drop off for service, so much so we had it added to the extended warranty and maintenance plan we got.  We plan on keeping this vehicle for 10 years (hopefully) so the extra money over the Expedition wasn’t an issue.  On road trips it’s been absolutely worth the money, it’s amazingly comfortable and super quiet.  I recently made an 8 hour drive and only stopped when I was about out If has, afterward I didn’t feel any of the typical back and leg pain as I would from my previous car.  We use our 4 wheel drive as well as we camp, fish, and overland and other than the weird looks from people not expecting to see a Navigator out in the woods it does great.  100% would buy again.

16 minutes ago, boredinbirmingham said:

We ordered our reserve before they hid the dealers and we knew it was somewhat foolhardy at the time but looking back we are so happy we took the chance.  We have two boys still in car seats and the occasional 3rd row passenger but we opted for the regular length over the L and it’s worked well for us.  If we were taking road trips with 6 I think the L would be a requirement to keep from putting a cargo box on the roof,  we tend to pack heavy with the youngsters so your mileage may vary.  Around round it drives just fine, for the size it’s quite nimble and the turning radius is ridiculously tight,  it’s better than the Subaru I traded in.  We skipped on the rear seat entertainment and glad we did as it sounds like more trouble than it’s worth. We absolutely love the home pick up/ drop off for service, so much so we had it added to the extended warranty and maintenance plan we got.  We plan on keeping this vehicle for 10 years (hopefully) so the extra money over the Expedition wasn’t an issue.  On road trips it’s been absolutely worth the money, it’s amazingly comfortable and super quiet.  I recently made an 8 hour drive and only stopped when I was about out If has, afterward I didn’t feel any of the typical back and leg pain as I would from my previous car.  We use our 4 wheel drive as well as we camp, fish, and overland and other than the weird looks from people not expecting to see a Navigator out in the woods it does great.  100% would buy again.

Thanks for this input ... upon a test drive, I actually felt like the Navigator L turned better (radius) than our minivan. With little kids that pick up service would come in very handy. I feel a bit less bad trashing our minivan with typical kid crap (snacks, etc.) than a Navigator though I'd imagine.

6 hours ago, Husker4theSpurs said:

Thanks for this input ... upon a test drive, I actually felt like the Navigator L turned better (radius) than our minivan. With little kids that pick up service would come in very handy. I feel a bit less bad trashing our minivan with typical kid crap (snacks, etc.) than a Navigator though I'd imagine.

The pick up for service is a life saver, my kids would not deal with waiting at the dealership, no way.  The service at my dealer is awesome and they seem to be much better at customer service at the Lincoln dealer than the Ford from what I’ve read from the Expedition owners.  I had a tough time with putting car seats and all the kid related stuff into the brand new 90K vehicle, especially since it is the most expensive vehicle we’ve ever owned.  I just make a point to stay on top of the mess and it hasn’t been an issue.  I have the kids trained to grab any trash and they love the fact that they can help out, now if I could get my wife on board with that it would be nice.  It’s my daily driver and it’s been 20 months and 20k miles and I still look forward to driving it.

• Like 1

On 8/15/2019 at 10:51 AM, bcparker2 said:

The only thing I do often is wonder why I didn't just get an expedition platinum

That is what I thought I wanted, but last July at least there wasn't nearly that much difference in price. Anyway, the Navigator has a much nicer interior and I value the head up display which the Ford does not have. As to the question, I would not hesitate to buy one again. Mine has been very reliable with one loose wire connector as my only warranty issue.  I am very pleased with the truck, but I admit that I don't drive it much in town. 

8 hours ago, DCP said:

That is what I thought I wanted, but last July at least there wasn't nearly that much difference in price. Anyway, the Navigator has a much nicer interior and I value the head up display which the Ford does not have. As to the question, I would not hesitate to buy one again. Mine has been very reliable with one loose wire connector as my only warranty issue.  I am very pleased with the truck, but I admit that I don't drive it much in town. 

Thanks for your input!

What kind of fuel economy are you obtaining on the highway and at what speed?

1 hour ago, Husker4theSpurs said:

Very nice ... any regrets on going with the L over the standard length or did you really not have a choice given family size, etc.?

I had no choice my family is big on road trips, and with 5 of us I need cargo room, but I like the proportions of the L so it wasn't too much of a sacrifice some of the colors lend itself to the L. I don't like the cream or black or blue in L but the burgundy and red look great in my opinion. I opted for burgundy.

3 hours ago, bcparker2 said:

I had no choice my family is big on road trips, and with 5 of us I need cargo room, but I like the proportions of the L so it wasn't too much of a sacrifice some of the colors lend itself to the L. I don't like the cream or black or blue in L but the burgundy and red look great in my opinion. I opted for burgundy.

Thanks for the input ... did you get the 2nd row bench?

I think I am leaning toward the Pristine White L myself w Dark Slate interior myself, but not 100% sure.

On 8/19/2019 at 2:27 PM, Husker4theSpurs said:

4 x 4 or 4 x 2?

Mine is a short 4X2. I use it to tow a race car on an open trailer so I use the back for cargo frequently. So, I got it without the back console. Plus, our kids are grown; nobody would use it. Did a trip across Texas yesterday doing 85 for a good bit and 70-80 in other parts. Overall mileage was 20.3.

On 8/15/2019 at 3:26 PM, Flying68 said:

Any further verification of this?

Husker - I’ll take a guess and say you live near San Antonio. 

I have a ‘19 Reserve L and like it - except for a potentially huge engine issue - it has been at the dealer for 21 days with a likely engine replacement (oil burning engine - down to nearly no oil at 5,000 miles).  Lincoln is having my dealer break down the entire engine and document every component for a TSB or at least some maintenance steps - dealer says it’s because they are one of the largest volume dealers in the country and this is the second Nav in their shop for this problem. 

Otherwise - love the vehicle and chose it over an Expedition.  We have the console 2nd row and have three kids (9,7,3). 

4 hours ago, TexasAggie02 said:

Husker - I’ll take a guess and say you live near San Antonio. 

I have a ‘19 Reserve L and like it - except for a potentially huge engine issue - it has been at the dealer for 21 days with a likely engine replacement (oil burning engine - down to nearly no oil at 5,000 miles).  Lincoln is having my dealer break down the entire engine and document every component for a TSB or at least some maintenance steps - dealer says it’s because they are one of the largest volume dealers in the country and this is the second Nav in their shop for this problem. 

Otherwise - love the vehicle and chose it over an Expedition.  We have the console 2nd row and have three kids (9,7,3). 

I would love to, but maybe not for about 20 years. If I'm still a Spurs fan maybe we'll settle there for retirement (as long as Texas still has no state income tax) :) There or Austin likely. Where in Texas are you?

The engine issues kind of scare me ... does the Raptor have these same issues?

Anything else you haven't liked about the Navigator? We have a side port garage for 2 car spots and a straight in drive for one spot and it was hard getting into our side port with the L the first time around on a test drive. Might have to do some rearranging of where we park each car if we end up with one. I don't know why I'm hedging so much on this purchase. I backed out of an order last year and feel like I'm talking myself into one now although I know it's the best choice for us coming up soon. Kids will be old enough to travel more and in-laws will likely travel with us. Would be nice to have the family hauler be 4wd and will definitely be taking it on some shaky gravel roads here and there down the road. I know I will want one come next summer, so then I tell myself "why not have it for the upcoming winter as well?" We had a super tough winter last year.

11 hours ago, Husker4theSpurs said:

I would love to, but maybe not for about 20 years. If I'm still a Spurs fan maybe we'll settle there for retirement (as long as Texas still has no state income tax) :) There or Austin likely. Where in Texas are you?

The engine issues kind of scare me ... does the Raptor have these same issues?

Anything else you haven't liked about the Navigator? We have a side port garage for 2 car spots and a straight in drive for one spot and it was hard getting into our side port with the L the first time around on a test drive. Might have to do some rearranging of where we park each car if we end up with one. I don't know why I'm hedging so much on this purchase. I backed out of an order last year and feel like I'm talking myself into one now although I know it's the best choice for us coming up soon. Kids will be old enough to travel more and in-laws will likely travel with us. Would be nice to have the family hauler be 4wd and will definitely be taking it on some shaky gravel roads here and there down the road. I know I will want one come next summer, so then I tell myself "why not have it for the upcoming winter as well?" We had a super tough winter last year.

:) I’m in San Antonio - great city. 

Engine Issue - seems to happen with the V8 F-150 engine and some minor

reports on the Raptor forums.   I don’t think it’s wide spread - but still something I wasn’t expecting and a little disappointed about it all. 

Other than that - the only thing that is frustrating is the kids finger prints and all the piano black everywhere.  But not much you can do about that. 

The pros far outweigh the cons to me.  Super comfortable, kids love it, really enjoy the HUD and overall power of the engine (when it works). 

We did install high quality window tinting around the doors and windshield (the clear film) which has helped keep it cool.  It is a big vehicle, but my F150 is bigger and it’s about the same size as our previous Expedition EL. 

Edited by TexasAggie02