Ford Creating Families Around Mustang, Bronco

https://www.motortrend.com/news/ford-creating-families-around-mustang-bronco/

The lineup is further expanding with a performance electric vehicle, an SUV with Mustang styling cues. Developed on Ford's new electric vehicle architecture, it will launch in 2020.

It is being done with kid gloves, Ford President and CEO Jim Hackett told MotorTrend in an interview. "We have to thread the needle on this really carefully because this franchise has just got such clarity that it is not going to evolve away from what its leverage is. It's not going to be that. But there's a couple derivations here."

It makes marketing sense to leverage the Mustang name—gaining name recognition for a new nameplate requires a lot of time and money. Ford has big marketing plans to ensure the electric SUV makes a big social media splash before it goes on sale next year. "It's that powerful a brand," Hackett said.

So are they going to call it a Mustang or just the Mach name for it? I think using the Mustang name or badging would be a big mistake 

Any spy shots of the electric vehicle yet? If it’s coming out in 2020, you’d think we’d be seeing them soon.

As for the name, I kinda liked Mach 1 for it (as long as it’s fast like a Tesla). Obviously if they were going to make a Mach 1 mustang id prefer that, but they have had plenty of opportunities to do that since 2004 and chose not to. I also liked the model E name, but that doesn’t sound very good on a car with mustang looks. That should be reserved for a bolt competitor that’s geared for mileage and not speed.

22 minutes ago, T-dubz said:

Any spy shots of the electric vehicle yet? If it’s coming out in 2020, you’d think we’d be seeing them soon.

As for the name, I kinda liked Mach 1 for it (as long as it’s fast like a Tesla). Obviously if they were going to make a Mach 1 mustang id prefer that, but they have had plenty of opportunities to do that since 2004 and chose not to. I also liked the model E name, but that doesn’t sound very good on a car with mustang looks. That should be reserved for a bolt competitor that’s geared for mileage and not speed.

I think we may have seen a frankemule (I think it was a chopped up Escape?) several months ago, but I don't recall seeing anything recently.

2 hours ago, T-dubz said:

Ive been told of prototype bodies floating around but no finished functioning prototypes as far as I've heard. 

Wouldn't shock me if there are any and they're only out at night like the Bronco prototypes. 

Edited by fuzzymoomoo
  • Like 1

Please Ford, do NOT put a pony or Mustang badge on this "electric SUV". It has NOTHING to do with what Mustang stands for and shares zero DNA. Does 55 years of heritage mean nothing?

I understand they dropped the Mach 1 name due to backlash from Mustang fans, and it'll now be called Mach E. Well, Ford, you can still expect an even bigger backlash if you put a pony on its nose or call it a Mustang.

If this Electric SUV is any good, it'd be a success without having to rely on Mustang for any added "cool factor".

• Like 2

I was just thinking the Falcon would be a fitting name for the BEV as the later Aussie versions
drew inspiration from Mustang while not being a four door copy of it.........

I know what JH is trying to do but he has to tread carefully here, there's not many new Mustang buyers left
so maybe Ford is gonna put the hard word on the brand without much fear of severe blow-back.

6 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Because originally the Falcon came first and was the basis for the 1964 1/2 Mustang. 

That would give Ford all sorts of opportunities to trumpet the new vehicle's roots.

For example, Ford could say that in 1964, the practical Falcon was used as the basis for the Mustang, which influenced the development of sporty cars both here and overseas (Toyota Celica, for example). Now, over 50 years later, we have come full circle, as the Mustang's heritage and strong brand name are serving as the basis for a new generation of practical vehicles designed to address concerns regarding our future.

Or something...

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, 02MustangGT said:

I wish, JPD...Mach whatever is going to be ~$70k if it offers similar capabilities as the Model X.  

I bet it’s cheaper. thats Jaguar I-pace and Tesla model x pricing. If there’s a Lincoln version, sure maybe around there, but I’d imagine the ford starting around $50k.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, T-dubz said:

I bet it’s cheaper. thats Jaguar I-pace and Tesla model x pricing. If there’s a Lincoln version, sure maybe around there, but I’d imagine the ford starting around $50k.

Model X starts at $81k.  I realize all the pricing is before any tax credits.  We shall see, but I highly doubt this premium sport BEV is starting at $50k.  

2 hours ago, 02MustangGT said:

I wish, JPD...Mach whatever is going to be ~$70k if it offers similar capabilities as the Model X.  

Model X is a Mid sized utility/crossover, I'm pretty sure that Mach E is a compact crossover
more about Model 3  size..so that gives me hope that the price will be a lot less.

The BEVs are actually less complicated to build than an ICE and both Ford and GM are
beginning to say the cost of ICE vs BEV is approaching tipping point ......all good signs.

Remember, Ford saw what happened when GM tried to sell a Cadillac ELR for $65K,
they won't make that mistake with Mach E.....at least, I hope not. :)

Edited by jpd80

14 minutes ago, 02MustangGT said:

Model X starts at $81k.  I realize all the pricing is before any tax credits.  We shall see, but I highly doubt this premium sport BEV is starting at $50k.  

jaguar I-pace starts at $69k

audi etron starts at $74k

mercedes EQC is rumored to start around $70k

polestar 2 starts at $55k

These are all luxury brands. Again, Lincoln fits better here. If the ford cost as much as the luxury brands do that would mean the Lincoln would have to be even more expensive. 

These luxury brands make up the top end, the Kia niro like vehicles make up the bottom end. I’d imagine the Mach e would be on the upper end of the midrange vehicles. 

Who knows though, I could be way off

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, T-dubz said:

These are all luxury brands. Again, Lincoln fits better here. If the ford cost as much as the luxury brands do that would mean the Lincoln would have to be even more expensive. 

These luxury brands make up the top end, the Kia niro like vehicles make up the bottom end. I’d imagine the Mach e would be on the upper end of the midrange vehicles. 

Not way off IMO but consider the effect of a mass producer like Ford "arriving" in these or other BEV segments,
are they gonna play nice and cosy with pricing or are they gonna chop the legs off low volume competition?

Who really knows....

Edited by jpd80

34 minutes ago, T-dubz said:

Good stuff!  If what jpd80 states is true and the Mach is indeed a compact CUV, I could see a $50k starting price.  I was expecting more of a midsize CUV (comparable to Edge in size), either way...I am excited to see what Ford has to offer.  

Out of curiosity I searched the local dealer for I-pace inventory.  The dealer has 5 in stock, least expensive is $85k.  

Edited by 02MustangGT

On 8/16/2019 at 8:39 PM, 02MustangGT said:

Good stuff!  If what jpd80 states is true and the Mach is indeed a compact CUV, I could see a $50k starting price.  I was expecting more of a midsize CUV (comparable to Edge in size), either way...I am excited to see what Ford has to offer.  

Out of curiosity I searched the local dealer for I-pace inventory.  The dealer has 5 in stock, least expensive is $85k.  

I think the i-Paces are way overpriced.

• Like 1