Perpetual Future Ford Products thread

1 hour ago, akirby said:

Why not?  With at least a 300 mile range (unladen) and the same tow/payload capacity as a base F150 it should do well depending on price.

You do realize most F150s only see light truck duty occasionally, right?   I haul some heavy stuff in mine but not very often.  Normally it's just my daily driver and commuter one day a week.  I don't think I've ever put more than 300 miles on it in a single day.  Charge it at night, never have to buy gas again.  Still hauls 1500 lbs of mulch or building materials or tows a boat.  What's not to like?

All valid points, but I was thinking of the way I use my truck.  Most every weekend during the spring/summer, I tow my boat about 45 miles each way to a lake.  The boat/trailer combo weigh about 8,000 lbs.  There would be no way to charge the battery at the boat ramp while we're out on the lake all day.  I'm quite sure I would not be getting 300 miles on a charge.  Is there any way to estimate the mileage you would get based on the weight of a trailer/payload?

1 minute ago, 09KR0058 said:

All valid points, but I was thinking of the way I use my truck.  Most every weekend during the spring/summer, I tow my boat about 45 miles each way to a lake.  The boat/trailer combo weigh about 8,000 lbs.  There would be no way to charge the battery at the boat ramp while we're out on the lake all day.  I'm quite sure I would not be getting 300 miles on a charge.  Is there any way to estimate the mileage you would get based on the weight of a trailer/payload?

Not sure what the range would be hauling a 8K lb boat every weekend.   I would guess you'd get at least 100 miles but that would be cutting it close.   You're not the target market unless they have an extra long range model like the Rivian at 400 miles per charge.  That would probably work fine.

But considering they sell almost a million trucks every year and probably half of those are F150s, I'd guess at least 300K F150 buyers could get by with a 300 mile range and home charging.   It's not for everybody but I think they would sell 50K/yr no problem provided it's not over $60K.

21 minutes ago, 09KR0058 said:

You probably aren't the target market, at least in the near future. 

2 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

You probably aren't the target market, at least in the near future. 

Agreed.  I guess I should have researched it a bit more before making a fool of myself.  Definitely surprised that it has that kind of tow rating.

2 hours ago, 09KR0058 said:

Agreed.  I guess I should have researched it a bit more before making a fool of myself.  Definitely surprised that it has that kind of tow rating.

It doesn't. We don't know what the official rating is yet, this was just a demonstration of what it can pull. Huge difference between towing and pulling. 

1 hour ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

It doesn't. We don't know what the official rating is yet, this was just a demonstration of what it can pull. Huge difference between towing and pulling. 

Wait - it won’t come with a 1.2M lb tow rating???

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...

I have a question about codes: Since the NG Mondeo/Fusion keeps the traditional CD code despite its C platform, could new B code projects also mount on the C2 architecture? We know C2 is set to cover the Fiesta-Edge spectrum so, in principle, they could all get C codes (but that would be confusing).

4 hours ago, passis said:

I have a question about codes: Since the NG Mondeo/Fusion keeps the traditional CD code despite its C platform, could new B code projects also mount on the C2 architecture? We know C2 is set to cover the Fiesta-Edge spectrum so, in principle, they could all get C codes (but that would be confusing).

It "depends"

The big issue between B and C or CD products is the width of those products. Length is fairly easy to compensate for, but changing the width can impact crash cell design. 

Examples:

2020 Fiesta  1735mm (with mirrors)

2020 Focus 1852 (without mirrors)

2020 Fusion 1910.08 (without mirrors)

So there is roughly a 100mm or more difference between a B and C car and only 50-60mm between C and CD sized car

So if anything the B class might just be a narrowed down C car, but other things like harnesses and suspensions can be used from the C class car. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, silvrsvt said:

It "depends"

The big issue between B and C or CD products is the width of those products. Length is fairly easy to compensate for, but changing the width can impact crash cell design. 

Examples:

2020 Fiesta  1735mm (with mirrors)

2020 Focus 1852 (without mirrors)

2020 Fusion 1910.08 (without mirrors)

So there is roughly a 100mm or more difference between a B and C car and only 50-60mm between C and CD sized car

So if anything the B class might just be a narrowed down C car, but other things like harnesses and suspensions can be used from the C class car. 

Thanks for the clarifications! I was wondering if it is correct to automatically assume that a B-Digits project is based on the B3 platform.  Or if it could be C2-based, like CD542.

1 hour ago, passis said:

Thanks for the clarifications! I was wondering if it is correct to automatically assume that a B-Digits project is based on the B3 platform.  Or if it could be C2-based, like CD542.

Not necessarily. 

Continental is 100% on CD4 but it's program code is D544

• Thanks 1

Platform name and program codes are two different thing.

C2 is the platform but projects are still assigned codes based on its size and purpose.  For example, Transit Connect and Maverick pickup trucks have project codes that starts with V and P but they are using C2 platform. Explorer is CD6 platform but if I recall, the program code was U (for utilities). So if Fiesta is really moving form B3 to C2 in the future, the program code will still be B###.

Edited by bzcat
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, preciousjerry said:

I found this particular piece of write up at <deleted link> I just can't wait to try out the new ford. I made my reservation already following the guide I found on this <deleted link>.

Funny how you found it since you wrote it....self promote much?

Edited by twintornados
  • Sad 1