Perpetual Future Ford Products thread

13 hours ago, ExplorerDude said:

Sure....As I’ve said before the MY23 S650 is an all-new generation Mustang with a completely new tophat body on a modified platform, now known as D5. This platform will be heavily modified with some CD6 components mixed in. This generation (S650) is currently projected to have a lifespan of 8 model years and at Flat Rock as of now.

The generation after that is officially dubbed S750 and is expected to change platforms. It should launch as a MY31 and while I know that seems far away, it takes time to configure that into Fords future roadmap. CD6 may not be the platform of choice by then and it may move to another plant. Honestly hard to say where it will be by then. Lots of changes happening all the time.

Also next generation Nautilus is already done. Will be sold globally everywhere. Think RR Velar with Lincoln styling. I’m sorry to say however it won’t come from current plant. Nautilus will be built and sourced from China for global consumption.

FWD or RWD?

I'm assuming it'll have some sort of batteries too, whether HEV/PHEV or BEV.

9 hours ago, akirby said:

Very interesting.  I wonder what happens to Edge?

Hmm... I remember hearing that at one point the redesign for the Edge and Nautilus were well along, but then FMC went into radio silence and the Canadian union deal seemed to confirm the reason for the silence, that the two projects had been shelved. But maybe not. That would leave me with the question of whether I wanted to buy a Chinese-built vehicle, though honestly the most likely alternatives I would consider would be South Korean, British or German.

44 minutes ago, JTL2017 said:

I'm very curious to see what Lincoln has in store with EVs. I know they canceled (or shelved) a flagship SUV but what else are they planning? They seem very quiet.

Below is the statement from Ford/Lincoln in April 2020 when the Lincoln-Rivian BEV collaboration was cancelled. You are correct JTL2017 sir, they are mum on specific product details.

Anyway, Lincoln needs to add BEV models to its U.S. product lineup ASAP, with or without Rivan's help. 

“Given the current environment, Lincoln and Rivian have decided not to pursue the development of a fully electric vehicle based on Rivian’s skateboard platform. Our strategic commitment to Lincoln, Rivian and electrification remains unchanged and Lincoln’s future plans will include an all-electric vehicle consistent with its Quiet Flight DNA."

Edited by rperez817
  • Like 1

It was only just over a year ago (Nov 2019) that the UAW contract stated:

Flat Rock Assembly Plant — $250 million investment

• All new Mustang, including derivatives
  • Lincoln Continental will continue through its product lifecycle.

https://eu.freep.com/story/money/cars/ford/2019/11/01/ford-uaw-product-investments-dearborn-chicago-flat-rock/4127014002/

I appreciate things change, but......

12 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

That rumor has been around for a few years, though it was on the chopping block through the 2019 Negotiations all the way until the morning the tentative agreement was reached. 

I am aware of both replies information. I am just trying to find out if something recent has brewed up. New leadership now and all.

1 hour ago, wildosvt said:

I am aware of both replies information. I am just trying to find out if something recent has brewed up. New leadership now and all.

Direct quote, paraphrased for brevity and relevance:  

"Nothing new here.  I wouldn't be surprised to see it on the chopping block again next contract."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ausrutherford said:

Ford will keep it on the "chopping block" to keep UAW concessions for the plant. 

Exactly... like Oakville when dealing with UNIFOR, Flat Rock is a useful punching bag for Ford when it is time to talk with UAW.

• Like 1

Keeping FRAP was the easy solution for Mustang, just extend it by evolving and infusing new tech.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out that Mustang is kept by the will of Bill Ford and once 

there's a BEV version that Ford can build without fear of CAFE, the ICE version is redundant.

Edited by jpd80

2 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

Keeping FRAP was the easy solution for Mustang, just extend it by evolving and infuring new tech.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out that Mustang is kept by the will of Bill Ford and once 

there's a BEV version that Ford can build without fear of CAFE, the ICE version is redundant.

Just a thought... Since half of FRAP is idle now that the Continental is no longer in production. Maybe they could set up the other side of the plant for the Mustang BEV when they're ready so that they could produce both the ICE and BEV versions at FRAP. Then when they're ready to produce the BEV version only they could retool the Mustang ICE line for a different BEV vehicle that would fit with FRAP's limitations. 

2 minutes ago, ice-capades said:

Just a thought... Since half of FRAP is idle now that the Continental is no longer in production. Maybe they could set up the other side of the plant for the Mustang BEV when they're ready so that they could produce both the ICE and BEV versions at FRAP. Then when they're ready to produce the BEV version only they could retool the Mustang ICE line for a different BEV vehicle that would fit with FRAP's limitations. 

Why stop there, BEV sedans as well as Mustang would be a great bargaining chip to the next agreement

8 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

Why stop there, BEV sedans as well as Mustang would be a great bargaining chip to the next agreement

Understood. Just keeping BEV sedans out of the equation for now since the future seems so dominated by SUV's and CUV's and we don't know what's going to happen with the sedan market yet. I was just thinking of a scenario to continue using FRAP for Mustang production including a way to produce both ICE and BEV versions as a possible transition scenario. 

Bargaining chip or not, I think Ford will continue to utilize FRAP long term. 

Edited by ice-capades
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, ice-capades said:

Understood. Just keeping BEV sedans out of the equation for now since the future seems so dominated by SUV's and CUV's and we don't know what's going to happen with the sedan market yet. I was just thinking of a scenario to continue using FRAP for Mustang production including a way to produce both ICE and BEV versions as a possible transition scenario. 

Bargaining chip or not, I think Ford will continue to utilize FRAP long term. 

Let’s just say FRAP closed, which I hope it doesn’t. Couldn’t Ford just add the Mustang to that massive truck plant they have there or add more capacity to MAP. You know what I mean, some form of consolidation?? Up here in Oakville we were told there will be 2 door and four door vehicles some sort of large Lincoln etc etc. Only name we’ve all heard is Corsair. I can’t see the Mustang being built in Canada lol. Americans would be pissed! Some already are that there is even a plant in Canada even though Ford has been up here since good ole Henry Ford expanded the company up here in the early days of the company. 

4 hours ago, Oacjay98 said:

Let’s just say FRAP closed, which I hope it doesn’t. Couldn’t Ford just add the Mustang to that massive truck plant they have there or add more capacity to MAP. You know what I mean, some form of consolidation?? Up here in Oakville we were told there will be 2 door and four door vehicles some sort of large Lincoln etc etc. Only name we’ve all heard is Corsair. I can’t see the Mustang being built in Canada lol. Americans would be pissed! Some already are that there is even a plant in Canada even though Ford has been up here since good ole Henry Ford expanded the company up here in the early days of the company. 

The Dearborn Truck Plant is 20 miles from Flat Rock. 

8 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

It would take a massive expansion of the Body Shop for that to happen, and I'm not sure how likely they would be to want to approve that. 

Well I hope none of these scenarios ever play out and Flat Rock remains operational. 

15 hours ago, Oacjay98 said:

Plenty of Americans will be pissed when Mustang is electric, and maybe the electric Mustang will be made at Oakville. I doubt sales would be more than a few thousand per year anyway. I think Tesla has usurped the EV market, and other automakers will be disappointed with their EV sales. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, ehaase said:

Plenty of Americans will be pissed when Mustang is electric, and maybe the electric Mustang will be made at Oakville. I doubt sales would be more than a few thousand per year anyway. I think Tesla has usurped the EV market, and other automakers will be disappointed with their EV sales. 

I think it will be the opposite-Tesla appeals to bleeding edge tech people and their kingdom is under attack by everyone in the next 12-24 months. They have older products that haven't changed visually that much (think Fusion like) and how are they going to keep customers if there is product out there that is just as good as what Tesla offers or better (in build/materials quality)

Add in government mandates and in the next 10 years or so we will see a major increase in electric car share.