Engine swap

DFalk

I just purchased a 54 customline with the original 223 inline 6cyl and 2spd automatic trans. I have the opportunity to buy a 56 292 bored 30 over from the seller to put in place of the 223.  Question is will this hurt the value of the car being it is not the original engine. The car is all original as is now. 

2 hours ago, DFalk said:

I just purchased a 54 customline with the original 223 inline 6cyl and 2spd automatic trans. I have the opportunity to buy a 56 292 bored 30 over from the seller to put in place of the 223.  Question is will this hurt the value of the car being it is not the original engine. The car is all original as is now. 

Hi DFalk.  Although there are a lot of other factors involved in assessing the value of a classic car, generally speaking, yes, it would hurt the value if you were looking to sell it. Most buyers of that type of classic car would value originality. Again, that is generally speaking and there are too many variables for a definitive answer.

Another way to look at it: How would you have valued the car when you purchased it, if it had not been original? Would you have paid the same price, talked them down, paid more?

Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...

The question you have to ultimately ask is what do you want to do with it? Did you buy it to "flip it" to make some cash or did you buy it for personal enjoyment. If it is the latter and you are not worried about what the car would be valued at post engine swap, go for it. But the only question I have is why bother with the ancient 292 Y Block? Depending on your budget, you can drop in a nice 302/351 small block Ford or maybe even a nice 351 Cleveland and sell off the 223 6 / 2 speed trans along with selling the 292 and have some fun...if you really have a good budget, get a 5.0L Coyote / 6 speed combo and an 8.8 Traction-Lok rear with some 3.73 rear gears for some real sneaky fun...

Bottom line is, your car - your rules.  PS: lets see some pics of that Customline beast!!

Edited by twintornados