GT electric driving range of 18 miles

alfredck

Based on the real-world reviews from the GT First Drive reviews that hit today, 18-24 seems to be a reliable range estimate. 

From the Detroit Free Press: "The EPA hasn’t rated the Aviator’s electric range yet, but Lincoln engineers talk confidently about 18 miles. Based on my afternoon driving a loaded Grand Touring around the Napa Valley — on a 105-degree day when I kept the air conditioning cranked — Lincoln’s estimated range looks quite attainable."

From Autoblog: "As is becoming an annoying trend in the industry, this hybrid's fuel economy figures were not available during the press launch. Neither was the official electric-only range, but chief engineer John Davis indicated it would likely be 19 miles, a figure we found echoed by the in-car range meter at start up. We managed to eke out 24 miles on one hilly rural highway." 

Note that the real-world range tests were done during the Napa Valley Lincoln-sponsored first drive event, with temperatures over 100 degrees and with air conditioning cranked up. So the range might be a little more on more temperate days without the need for much air conditioning or a little worse in the winter due to cold weather sapping electricity from the batteries.

2 hours ago, mustangchief said:

If they eked out 24 on hilly roads with American driving style, 50KM will be easy on a controlled course.  

Not so sure.  It seems like a lot of mixed opinions from the various reviews.  A number criticized  the limited range and EV power , along with the transmission/ICE/EV interaction - although I suspect that issue can be readily solved with software. The real question is can it in fact do normal duty in actual city driving - stop and start with adequate acceleration in EV mode. Not too interested in EV range on the freeway.  Perhaps the most important question will be what the actual MPG will be in comparison to the base model.  It seems clear the extra weight is noticeable in driving and that is of course not a good thing if the only benefit is a quicker 0-60.  One review showed an optimistic 24+ mpg in their use which in the real world would be positive.  Obviously will need to wait for more substantive reviews, real world experiences and focused test drives.

1 hour ago, msm859 said:

Not so sure.  It seems like a lot of mixed opinions from the various reviews.  A number criticized  the limited range and EV power , along with the transmission/ICE/EV interaction - although I suspect that issue can be readily solved with software. The real question is can it in fact do normal duty in actual city driving - stop and start with adequate acceleration in EV mode. Not too interested in EV range on the freeway.  Perhaps the most important question will be what the actual MPG will be in comparison to the base model.  It seems clear the extra weight is noticeable in driving and that is of course not a good thing if the only benefit is a quicker 0-60.  One review showed an optimistic 24+ mpg in their use which in the real world would be positive.  Obviously will need to wait for more substantive reviews, real world experiences and focused test drives.

You have to drive your own, or if you test drive one, check the mileage.  Most people get to enamored with the bells and whistles and forget what's really important, the engine.  Some will have great mileage and some will be a smidge less.  The Res II I drove was excellent, if I get even a small bit of extra mileage and performance for 2500 more clams I'll be happy.  There are plenty of options out there for those who don't like what is delivered.  I'm pretty sure they will get the klicks, even if its not on route 66. 

• Like 1

Don't forget that the new assembly line at the MOD Center, where final assembly of the GT and Explorer Hybrid will be done, isn't going to be up and running until the fourth quarter.  So all of the GTs used for the Napa Valley test drives had to be preproduction units.  I imagine production models, espically after "OK to buy" for the new assembly line, will be more refined and have more consistent performance between units.

2 hours ago, mustangchief said:

You have to drive your own, or if you test drive one, check the mileage.  Most people get to enamored with the bells and whistles and forget what's really important, the engine.  Some will have great mileage and some will be a smidge less.  The Res II I drove was excellent, if I get even a small bit of extra mileage and performance for 2500 more clams I'll be happy.  There are plenty of options out there for those who don't like what is delivered.  I'm pretty sure they will get the klicks, even if its not on route 66. 

Yes, I will be driving it before any decision - something I have not done in @ 20 years before buying a car.  The last time I was on Route 66 was on the way home from a factory delivery of a new C6 Corvette - made it a point to go on it - even to the end after a detour to Vegas - Santa Monica Pier.  May have to do that again in a C8.

• Like 1

From all the GT first drive reviews I've read it seems that in (standard) mixed hybrid mode you get a bump of about 4-5 mpg combined with much greater performance from a standing start.

In all-electric mode you get that same kind of standing-start performance due to the electric motor's high torque at zero mph, but it will overall provide nothing like the kind of power or driving experience one would expect and demand from a luxury all-electric vehicle (because, well, that is not what it is or even tries to be). 

26 minutes ago, Gurgeh said:

In all-electric mode you get that same kind of standing-start performance due to the electric motor's high torque at zero mph, but it will overall provide nothing like the kind of power or driving experience one would expect and demand from a luxury all-electric vehicle (because, well, that is not what it is or even tries to be). 

Bingo!

11 hours ago, CoolScoop said:

Don't forget that the new assembly line at the MOD Center, where final assembly of the GT and Explorer Hybrid will be done, isn't going to be up and running until the fourth quarter.  So all of the GTs used for the Napa Valley test drives had to be preproduction units.  I imagine production models, espically after "OK to buy" for the new assembly line, will be more refined and have more consistent performance between units.

This is a long running problem with Ford and press vehicles.   They're either still working out problems or they just pay no attention to details and don't seem to care.   For this one I'm sure it's the former but as a Ford fan it's frustrating to see it happen over and over and have to explain and make excuses.

26 minutes ago, akirby said:

This is a long running problem with Ford and press vehicles.   They're either still working out problems or they just pay no attention to details and don't seem to care.   For this one I'm sure it's the former but as a Ford fan it's frustrating to see it happen over and over and have to explain and make excuses.

Look at how many of us impatient folks clamor for more more more info.  The early release is to stoke the fires of interest.  And you have to get the info out by September for those Christmas shopping.?

11 hours ago, msm859 said:

Yes, I will be driving it before any decision - something I have not done in @ 20 years before buying a car.  The last time I was on Route 66 was on the way home from a factory delivery of a new C6 Corvette - made it a point to go on it - even to the end after a detour to Vegas - Santa Monica Pier.  May have to do that again in a C8.

You'll most likely drive across I40 if you do the factory delivery, you can take a pause in Little Rock and meet up if you like.  I do the I40 run from LR to New Mexico to see my Son.  I'll jump off onto 66 in Oklahoma sometimes.  

For my first post on Blue Oval Forums I'm going to come in here and flog/punch/kick the dead horse some more. 

I agree with the comment that more all-electric range would have been nice. First off, I currently drive a Volvo S90 T8 (sedan version of the XC90 T8),  which is a PHEV.  The most satisfying part of the drive by far is when it's gliding in all electric mode.  Unfortunately, between the fact that I need to gingerly accelerate to keep it in pure electric, and the roughly 20 mile range, I don't get to make use of all electric nearly as much as I'd like.  0-60 in that boat is still sub 5 seconds for the same reasons the GT will be quick - that electric motor torque is solid and instant.  However, as much as it's nice having that performance on tap, day-to-day the gliding of all-electric driving is something I get joy from for far more of my seat-time.  I can imagine that the GT could be the same...great to have the performance, but the gliding (which I think is a term Lincoln uses iirc) is something extra special when all-electric.

FWIW I currently have a deposit on the Rivian R1S - https://rivian.com/r1s/.  While they position it as an "adventure vehicle", and it has nowhere near the luxury of the GT,  to me the combination of utility, power, range, 3 rows, and minimalist cabin may ultimately be the ticket.  I'm primarily worried the first batch of R1S's, which should be coming out right as my S90 T8 is up, will be WELL north of the $72k starting price.  Then there's the fact it's a lot of money for a car from a new untested company.  Forgetting about price, my perfect car would be the electric drivetrain of the Rivian with the luxury of the Aviator.  I'm happy Ford dropped $500MM into Rivian earlier this year because that tells me we'll eventually see something close to that. 

BTW, I sat in a Black Label earlier this week and it is so incredibly nice - I envy anyone who ends up with one.  Unfortunately we need a 2nd row bench, so a black label GT isn't in the cards for us.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, millim said:

For my first post on Blue Oval Forums I'm going to come in here and flog/punch/kick the dead horse some more. 

I agree with the comment that more all-electric range would have been nice. First off, I currently drive a Volvo S90 T8 (sedan version of the XC90 T8),  which is a PHEV.  The most satisfying part of the drive by far is when it's gliding in all electric mode.  Unfortunately, between the fact that I need to gingerly accelerate to keep it in pure electric, and the roughly 20 mile range, I don't get to make use of all electric nearly as much as I'd like.  0-60 in that boat is still sub 5 seconds for the same reasons the GT will be quick - that electric motor torque is solid and instant.  However, as much as it's nice having that performance on tap, day-to-day the gliding of all-electric driving is something I get joy from for far more of my seat-time.  I can imagine that the GT could be the same...great to have the performance, but the gliding (which I think is a term Lincoln uses iirc) is something extra special when all-electric.

How many miles on your S90 and what is your lifetime mpg? I was one of those hoping for more EV range.  I thought ideal would be at least 31 miles and a stronger electric motor.  So what do you mean by having to "gingerly accelerate"?

20 minutes ago, msm859 said:

How many miles on your S90 and what is your lifetime mpg? I was one of those hoping for more EV range.  I thought ideal would be at least 31 miles and a stronger electric motor.  So what do you mean by having to "gingerly accelerate"?

Unfortunately the S90's trip meter functionality has been reset so often that I don't have a solid lifetime number (wife has the car right now but I'll check later to see if that number is available somewhere).  Since it also has a range of nearly 20 miles, and both my wife and I have RT commutes in that range, we can *mostly* use electric if we're driving with a very soft foot.  I regularly get over 100 mpge for short trips around town, but on longer trips my average can come down to 40's (or lower on really long trips).  If I had to guess I'd say that given most of our driving patterns we're around mid-40's in overall mpge.

For the S90 "gingerly accelerating", think of the way Volvo does it as more or less comparing to a tach (see image below).  As long as you keep the needle in the blue area of the tach (on the right), regardless of whether you are in hybrid mode or pure ev mode, you will only be using electric.  If you get out of that line (which more or less overlaps with RPMs) the gas kicks in.  If you select "Pure EV" driving it pushes that threshold up a bit (the blue moves further up the curve), but it's still relatively low. The moment the needle goes over that limit the gas engine automatically kicks in. 

2018-Volvo-S90-R-Design-Polestar-Car-Rev

Alternatively, from what I heard in one of the reviews, Lincoln has done it better (for how I'd want it).  If you tell it you want pure EV mode it will stay in pure EV mode no matter how hard you accelerate unless you give it permission to go back to hybrid mode.  Downside could be slower acceleration in an emergency situation...upside is you can push the car as hard as it will go in pure EV and not worry about gas kicking in.  Hope that makes sense.

Edited by millim
  • Like 2

Millim,

Sounds like the Lincoln product you'll really be wanting is the all-electric mid-sized crossover slated for model year 2023 (possibly arriving late 2022). (There will be a Ford corporate cousin as well.) FMC hasn't released much info on it yet other than its general size and arrival date. This will be the company's second BEV, after the smaller "Mustang-inspired" performance car-like crossover that will be unveiled in November and out late next year.