Flat Rock to get two BEV Crossovers

From Automotive News:

"Ford Motor Co. plans to build two midsize battery-electric crossovers for the Ford and Lincoln brands at a plant near Detroit for the 2023 model year, Automotive News has learned.

Three sources with knowledge of Ford's plans say scheduled production of the vehicles, code-named CDX746 and CDX747, was moved to the Flat Rock Assembly Plant in Michigan from Cuautitlan, Mexico. The vehicles are similar in size to the Ford Edge and Lincoln Nautilus but will be built on the company's battery-electric vehicle platform, the sources said.

Both will be 2023 models, with production starting in late 2022 or early 2023. Ford has asked suppliers to prepare for production of up to 65,000 units per year, one of the sources said."

https://www.autonews.com/future-product/ford-lincoln-ready-new-midsize-ev-crossovers

So I guess these are taking up the slack for the Conti going away? Or is this an additional product to add to the Mustang and Conti line?

The other thing is this-if the Mach E is going to be 50K BEV, how are these vehicles going to be slotted? Are they going to cost even more? 

Jeeze this becoming a giant headache with keeping track of Fords PD plans. 

3 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

So I guess these are taking up the slack for the Conti going away? Or is this an additional product to add to the Mustang and Conti line?

The other thing is this-if the Mach E is going to be 50K BEV, how are these vehicles going to be slotted? Are they going to cost even more? 

When there are so many vehicles that you can't keep track of...that's a good thing.

• Like 2

I'm glad to see that Lincoln is still in future product plans. I was getting concerned that Hackett would hack-it (perhaps Kumar Galhotra is advocating for the brand behind the scenes). Whatever the case, the new Aviator has enthusiasts extremely interested in Lincoln's utilities. 

15 hours ago, ausrutherford said:

Not sure what type of vehicle...but I know which brand is getting it. 

Does it have a star? ;)

14 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

Like I said in the other thread, the article mentioned Conti will be produced in China.  I wonder if that could mean a next gen model, and maybe they'd import it here?  Freeing up capacity here, while still having an offering?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, rmc523 said:

Does it have a star? ;)

Like I said in the other thread, the article mentioned Conti will be produced in China.  I wonder if that could mean a next gen model, and maybe they'd import it here?  Freeing up capacity here, while still having an offering?

Ding Ding Ding

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ausrutherford said:

There are three product codes for the Mach E: CX727, C728, C730

Not sure what the other two mean as of yet. 

Of course they are because all are C2 based.

From what I gather, the difference is this, the compact Mustang styled BEV is a C2 based vehicle

while the CDX747 and CDX748 are on a new dedicated EV platform that's not related to C2 at all.

This info was doing the rounds in January 2017 and is obviously from 2016 or earlier

when Ford's plans were altogether different, make of it what you will...

C727 Ford CEV BEV/PHEV Cuautitlan, Mexico SOP 9/3/2019 EOP 6/28/2024
C728 Ford CEV HEV Cuautitlan, Mexico SOP 9/3/2019 EOP 6/28/2024
C730 Ford HEV Cuautitlan, Mexico SOP 12/1/2020 EOP 6/28/2024
CX430 Ford GenY CUV Cuautitlan, SOP Mexico 12/19/2019 EOP 11/28/2025

As you can see, much has changed in regards to product plan and time line....

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Bellanca said:

The one article mentioned it would be Edge size, and given the timeframe could this mean the Edge and Nautilus are going BEV for the next generation?

Sounds like a version of them will be electric. Don't know if these new things will have different names yet or not. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, rmc523 said:

Does it have a star? ;)

I think if Lincoln ever needs a large car again, they could use the platform Rivian is developing for the large electric SUV.

In the grand scheme of things, what is Ford doing? 

Wouldn't it make more sense to build all the BEVs together in a single plant? 

Rumor control has this:
Model E built in Mexico at Cuautitlán Stamping and Assembly Plant-Sales expectations? 30-40K?

Presumably larger Ford/Lincoln BEV at Flat Rock for an expected production run of 65K combined. 

This article is claiming they where originally supposed to go to Mexico, where the Model E is supposed to be built (I can't open it now at work-some reason proxy server doesn't like autoblog)

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/08/20/lincoln-continental-production-end-flat-rock-ev/

I'd assume full production rates for both plants would be in the 200-300K range. Flat Rock has the Mustang, which varies from 80-120K sales a year already. Are they planning on a Lincoln Sedan to replace the MKZ/Continental in NA? I can see the Coni being imported from China, but given whats happening with trade these days...well

So what is happening with the Mexican plants? They are getting a multitude of C class products, like the Baby Bronco, Transit Connect, Transit Pickup, and so on? That seems like it would only keep one plant busy. The Fusion "replacement" is coming, but I don't think it will exactly sell in Fusion like numbers (200K+) and you lose MKZ production also. 

Then add in Oakville-the Edge/Nautilus sales will most likely be impacted by the new mid size BEVs and they are losing the Flex/MKT also-what product is going there? 

20 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

In the grand scheme of things, what is Ford doing? 

Wouldn't it make more sense to build all the BEVs together in a single plant? 

Rumor control has this:
Model E built in Mexico at Cuautitlán Stamping and Assembly Plant-Sales expectations? 30-40K?

Presumably larger Ford/Lincoln BEV at Flat Rock for an expected production run of 65K combined. 

This article is claiming they where originally supposed to go to Mexico, where the Model E is supposed to be built (I can't open it now at work-some reason proxy server doesn't like autoblog)

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/08/20/lincoln-continental-production-end-flat-rock-ev/

I'd assume full production rates for both plants would be in the 200-300K range. Flat Rock has the Mustang, which varies from 80-120K sales a year already. Are they planning on a Lincoln Sedan to replace the MKZ/Continental in NA? I can see the Coni being imported from China, but given whats happening with trade these days...well

So what is happening with the Mexican plants? They are getting a multitude of C class products, like the Baby Bronco, Transit Connect, Transit Pickup, and so on? That seems like it would only keep one plant busy. The Fusion "replacement" is coming, but I don't think it will exactly sell in Fusion like numbers (200K+) and you lose MKZ production also. 

Then add in Oakville-the Edge/Nautilus sales will most likely be impacted by the new mid size BEVs and they are losing the Flex/MKT also-what product is going there? 

Knowing the way Ford likes to charge a premium for electrified vehicles,

I'm willing to bet that sticker shock will put a lid on those BEV  sales.

Call me cynic but, a leopard doesn't change its spots,

Ford will push Mustang inspired Crossover for all its worth

so yeah, those prices could be eye watering...

13 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

I do expect it to have premium pricing but Ford doesn't always gouge.   MKZ was the same price for hybrid and non hybrid.

23 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

Call me cynic but, a leopard doesn't change its spots,

Ford will push Mustang inspired Crossover for all its worth

so yeah, those prices could be eye watering...

I have full on expectations of it starting north of $40K-we aren't going to see an "affordable" BEV for another 5-10 years.