Aviator and Explorer front suspension

Why would ford have a new vehicle platform with two different front suspensions?

the new Aviator utilizes SLA design and the New Explorer utilizes s modified strut design.

At first I thought the Aviator would require a short, long a arm design for the air suspension but the aviator is offered with a conventional spring as base!

Is this cost driven? We made the full circle in the last 30 years.  From SLA to simple strut and now back

edselford

59 minutes ago, edselford said:

Why would ford have a new vehicle platform with two different front suspensions?

If the suspension "hard points" are the same on the chassis architecture, then you can spec up an SLA suspension for your upscale products while keeping costs in check for the rest of the vehicles that share that architecture by spec'ing up a lower cost, but effective McStrut suspension for the lower end of the line. It gives differentiation so that we no longer have to deal with "tarted up" Fords when we want a Lincoln.

• Like 1

All the above is correct, the SLAS suspension is a superior set up for handling/road holding and minimum tire scrub
while the Mac Strut with a knuckle is the equivalent of GM's superstrut, it's an efficient low cost front suspension that
allows Ford to do away with the upper control arm and large outer link for significant cost savings.

ford_explorer_with_rear-drive_platform_u

cq5dam.web.768.768.jpeg&f=1

• Like 1

It also shows the flexibility of CD6 in allowing it  to cover a broader envelope of vehicles with  less compromise,
I can now see how a future Mustang could be wrapped up in CD6 without suffering a massive weight gain or size blow out.

Such a shame that car sales are on the slide at the very time Ford looks to have the answer to economy of scales,
maybe there's an opportunity to add something back in once all the other more important product vacancies are filled.
Jim Hackett's  intent was to get development costs down to a manageable level so that niche products can be looked at.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jpd80 said:

I wonder if the strut suspension also has to do with the majority of Explorers being the 2.3 I-4 EBs

Probably not since the Explorer ST also has struts.  It's more about price points and greater distinction between the Explorer and Aviator. 

15 minutes ago, CoolScoop said:

Probably not since the Explorer ST also has struts.  It's more about price points and greater distinction between the Explorer and Aviator. 

Yeah, I was kind of alluding to that when I said the majority of Explorers being the 2.3 EB and,
I agree that there's a big cost saving to be had by making all Explorers with Strut front suspension.

Equally, your second point is just as valid, the use of SLAS in the Aviator is there to set it apart form the Explorers,
both in price and in the way Aviators feel to drive, an extra level of refinement and another point of differentiation.

Guys

Thank you for your inputs on this subject!

After reading article pointed out by CoolScoop, I don’t think it’s going to be an Explorer for me.

I had two Taurus’s and a 2011 Explorer that needed strut replacements after only 40,000 miles.

I also wondered why vehicles ride quality was great at highway speeds but poor at low speeds and now I know why.

edselford

I was driving on Michigan roads, mostly paved but pretty bad because of the severe winters.

I did learn that on the Taurus, they have two different front struts. One is for normal duty with three attaching points and another for severe duty with four attaching points.

I guess the severe duty was used on Taurus/Explorer police and possibly the SHO.

Yes, I was shocked at the cost off replacing a strut and if one goes, ford recommends changing both!

edselford

3 minutes ago, edselford said:

Yes, I was shocked at the cost off replacing a strut and if one goes, ford recommends changing both!

edselford

But, not if it under warranty. My Lincoln MKC with magnetic ride suspension had a passenger front shock shit the bed and try as I might, the dealership would only replace the one strut and not both fronts. 

• Haha 1

On 8/20/2019 at 11:50 PM, twintornados said:

But, not if it under warranty. My Lincoln MKC with magnetic ride suspension had a passenger front shock shit the bed and try as I might, the dealership would only replace the one strut and not both fronts. 

and if you were out of warranty /paying for it, I bet that they'd insist that you replace the pair.