Flat Rock to get two BEV Crossovers

10 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

In the grand scheme of things, what is Ford doing? 

Wouldn't it make more sense to build all the BEVs together in a single plant? 

Rumor control has this:
Model E built in Mexico at Cuautitlán Stamping and Assembly Plant-Sales expectations? 30-40K?

Presumably larger Ford/Lincoln BEV at Flat Rock for an expected production run of 65K combined. 

This article is claiming they where originally supposed to go to Mexico, where the Model E is supposed to be built (I can't open it now at work-some reason proxy server doesn't like autoblog)

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/08/20/lincoln-continental-production-end-flat-rock-ev/

I'd assume full production rates for both plants would be in the 200-300K range. Flat Rock has the Mustang, which varies from 80-120K sales a year already. Are they planning on a Lincoln Sedan to replace the MKZ/Continental in NA? I can see the Coni being imported from China, but given whats happening with trade these days...well

So what is happening with the Mexican plants? They are getting a multitude of C class products, like the Baby Bronco, Transit Connect, Transit Pickup, and so on? That seems like it would only keep one plant busy. The Fusion "replacement" is coming, but I don't think it will exactly sell in Fusion like numbers (200K+) and you lose MKZ production also. 

Then add in Oakville-the Edge/Nautilus sales will most likely be impacted by the new mid size BEVs and they are losing the Flex/MKT also-what product is going there? 

Mexico will allow for more export opportunities. The Mach E is also the first dedicated EV from Ford, so making the breakeven point lower makes sense. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ausrutherford said:

Mexico will allow for more export opportunities. The Mach E is also the first dedicated EV from Ford, so making the breakeven point lower makes sense. 

It's also supposed to be international export  too so makes sense to keep costs down on everything

definitly not a "prius" clone thank god.....although some buyers (Prius)  have taste buds in their ass....

Edited by jpd80