GM July 2019 Approximate Sales Figures

rmc523

8 hours ago, Dequindre said:

Not a bad month for GM, all things considered. 

However, I'm not getting good vibes from Cadillac's sales figures. Tanking sedan sales can somewhat be excused due to prevailing market trends, but even their crossovers are kind of treading water. 

Cadillac cars requires clarification, ATS/CTS are now out of production having been replaced by CT4 and CT5<
getting figures on these is extremely difficult at the moment and it's one of the problems of patchy data.
Cadillac's Utility sales  on the other hand are actually up 60% last month and 20% year to date, a good transition.

The problem I see for GM is their truck sales are faltering a bit...Their Utility sales are actually up about 85K..

GM Totals; YTD: (for comparison Ford)

"Cars" -91K (-69K)
"CUVs" +85K (-20K)
"Trucks" -33K (+46K)

35 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

Cadillac cars requires clarification, ATS/CTS are now out of production having been replaced by CT4 and CT5<
getting figures on these is extremely difficult at the moment and it's one of the problems of patchy data.
Cadillac's Utility sales  on the other hand are actually up 60% last month and 20% year to date, a good transition.

The problem I see for GM is their truck sales are faltering a bit...Their Utility sales are actually up about 85K..

GM Totals; YTD: (for comparison Ford)

"Cars" -91K (-69K)
"CUVs" +85K (-20K)
"Trucks" -33K (+46K)

The XT4 is starting to cannibalize the XT5 already. That will probably get worse as the XT5 gets further into its life-cycle.

The Escalade had a good month though. GM must be throwing some incentives at it. 

28 minutes ago, Dequindre said:

The XT4 is starting to cannibalize the XT5 already. That will probably get worse as the XT5 gets further into its life-cycle.

Initially, that was true and I was a great believer that XT4 was simply cannibalizing the more expensive XT5 sales
but in June and July, that appears to have changed with far less sales bleed even though XT4 and XT6 now exist.

Sales....Jul '19.............Jul '18..........7 mths YTD '19............7 Mth YTD '18

XT4.......2,644.....................0......................16,538..............................0

XT5.......3,885..............4,377......................29,849.....................37,099

XT6.......1,000....................0.........................1,074..............................0

TOTAL..7,529..............4,377......................47,471......................37,099

XT5 seems to be slowly recovering As XT4 sales settles down and XT6 begins above XT5

tthe cumulative sales of all three models has to be taken into account..

The Escalade had a good month though. GM must be throwing some incentives at it. 

XT6's arrival also appears to have little if any affect on Escalade sales.

Next Gen Escalade camo prototypes are out and about testing.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, rmc523 said:

I can only take partial credit!  These numbers don't appear out of nowhere without plenty of research :victory:

The great part about the monthly figures is that we see all the ups and downs that GM and Ford

now seek to hide form us with so called "smoothing" of quarterly results. It also allows us to discuss

and compare the official quarterly figures to what transpired in individual months, look at vehicle trends

more closely - case in point with XT4 & XT5, without monthly data we wouldn't see that sales of XT5 are

now recovering  after introduction of XT4 when half of XT4 sales seemed to be coming from XT5...

I get a kick out of knowing the back stories of what really happened and then comparing that

to GM and Ford trying to cover it with their PR releases....could you imagine the press tearing

into Ford because Explorers and Aviators were on Hold, since they don't have to face the music

each month, that will just get covered over by a slow start in the quarter with no real color as to why.

Edited by jpd80

On ‎8‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 8:42 AM, jpd80 said:

XT6's arrival also appears to have little if any affect on Escalade sales.

Next Gen Escalade camo prototypes are out and about testing.

What are the incentives being offered for the Escalade? I recall that Cadillac began slapping hefty incentives on the Escalade when the new Navigator arrived. I can't believe much has changed since that time.

1 hour ago, grbeck said:

What are the incentives being offered for the Escalade? I recall that Cadillac began slapping hefty incentives on the Escalade when the new Navigator arrived. I can't believe much has changed since that time.

Looks like $11K ($8K plus $3K conquest or loyalty rebate) PLUS any dealer discounts.  I'm guessing you can get about $14K off MSRP.

• Like 1

That level of incentive is not surprising considering both arrival of Navigator and age of Escalade. Also, in the context of a $70K-$90K vehicle, it’s about  12-15% discount which drags out the buyers... it also explains less than expected sales of Navigator with +6,000 inventory.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1