5 star tunes on Explorer

First thing I see is that their stock 93 octane run doesn't come close to Livernois's stock 93 run, makes me wonder about the variation in the motors.  5 Star's looks much closer to what a normal engine should be.

Second thing is the tune on E50. Either use E85 (more common) or keep it at 93 octane for a direct comparison with stock.

12 hours ago, Flying68 said:

First thing I see is that their stock 93 octane run doesn't come close to Livernois's stock 93 run, makes me wonder about the variation in the motors.  5 Star's looks much closer to what a normal engine should be.

Second thing is the tune on E50. Either use E85 (more common) or keep it at 93 octane for a direct comparison with stock.

I can't tell which is which (e50 vs 93).  One has more HP, one has more TQ and both varied by about 7.  Livernois showed stock torque was at 405 at the rear wheels on a factory rated 415.  So either Ford is sandbagging the rating or Livernois has an issue with their dyno.  371RWTQ seems more accurate.

Also, concerned about the 10r60 holding all that power.  Although some really impressive numbers, i'd opt for a lower power tune from them just to keep everything together. 

Edited by blwnsmoke

7 minutes ago, Flying68 said:

I think 5 Stars two highest pulls are both E50 runs, the 311/372 run is stock tune on 93 octane. Here is there chart with the 93 octane performance tune added.

FB_IMG_1565965803594.thumb.jpg.16e454b45f640a693a2a6ec834b0f808.jpg

I will clarify with them today or Monday (I'm working on a group buy with them for the ST currently).  I believe it is as follows

E50 Performance  405/536

93 Performance (they are offering a Performance tune which modifies shifting and gear holds) 412/529

93 Stock (this is still their tune but with closer to stock shifting for your Daily Driver) 342/481

93 Ford Tune 310/371

Only the 93 Stock tune allows for the factory rated towing, the 93 Performance does not (similar to their 6.7 Powerstroke tunes).  From their website:

"We off 2 styles of tuning for the 2020+ Ford Explorer ST.  Daily Street tunes and Performance only tunes. Each style you can get 85-94 octane.  The main difference between the Daily/Street and Performance/Offroad tunes is mainly in the transmission tuning.  The Daily Street is set up for more the in town less aggressive driving.  The Performance only tunes have more aggressive shifting and centers around good torque to accelerate in any gear."

So I believe the 93 Stock of 342/481 is their Daily Tune with factory tow rating.  

Edited by blwnsmoke

Could be.  Either way it is interesting to see that the OEM line shows about an 11% driveline loss at peak torque, but a 23% loss at peak horsepower.  So the engines appear to be putting out more initial torque than Ford advertised, or there is something funky going on during these dyno runs.

For comparison: ST via Car and Driver is 400hp @5500 / 415lbft @3500 rpm.  Lincoln has the same horsepower but published 415lbft @3000 rpm for torque.  Livernois had 322hp @5000 and 406lbft @3400 (theirs has a strange hump between 3000 and 3700 rpm.  Some of this may be due to temperature, pressure, and humidity, but wouldn't think they would be as far apart as they are.  In both cases though the engines look like they are getting more boost down low and the peak horsepower is coming in 5000 rpm and peak torque at 3500 rpm.  The horsepower looks to flatten out from 5000 to 5500 rpm, the torque rise makes a break over around 2500 rpm and has a gradual rise to 3500 rpm (I would assume this is where the turbos are reaching peak boost).

You might also find out if they are using manual mode to hold the 1:1 gear ratio on the pull (7th I think).