Perpetual Future Ford Products thread

6 hours ago, AGR said:

According to Auto Forecast Solutions, as quoted on Autoline Daily: all electric Corsair starts production at Oakville in 2026, Next all-new Mustang at Flat Rock in 2028

I'm assuming this is referring to the car after S650, which is due for the '23MY? 

Surely there's no way Ford would let S550 run for another 8 model years??!!??

Edited by Twin Turbo

On 1/5/2021 at 5:06 PM, passis said:

Isn't it impressive that there are no leaks to be found regarding Ford's (arguably) most global vehicle, the Ecosport? Is the next generation that far away?

Well, now we know... there is no next gen EcoSport ?

17 hours ago, AGR said:

According to Auto Forecast Solutions, as quoted on Autoline Daily: all electric Corsair starts production at Oakville in 2026, Next all-new Mustang at Flat Rock in 2028

I think this means Oakville starts next gen Edge and Nautilus EV in 2023-24 and Corsair moves in 2026. The UNIFOR contract said 5 models total so we are still missing a few.

All-new Mustang is the one after S650. That's too far out to really take it seriously but on the other hand, no reason to think Ford will move Mustang out of Flat Rock either. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, bzcat said:

Well, now we know... there is no next gen EcoSport ?

Unfortunately...

As far as I know, the development of this vehicle was very advanced and not too different from the Indian B-CUV whose front grille was spotted recently... maybe this project can still be used in Romania...

In India, I'm tending to accept that there will be no more production after this Mahindra CUVs cycle, if the JV is really not happening... At least, it sounds very challenging to cover the costs to develop lower budget cars for that region only, without sharing the bills with South America - in China they're aiming for higher income segments.  In fact, I believe the underachievement of Figo and Ecosport in India contributed a lot the lack of viability of products in Camaçari. And in a way Ford can't have one (India) without the other (Brazil) so I'm starting to be worried about their operations there... And as you've mentioned in another post, this could lead to a domino effect forcing them to exit more and more segments..

15 hours ago, Twin Turbo said:

I'm assuming this is referring to the car after S650, which is due for the '23MY? 

Surely there's no way Ford would let S550 run for another 8 model years??!!??

I assume so. McElroy said all-new, which of course the S650 is not.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, passis said:

Unfortunately...

As far as I know, the development of this vehicle was very advanced and not too different from the Indian B-CUV whose front grille was spotted recently... maybe this project can still be used in Romania...

In India, I'm tending to accept that there will be no more production after this Mahindra CUVs cycle, if the JV is really not happening... At least, it sounds very challenging to cover the costs to develop lower budget cars for that region only, without sharing the bills with South America - in China they're aiming for higher income segments.  In fact, I believe the underachievement of Figo and Ecosport in India contributed a lot the lack of viability of products in Camaçari. And in a way Ford can't have one (India) without the other (Brazil) so I'm starting to be worried about their operations there... And as you've mentioned in another post, this could lead to a domino effect forcing them to exit more and more segments..

You are quite right that products for India and South America are linked, as well as Russia/CIS (another market that Ford failed in), Africa (where Ford is struggling), and ASEAN (where Ford basically only sells Ranger). If you look at the product portfolio of the top 10 car companies excluding Daimler and BMW, you will see that they tend to sell the same or very similar vehicles in these 5 regions.

China used to be in the same group but has moved on to have more product commonality with North America and Europe. 

Edited by bzcat
  • Like 1

With fate of Edge now clear, Ford is moving ahead with 3 row Kuga to replace Edge in China. Europe may get it too. Will launch in China in late 2021 or early 2022.

https://www.autohome.com.cn/news/202101/1100482.html#pvareaid=102624

The articles is in Chinese so you have to use Google to translate. 

Here is an older articles from Ford Authority talking about it.

https://fordauthority.com/2020/09/three-row-ford-escape-seven-seater-to-expand-escape-family/

Edited by bzcat

After sitting in a Corsair and Nautilus back to back I think Nautilus is superfluous at this point.   A LWB Escape/Corsair with either more rear seat room or a 3rd  row makes more sense to me.  Even though personally I would prefer the Nautilus 2 row size.

1 hour ago, akirby said:

After sitting in a Corsair and Nautilus back to back I think Nautilus is superfluous at this point.   A LWB Escape/Corsair with either more rear seat room or a 3rd  row makes more sense to me.  Even though personally I would prefer the Nautilus 2 row size.

Isn't the Corsair bigger than the old MKC so it's a little closer in size to Nautilus?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, akirby said:

I still think there's room for Nautilus in between Corsair and Aviator.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

I still think there's room for Nautilus in between Corsair and Aviator.

I agree. FMC might well decide against making the investment necessary to keep an ICE-based mid-sized 2-row crossover in Lincoln's lineup, thinking that the profit either wouldn't cover the costs or that scarce product development funds can be better used elsewhere, such as with the mid-sized BEV crossover under development. From their corporate standpoint they might even be right. But for me personally, it will mean that I will have to go elsewhere when my 2019 Nautilus lease is up late this year -- unless I decide to buy out my lease, which I might do. My very particular wants are for a luxury appointed mid-sized crossover with a boosted 6, no third row, and ample storage in back. The Corsair is indeed bigger than the MKC: two inches longer and one inch wider and higher. Beyond that it also uses interior space better with the movable rear seat, giving the option of more legroom (or in my case, more room to store your cooler on a road trip) or more storage in back -- but not both.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, akirby said:

With Corsair getting larger and Aviator available now I think it’s getting squeezed out.    Don’t get me wrong I prefer it over the other two.

I mean, a next-gen Nautilus would creep up in size too to create more separation between Corsair and Aviator.  Not everyone wants a 3 row.

• Like 1

On 1/14/2021 at 11:38 AM, Twin Turbo said:

@ExplorerDude

You were kind enough to give your insights on when S650 is due on a previous post.........can you add anything to this? Thank you :)

Sure....As I’ve said before the MY23 S650 is an all-new generation Mustang with a completely new tophat body on a modified platform, now known as D5. This platform will be heavily modified with some CD6 components mixed in. This generation (S650) is currently projected to have a lifespan of 8 model years and at Flat Rock as of now.

The generation after that is officially dubbed S750 and is expected to change platforms. It should launch as a MY31 and while I know that seems far away, it takes time to configure that into Fords future roadmap. CD6 may not be the platform of choice by then and it may move to another plant. Honestly hard to say where it will be by then. Lots of changes happening all the time.

Also next generation Nautilus is already done. Will be sold globally everywhere. Think RR Velar with Lincoln styling. I’m sorry to say however it won’t come from current plant. Nautilus will be built and sourced from China for global consumption.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, ExplorerDude said:

Sure....As I’ve said before the MY23 S650 is an all-new generation Mustang with a completely new tophat body on a modified platform, now known as D5. This platform will be heavily modified with some CD6 components mixed in. This generation (S650) is currently projected to have a lifespan of 8 model years and at Flat Rock as of now.

The generation after that is officially dubbed S750 and is expected to change platforms. It should launch as a MY31 and while I know that seems far away, it takes time to configure that into Fords future roadmap. CD6 may not be the platform of choice by then and it may move to another plant. Honestly hard to say where it will be by then. Lots of changes happening all the time.

Also next generation Nautilus is already done. Will be sold globally everywhere. Think RR Velar with Lincoln styling. I’m sorry to say however it won’t come from current plant. Nautilus will be built and sourced from China for global consumption.

Thank you, I really appreciate your response :)

8 hours ago, ExplorerDude said:

Very interesting.  I wonder what happens to Edge?