Ford July 2019 Approximate Sales Figures

14 minutes ago, HotRunrGuy said:

The difference here is, rperez817 has stepped-up and spent his money and purchased the product, you haven't. He's entitled to his opinion, which frankly, carries more weight than yours.

HRG

What about the other folks who also bought one and disagree?  How much weight do they carry?

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

Hack job means "a task that needed to be completed as quickly as possible, all other considerations secondary".

That's exactly what Ford did with 2019 Ranger in the U.S. market. Basically, after the previous U.S. Ranger was discontinued in 2011, Ford was left without a product in the fast growing midsize pickup truck segment for several years. After Ford management finally came to their senses, they decided it was best to take the existing T6 Ranger sold elsewhere in the world and make it meet U.S. light vehicle regulations. 

So it boiled down to Option 1 (Hack Job), provide U.S. customers with a Ranger ASAP. Or Option 2, wait until the next gen, redesigned Ranger is ready. I'm glad they chose Option 1.

Calling it a hack job is a bit of hyperbole, but your overall point is pretty spot on 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rperez817 said:

Hack job means "a task that needed to be completed as quickly as possible, all other considerations secondary".

That's exactly what Ford did with 2019 Ranger in the U.S. market. Basically, after the previous U.S. Ranger was discontinued in 2011, Ford was left without a product in the fast growing midsize pickup truck segment for several years. After Ford management finally came to their senses, they decided it was best to take the existing T6 Ranger sold elsewhere in the world and make it meet U.S. light vehicle regulations. 

So it boiled down to Option 1 (Hack Job), provide U.S. customers with a Ranger ASAP. Or Option 2, wait until the next gen, redesigned Ranger is ready. I'm glad they chose Option 1.

A hack job might be a little harsh, but it does come across as a rushed compromise product. Ford spent most of their time and money on fitting a new powertrain into the Ranger and not much else was done. The interior is 95% RoW LHD Ranger. It has slightly different fabrics, a different 4WD switch, a little storage tray on the dash above the radio unit, and a speedo that reads in MPH. I can understand using the same basic T6 interior, but how about taking a few development dollars and make the rear seat in the SuperCrew a 60/40 flat fold split. Everyone else in the market has that feature.

The exterior has steel bumpers, different wheels and updated LED taillights at least on the XLT and Lariat models otherwise it's basically RoW Ranger. I guess the frame is supposed to be upgraded, but otherwise it's the same. The one thing they could have put more time into is shock and suspension calibration. At least with the FX4 it's too floaty and bouncy. It floats on a slightly heaved interstate at 75 like a 2000 Buick LeSabre and if you stop quickly it has serious nosedive. Brakes also have too much pedal travel and a strange feel, but stop pretty well.

Powertrain is strong and smooth. The 4WD system is excellent and I like the seat comfort and overall style. It's quick and nimble in traffic and easy to park compared to the F150 I had before it. I don't regret getting it and I enjoy it, however it doesn't really stand out from it's competitors. In most reviews both magazine and independent folks the Chevy Colorado comes out on top and having driven both I'd agree with that assessment. With that said, I'm a Ford guy and won't drive a Chevy so I'm happy with my Ranger. It's one of my favorite vehicles I've ever gotten even if I know it's not class leading.

Edited by 2005Explorer
  • Like 1

Did they minimize the changes because it’s a carryover platform and a brand new one is just around the corner?  Yes.

Did they make the necessary changes to make it competitive like the new drivetrain?  Yes.

Have the changes resulted in problems or poor quality?  No.

Not a hack job.

47 minutes ago, 2005Explorer said:

I don't regret getting it and I enjoy it, however it doesn't really stand out from it's competitors.

I agree completely, thanks 2005Explorer sir. A few professional automotive journalists took Ford's marketing hype about 2019 U.S. Ranger being "all new" too literally. Not surprisingly, they ended up disappointed.

But a lot of actual Ranger customers like you, me, and other folks here on the Blue Oval Forums know better. We acknowledge that the vehicle isn't "all new", and that Ford didn't intend to make it a "game changing" or competition beating product as Kev-Mo described earlier. We set our expectations accordingly, and enjoy the vehicle for what it is: a midsize truck targeted to owners of older Ford Rangers.

I bet a good percentage of new 2019 Ranger owners (like me) had older Rangers in the past. So it's no surprise AutoPacific reported that 2019 Ford Ranger has the highest owner satisfaction in its segment. https://static1.squarespace.com/static/593eb113725e2559bdfe0ed2/t/5d521e9eaa95fc000110dff7/1565662878244/AutoPacific+2019+VSA+Release_Final.pdf

• Like 1

1 hour ago, akirby said:

Did they minimize the changes because it’s a carryover platform and a brand new one is just around the corner?  Yes.

Did they make the necessary changes to make it competitive like the new drivetrain?  Yes.

Have the changes resulted in problems or poor quality?  No.

Not a hack job.

Ok maybe we can settle for "a hasty re-fresh" instead of "hack job" for the US and Canada markets. Don't get me wrong I've been wanting a T6 Ranger since 2012 so I'm thrilled to be driving one, but if you're in a late model '15+ Colorado/Canyon or '16+ Tacoma there's nothing about the Ranger that would entice you to get one. Sure the powertrain beats the Tacoma hands down, but the Colorado has competitive powertrain options. The Colorado has a more refined driving experience and nice little features like a split fold rear seat. The Tacoma sells on brand name alone. No matter what you do you'll never get more than a handful of Toyota customers to ever consider a FoMoCo product.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kev-Mo said:

8 months into a launch of a major 'game changing' product - flat sales and limited stock.  It doesn't seem right on all fronts.  Does anyone know what is really going on?  Are we going to concede that this Ranger just not enough to sway young mid-truck buyers over to Ford - even with a far superior drive train?

You'll laugh but Ford reused spray paint equipment from Focus that doesn't quite reach, that kind of limits
how many bodies Ford can get to the assembly line, Ford's own projections this year were roughly 120K...

Stock is not limited with over 30,000 inventory,  so buyers must be now looking for deals and incentives...
Not meaning to offer excuses but Ford is asking top price on these with little motivation to encourage buyers.

I noticed that since Ranger's arrival and increase in sales, Colorado sales have begun slipping.
It might be a coincidence as GM has recently been pushing its Mexican Utilties heavily.

8 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

You'll laugh but Ford reused spray paint equipment from Focus that doesn't quite reach, that kind of limits
how many bodies Ford can get to the assembly line, Ford's own projections this year were roughly 120K...

Stock is not limited with over 30,000 inventory,  so buyers must be now looking for deals and incentives...
Not meaning to offer excuses but Ford is asking top price on these with little motivation to encourage buyers.

I noticed that since Ranger's arrival and increase in sales, Colorado sales have begun slipping.
It might be a coincidence as GM has recently been pushing its Mexican Utilties heavily.

And we need to remember the 120k production also serves Canada and US territories. Not just the 50 States of the US were we get the sales on the first post. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rperez817 said:

Same here! I replaced a 2004 Ranger with a 2019 Ranger because it's the right size for my family's lawn care and landscaping business. I'm among the loyal Ford "sheeple" who buy Ford trucks because they're Fords. Y'all are welcome to criticize me for that, but I'm happy with my purchase. 

Our new Ranger has served our business just fine in the couple months we've had it. No mechanical or electronic issues at all. At the same time, I acknowledge that U.S. Ranger is a hack job of a nearly decade old Ford global product (T6 Ranger). No problem for me - I knew that when I bought the truck. 

Anyway, 38k+ Rangers sold in the U.S. so far this year is pretty good. Having Ranger in the product lineup pretty much guarantees that Ford will be the #1 seller of pickup trucks in the U.S. this year. 

Oh yes, rmc523 no need to apologize sir! On the contrary, a big thumbs up to you for sharing the sales data! ?

I know it's not a thoroughly Americanized version but glad to hear the positive response to your new Ranger. 

RMC's fine work allows us to discuss things that might not seem as obvious in quarterly figures - and I suspect
the whole idea of that was no doubt to tone down discussion on the forums (maybe some too close to the truth?)

1 minute ago, ausrutherford said:

Ranger is on track to sell roughly 90k between the US and Canada in its first full year. 

For those wondering, Chevy sold roughly 90k in its first full year back too. Mind you its production was more fully ramped up prior to the that year. 

And Colorado sales have slowed up a bit in the past few months but yeah, I recon about 90% of
Ranger's sales are non-discounted Crew cabs with prices that may be higher than the competition.

1 minute ago, jpd80 said:

And Colorado sales have slowed up a bit in the past few months but yeah, I recon about 90% of
Ranger's sales are non-discounted Crew cabs with prices that may be higher than the competition.

I'm betting they will not issue large incentives on Ranger until the F-150 switchover.

1. To fill some of the lost volume

2. More customers will want to switch to the F-150, so they'll need to move the smaller truck too. 

25 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

how many bodies Ford can get to the assembly line

That's going to change once construction for the Bronco begins in earnest. I've heard the paint robot project will actually be done over our Christmas break and we're getting an extra week off because of it. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ausrutherford said:

I'm betting they will not issue large incentives on Ranger until the F-150 switchover.

1. To fill some of the lost volume

2. More customers will want to switch to the F-150, so they'll need to move the smaller truck too. 

Ranger inventory is now getting up there, it's over 30K, they don't need  or want four months supply
but my guess is that they figure in the shutdowns at the end of the year. Still something has to give soon.

Edited by jpd80

9 hours ago, Kev-Mo said:

I'll accept that as the best answer we have.  The published annual sales estimate was 100K or better I seem to remember - so it is obvious that number has changed. 

I think it is a great overall truck; and recently my Pilot buddy had a rental up in Alaska for a layover a raved about it.

July 2019 sales annualized is ~95k. Not too far from 100k.

15 hours ago, Kev-Mo said:

Ranger seems to have flattened out already - bit disappointing it is not selling better against the competition, I had such high hopes. 

Ranger is doing fine and gaining traction after a lopsided production mix that was too heavily weighed to Lariat models. The mix is now more focused on XLT's w/301A which is a much more attractive price point.

• Like 2