Aviator Reviews

11 hours ago, EcoBoost said:

I'm highly interested in the first review of the GT!

From Autoblog: "Should you be interested in greater fuel economy and performance, there's also the Aviator Grand Touring plug-in hybrid, but we can't talk about that for another two days due to a publication embargo. Stay tuned."

Does the Grand Touring publication embargo expiring on Thursday mean production has has finally begun or will be starting soon?  Anyone with a GT on order get it scheduled yet?

It is just me, or do these reviews vary greatly? One review says the seats aren't comfy, the other says they are excellent. One review "estimates" a 0-60 mph time of 7.5 seconds, while car and driver estimates 5.1-5.3 seconds. I'm thinking some of these folks got a little lost during the press event. Maybe they need a full week with the vehicle and some GPS-based timers. Strange, but not completely surprising.

Thoughts? Have you all read many of the new reviews today? 

I read 2 or 3  reviews on different web sites, and all are very complimentary, but don't really praise it as much as I would expect. I see a commonality here in regards to the 30-way power seats - seems like most reviews I read are not convinced in their comfort.  I guess I will have to see for myself, but it's not very easy to figure out how comfortable the seats are on a test drive. That would be the deal breaker for me though, so I'm, waiting for more reviews. Consumer Reports also mentioned that they found Navigator seats not very comfortable,  and sounds like Aviator seats are very similar to those of Navigator. I guess time will tell. 

1 minute ago, AlexLexusAviator said:

I read 2 or 3  reviews on different web sites, and all are very complimentary, but don't really praise it as much as I would expect. I see a commonality here in regards to the 30-way power seats - seems like most reviews I read are not convinced in their comfort.  I guess I will have to see for myself, but it's not very easy to figure out how comfortable the seats are on a test drive. That would be the deal breaker for me though, so I'm, waiting for more reviews. Consumer Reports also mentioned that they found Navigator seats not very comfortable,  and sounds like Aviator seats are very similar to those of Navigator. I guess time will tell. 

In regards to the seats, I know in my experience they DO take a while to find your optimal position - which means the reviewer would have had to take some extra time to find that perfect comfy position. I'm willing to bet that most did not take much time. However, that optimal position is there if you search for it - in my opinion. It may take you several minutes. 

From a performance and luxury standpoint, the Black Label Aviator holds its own against those two competitors. First- and second-row seat comfort, however, are its biggest negatives, so be sure to pay extra attention to both if you take the Lincoln for a test drive.

----form Cars.com

I find it hilarious that we are getting the seats aren't comfortable comments. It's like most reviewers don't want to take them time to adjust to their optimal position. ADD in the reviewer just says, they are uncomfortable! Well there are 30 ways to adjust, did you spend enough time trying to do that? No. Is that too many variables for you to process? Yes. Complain away.

Car and driver said the ride was choppy. What does that mean? Also too much hard plastic on switch gear. What does that mean?

3 minutes ago, jcartwright99 said:

I find it hilarious that we are getting the seats aren't comfortable comments. It's like most reviewers don't want to take them time to adjust to their optimal position. ADD in the reviewer just says, they are uncomfortable! Well there are 30 ways to adjust, did you spend enough time trying to do that? No. Is that too many variables for you to process? Yes. Complain away.

Car and driver said the ride was choppy. What does that mean? Also too much hard plastic on switch gear. What does that mean?

I guess they want gold platted stainless steel based real crystal switches.?

The 2018 Navigator pretty much got the praise and accolades it deserved because it didn't compete directly with the car mags beloved Euro brands... but the Aviator is the first true domestic threat to those brands, so it's no surprise that they're looking hard for things to complain about while limiting praise on the things they can't.  It will be interesting to see all of the silly things they come up with for the GT on Thursday since it's an even bigger threat to the Euro boys performance wise... 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AutomotiveAddicts said:

In regards to the seats, I know in my experience they DO take a while to find your optimal position - which means the reviewer would have had to take some extra time to find that perfect comfy position. I'm willing to bet that most did not take much time. However, that optimal position is there if you search for it - in my opinion. It may take you several minutes. 

It took me almost the whole day and about 200 miles to get them dialed in, but oh boy, when they are dialed in, it was amazing.  I'll caveat that with I have back issues from wearing combat boots to work and picking up heavy things for 30 years.  Seat comfort is why I buy what I buy for long trips.  I had Yukon Denali's from 03 -12 and they had the best seats out there.  IMO the Caddy seats along with the Benz are really comfy up to an hour, then I get fidgety.  I sat in these for 3 hours and had no back issues the day after I dialed them in.  Lots of great seats out there for 1 hour drives, but I spend 19 at a time.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Wheeling said:

From a performance and luxury standpoint, the Black Label Aviator holds its own against those two competitors. First- and second-row seat comfort, however, are its biggest negatives, so be sure to pay extra attention to both if you take the Lincoln for a test drive.

----form Cars.com

My back seat passengers loved the tester, they said it was their most comfortable ride in many years (well they barked it to me)  The floors fold flat, the dogs love walking, looking over my shoulder to make sure we are headed towards the park.  The window height is perfect for my labs.  I have the full console on order, so I will either have to have a cover made or find one already out there.  The pup in my pic is a 70 pound pointador (Lab German short hair pointer mix)  He loved the car, I think more than my truck.  

• Like 2

On 8/23/2019 at 2:31 PM, AlexLexusAviator said:

I think this is a very well written and fair-sounding review.  Fuel Economy section gave me info I couldn't get from other reviews yet

https://www.jdpower.com/cars/expert-reviews/2020-Lincoln-Aviator-Review?make=Lincoln&model=Aviator

It also provides insight into why performance over fuel economy won out.  I was surprised to see fuel economy in last place of who gives a crap.  I'm within 5% of the median, maybe that's why I like it.  

Another review I watched (TFL car, I think) mentions that when the car is in pure EV mode, it's rather slow. I don't know all the mechanics of this particular hybrid setup, but  I was

rather naively hoping that even though the range is short, it would be still fun to drive. However, if it really is slow ( the reviewer mentioned slow acceleration from 40mph), 

I don't really see the point of having that EV only mode at all.  To be fair, it seems that Porsche Cayenne is not super fast in EV mode either. Go figure