Perpetual Future Ford Products thread

1 hour ago, FordBuyer said:

Oh boy....more unsold Ecosports clogging up Ford dealerships for years to come. 

Yeah, the current EcoSport is certainly one of the few weak spots in ford's current lineup. Hopefully the next gen EcoSport, if it arrives at all, is a vastly improved product. There was a pic awhile back showing an upcoming ford suv, but I'm not sure what it is, some people think it's the next EcoSport, if that's the case, sign me up, from what little we can see, it looks a thousand times more attractive. https://images.app.goo.gl/FnN9CU9kBMt39Zno6

21 minutes ago, DeluxeStang said:

Yeah, the current EcoSport is certainly one of the few weak spots in ford's current lineup. Hopefully the next gen EcoSport, if it arrives at all, is a vastly improved product. There was a pic awhile back showing an upcoming ford suv, but I'm not sure what it is, some people think it's the next EcoSport, if that's the case, sign me up, from what little we can see, it looks a thousand times more attractive. https://images.app.goo.gl/FnN9CU9kBMt39Zno6

That appears to be the prototype of the Ford Evos for the CN market

Ford EVOS Premieres at Auto Shanghai; Accelerates China 2.0 Plan for  Electrification, Intelligence and Customer Experience | China | English |  Ford Media Center

3 hours ago, DeluxeStang said:

3 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

That appears to be the prototype of the Ford Evos for the CN market

It's not the Evos. The photo is the now cancelled Ford rebadge version of Mahindra XUV700, which was officially introduced this week.

https://www.rushlane.com/mahindra-xuv700-launch-price-rs-12-lakh-to-rs-15-lakh-official-12409592.html

1200px-2021_Mahindra_XUV700_2.2_AX7_(Ind

1024px-2021_Mahindra_XUV700_2.2_AX7_(Ind

Also, we have now undisguised photo of the EcoSport facelift. It's... ughh... hemm... well, you can see for yourself. I guess Ford is planning to keep selling this little turd for another 4 or 5 years now that both the Brazil and India replacements are cancelled. 

https://www.rushlane.com/2021-ford-ecosport-facelift-spied-undisguised-launch-soon-12406446.html

2021-ford-ecosport-facelift-spied-launch-696x677.jpg

Edited by bzcat

18 minutes ago, bzcat said:

It's not the Evos. The photo is the now cancelled Ford rebadge version of Mahindra XUV700, which was officially introduced this week.

https://www.rushlane.com/mahindra-xuv700-launch-price-rs-12-lakh-to-rs-15-lakh-official-12409592.html

1200px-2021_Mahindra_XUV700_2.2_AX7_(Ind

Also, we have now undisguised photo of the EcoSport facelift. It's... ughh... hemm... well, you can see for yourself. I guess Ford is planning to keep selling this little turd for another 4 or 5 years now that both the Brazil and India replacements are cancelled. 

https://www.rushlane.com/2021-ford-ecosport-facelift-spied-undisguised-launch-soon-12406446.html

2021-ford-ecosport-facelift-spied-launch-696x677.jpg

Oh my God, that is honestly horrific. It's a shame that the vehicle from the pic I shared has been canceled, but hopefully some of those design cues will be applied to additional ford models in the future. It looks pretty sharp imo.

Edited by DeluxeStang
Writing adjustment

On 1/23/2021 at 11:04 PM, CoolScoop said:

https://www.automotiveworld.com/news-releases/growing-momentum-global-overview-of-government-targets-for-phasing-out-sales-of-new-internal-combustion-engine-vehicles/

The phase out of internal combustion engines is already happening much quicker than most of us realize in many regions around the world (plus California), and Uncle Joe will have us quickly joining them for sure...

I think within the next decade it will be a drastic shift to EVs. I'm just glad I won't have to do the stupid mandatory emissions test once a vehicle is over 3 years old in Illinois.

• 2 weeks later...

So with a NA Ford focused perspective, this is what we could be expecting lineup wise in the next 24 months:

Ecosport (refresh)

Maverick

Transit Connect (based on Maverick/built in Mexico)

Escape (refresh)

Bronco Sport

Mustang (refresh/hybrid)
Mustang Mach E 

Midsized BEV "Explorer Sport"/Edge Replacement? (GE2 based)

Bronco Warthog PHEV/HEV

Ranger (new platform/PHEV/HEV)

Transit BEV

F-150 Lightening BEV

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

FORD MAVERICK: ‘NOT REPLACING’ FUSION SEDAN, ‘MAYBE’ ROOM FOR SMALLER TRUCK

https://www.musclecarsandtrucks.com/ford-maverick-not-replacing-fusion-sedan-maybe-room-for-smaller-truck/

Maybe room for a smaller-than-Maverick truck? I don't think so, considering Ford's very US-centric upcoming portfolio. But a newer version of the Courier/Bantam could make sense in many places where Ford is turning off the lights.

Nova-Ford-Curier-2015+(1).jpg

courier1_19122018_11437_1280_960.jpg

fiat-strada-volcano-1.3-2021.jpg

Edited by passis

13 hours ago, passis said:

https://www.musclecarsandtrucks.com/ford-maverick-not-replacing-fusion-sedan-maybe-room-for-smaller-truck/

Maybe room for a smaller-than-Maverick truck? I don't think so, considering Ford's very US-centric upcoming portfolio. But a newer version of the Courier/Bantam could make sense in many places where Ford is turning off the lights.

That article was all over the place-

The Maverick is replacing cheaper Cars and Ecosport in Price. Not replacing the Fusion in the lineup, but at this point who knows what is coming for Ford NA or EU in the midsize segment. We have some sort of BEV replacing the Edge and Evos is in China, without any indications for NA or EU. 

The Fiat pictured above is roughly 14 inches shorter then the Maverick-unsure about the interior space, but if you chop a foot off the bed of the Maverick (think its 5 foot?) it would be virtually the same size. 

Latest updates for the next 24 months-NA Specific.

Ecosport Dead after 2022

Maverick

Transit Connect (based on Maverick/built in Mexico)

Escape (refresh)

Bronco Sport

Mustang (refresh/hybrid)
Mustang Mach E 

Edge Dead after 2023

Midsized BEV "Explorer Sport"/Edge Replacement (GE2 based)

Bronco Warthog Raptor

Ranger (new platform/PHEV/HEV)

Transit BEV

F-150 Lightening BEV

On 10/9/2021 at 7:15 PM, passis said:

Nova-Ford-Curier-2015+(1).jpg

courier1_19122018_11437_1280_960.jpg

Unlikely, but maybe it's possible that ford is reversing their decision to completely abandon the sedan market in NA. We saw what was clearly a ford sedan testing overseas. We assumed the evos would replace the fusion, that didn't turn out to be the case. Then we assumed the maverick was ford's affordable car replacement. That doesn't appear to be the case either. So maybe ford will bring the fusion back to the states? I don't know at this point lol, ford's product plans have been jumping all over the place as of late.

33 minutes ago, docarter said:

I am desperately hoping Ford brings back a rwd Mustang based sedan. I guarantee it would sell. 

Ford was spied benchmarking a charger hellcat and a c8. I'm calling it now, Ford's gonna expand the mustang sub-brand with a mustang sedan and a mid-engine offering. Maybe I'm jumping the gun, but I need a reason to be optimistic about something right now lol.

15 hours ago, DeluxeStang said:

Unlikely, but maybe it's possible that ford is reversing their decision to completely abandon the sedan market in NA. We saw what was clearly a ford sedan testing overseas. We assumed the evos would replace the fusion, that didn't turn out to be the case. Then we assumed the maverick was ford's affordable car replacement. That doesn't appear to be the case either. So maybe ford will bring the fusion back to the states? I don't know at this point lol, ford's product plans have been jumping all over the place as of late.

I think Ford's plans have changed again-five years ago Ford was thinking that Gas/Hybrid was going to be a still viable solution going forward for another 10-15 years. With pollical winds changing and all these requirements that have come down to go electric by 2030-2035, Ford changed its plans again within the past 18-24 months and is depreciating any gas/hybrid only platform development that isn't already locked into place/going into production in the next 24 months. 

Current platforms will stay into production with updates for the next 10-15 years, maybe less and a BEV solution will developed and built along side of them, eventually replacing the Gas versions next decade. 

Sedans have too much competition/become commodities-Ford can't come out with say a BEV Fusion sedan and charge an extra $3-5k for it vs the competition. 

I know Ford at one point had Jeep (Bronco Sub brand) and Subaru lined up as who they where going after for marketshare that was profitable, but it appears that NA that the Subaru thing has gone to the wayside. 

• 1 month later...

One of the biggest issues I have is that Ford thinks it can wait until the second half of the decade to address smaller EVs, it’s another example of a lumbering giant having no idea how quickly things have changed and then one day, suddenly realising that customers really want electric vehicles and having no capacity or resources to do so.

The Lightning is a case in point, Ford was going to ease into EVs with this variation of F150 architecture, modest production  while preparing its new BEV platform for the main assault. Now the plan changes because it has a monster hit on its hands, it’s quite humorous watching Ford all at sea handling massive interest in its products, these are mostly new buyers to the brand, how many years have we been waiting for this.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

I think Ford is just being conservative, not wanting to divert resources from profitable ICE vehicles chasing a still somewhat unknown BEV market.  They’re trying to straddle the fence and play both sides.  The downside is if BEV demand skyrockets they’ll be short on volume. But I think that’s better than going all in on BEVs and lose out on ICE and hybrid profits if BEV adoption is slower.  Ford has traditionally been a fast follower and as long as they have the tech and platforms they’ll catch up and be fine.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, akirby said:

I think Ford is just being conservative, not wanting to divert resources from profitable ICE vehicles chasing a still somewhat unknown BEV market.  They’re trying to straddle the fence and play both sides.  The downside is if BEV demand skyrockets they’ll be short on volume. But I think that’s better than going all in on BEVs and lose out on ICE and hybrid profits if BEV adoption is slower.  Ford has traditionally been a fast follower and as long as they have the tech and platforms they’ll catch up and be fine.

I think that's pretty standard. Most traditional manufacturers don't move or change drastically.  Plans are methodically thought out, investing in research, trends, and analytics.  Newer companies tend to disrupt the status quo, make bold moves but often don't have the funds to take them further. These companies are the ones you see on crowdfunding sites and pitching to those guys on dragon's den and private ventures who take a huge slice of revenues for providing 'small' investments in the company. Ford definitely will play both sides and ramp up certain products lines so long as its profitable 

14 hours ago, akirby said:

They’re trying to straddle the fence and play both sides. 

That's Ford's biggest weakness. Jim Hackett spoke about this in 2020 when he said "I don’t think this company can keep straddling the old and new worlds forever ... This company has to change”.

Fortunately, Hackett's successor as Ford CEO Jim Farley understands this too, and his commitment to go all-in with BEV is a step in the right direction. But jpd80's concern about the pace of Ford's new BEV product rollout is fully justified. Incumbent automakers who fail to make the transition from "old world" to "new world" quickly will die amid the ongoing automotive industry revolution. Farley has a very tough job ahead to ensure Ford Motor Company doesn't become a casualty.

1 hour ago, rperez817 said:

That's Ford's biggest weakness. Jim Hackett spoke about this in 2020 when he said "I don’t think this company can keep straddling the old and new worlds forever ... This company has to change”.

Fortunately, Hackett's successor as Ford CEO Jim Farley understands this too, and his commitment to go all-in with BEV is a step in the right direction. But jpd80's concern about the pace of Ford's new BEV product rollout is fully justified. Incumbent automakers who fail to make the transition from "old world" to "new world" quickly will die amid the ongoing automotive industry revolution. Farley has a very tough job ahead to ensure Ford Motor Company doesn't become a casualty.

As usual you’re exaggerating the impact.  This transition will be slower than you think and companies that can keep satisfying demand for ICE and hev vehicles while also making high demand high profit BEVs.  The only way this is a problem is if the company doesn’t invest in BEV tech and capacity to support the transition.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, rperez817 said:

Sorry, but there's absolutely no way Ford becomes a 'casualty' that brand will outlive us, our children, and our grandchildren lol.