Perpetual Future Ford Products thread

A couple weeks ago in Colorado, my wife pointed out a truck with "weird paint".  I was distracted trying to pay attention to directions and it didn't hit me what she was talking about until we pulled right up next to it, and I had only seconds at the light to whip out my camera.  This is the only picture I was able to get, not sure if it is a refresh of the Super Duty, or maybe a special version (it says Roush on the C-pillar).  I've never seen one of these test vehicles in person, so it was a neat catch.

fordtruck.jpg

Edited by mustang84isu
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, passis said:

Interesting powertrain options but...no EV?

The availability of a 2.0 turbocharged four-cylinder gasoline engine with 251 hp of power is confirmed , connected to an eight-speed automatic transmission and four-wheel drive system. There is speculation about a hybrid version .

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/23/2022 at 12:15 PM, silvrsvt said:

What do you consider a "road trip"

if you can go 300 miles one way on a charge-its about a 5-6 hours drive on the east coast. I had to go to the VA beach area from central NJ and had to stop 3 times for gas (small tank in an Escape) round trip. On the way down I stopped to eat lunch-I could have recharged about 80% in 20-30 minutes. 

My wife and I are taking a vacation trip the last week of October to a destination about 430 miles away.  It would suck to have to stop partway to charge an EV.  We should be able to make it on one tank of gas in our Escape. My only real major complaints about EVs: range and charging time.  If they can get those two solved, I'll consider one.

• 5 weeks later...
On 8/22/2022 at 8:59 PM, TomServo92 said:

My wife and I are taking a vacation trip the last week of October to a destination about 430 miles away.  It would suck to have to stop partway to charge an EV.  We should be able to make it on one tank of gas in our Escape. My only real major complaints about EVs: range and charging time.  If they can get those two solved, I'll consider one.

When my wife and I go on long-ish trips (3+hrs) we generally stop to eat. Most vehicles on the proper charging station can get topped up quicker than you could have a decent meal. Still longer than a fill-up.

I just got a '22 F-150 powerboost but when our (now 2nd vehicle) 2017 Kia Sedona is driven into the ground (5-6yrs) we're definitely going with all electric. If tiny bit more planning on a trip means getting rid of the need for gas, I'm in!

Edited by jflottawa

5 hours ago, jflottawa said:

When my wife and I go on long-ish trips (3+hrs) we generally stop to eat. Most vehicles on the proper charging station can get topped up quicker than you could have a decent meal. Still longer than a fill-up.

I just got a '22 F-150 powerboost but when our (now 2nd vehicle) 2017 Kia Sedona is driven into the ground (5-6yrs) we're definitely going with all electric. If tiny bit more planning on a trip means getting rid of the need for gas, I'm in!

Have you actually done this?  It’s a sound theory but I highly doubt you can find an available fast charger within walking distance of your chosen restaurant.  At least not without a lot of planning and compromise.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, akirby said:

Have you actually done this?  It’s a sound theory but I highly doubt you can find an available fast charger within walking distance of your chosen restaurant.......

And a charger that isn't broken down.  My small town has a few chargers downtown that are no better than 50/50  The Electrify America chargers near the freeway (I-75) are more reliable, but even they have their problems.  The Tesla Superchargers seem to work well.

20 hours ago, akirby said:

Have you actually done this?  It’s a sound theory but I highly doubt you can find an available fast charger within walking distance of your chosen restaurant.  At least not without a lot of planning and compromise.

It takes a pioneering spirit. At the dawn of the ICE age, gasoline was sold mostly through coal companies and drug stores, that also sold kerosene for lamps. and not every vendor carried it. Gasoline was actually used first in "modern" stoves. Supply was spotty while refining was ratcheting up and dedicated gas stations sprung up. If you were traveling any distance, you wanted to carry enough gas for the trip, as you couldn't be sure there would be any available at your destination. Better to hitch the buggy; everybody had hay & oats.

s-l1600.jpg

27 minutes ago, Chrisgb said:

If you were traveling any distance, you wanted to carry enough gas for the trip, as you couldn't be sure there would be any available at your destination.

Hell I was doing that 30 years ago-Some friends of mine decided to take a ride to France (was station in Germany at the time) and we filled up a bunch of fuel containers and put them in a back of a Civic Hatchback because we didn't want to buy gas on the economy. Man that was freaking stupid! LOL

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Chrisgb said:

If you were traveling any distance, you wanted to carry enough gas for the trip, as you couldn't be sure there would be any available at your destination.

I still do that today when we take long trips towing our fifth wheel.  10 gallons of diesel fuel in cans goes in the back of the truck.  Gives me the freedom to decide where I buy fuel, and I can more easily stretch the distance between fuel stops.  I don't have to freak out when the truck says "25 miles to empty" since I've got another 100 miles worth of fuel in the back of the truck if I can't find a place I can fit our 60' train in.  Plus, out West, you can go 100+ miles and not see a gas station at all.

10 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

Hell I was doing that 30 years ago-Some friends of mine decided to take a ride to France (was station in Germany at the time) and we filled up a bunch of fuel containers and put them in a back of a Civic Hatchback because we didn't want to buy gas on the economy. Man that was freaking stupid! LOL

How did we survive our youth? ?

On 9/23/2022 at 5:58 AM, fordmantpw said:

I still do that today when we take long trips towing our fifth wheel.  10 gallons of diesel fuel in cans goes in the back of the truck.  Gives me the freedom to decide where I buy fuel, and I can more easily stretch the distance between fuel stops.  I don't have to freak out when the truck says "25 miles to empty" since I've got another 100 miles worth of fuel in the back of the truck if I can't find a place I can fit our 60' train in.  Plus, out West, you can go 100+ miles and not see a gas station at all.

Same here, always carried an emergency 10 gallons of diesel in the truck bed, as my preference is to fill the truck after we unhitch and set up the coach.

• Like 1

On 9/22/2022 at 11:39 AM, akirby said:

Never done it, and maybe it would be murphy's law that when we need it none would be available but in our recent travels we always see plenty of empty charging stations... and, you're supposed to choose the restaurant based on the charging station... not the other way around!! ?

That being said we're in Canada (Eastern Ontario) - so the volume of EV population (or at least EV vs charging stations) is probably still very low. 

I agree that it would take some planning ahead, but if your choice is to go the EV route, that's the challenge you accept. The extra time spent for the huge trip savings multiplier vs gas. -- Not talking total cost of ownership here, just trip vs trip... ahum, I know how these threads go. Say one thing and a whole new discussion starts ?

Edited by jflottawa

2 hours ago, jflottawa said:

Never done it, and maybe it would be murphy's law that when we need it none would be available but in our recent travels we always see plenty of empty charging stations... and, you're supposed to choose the restaurant based on the charging station... not the other way around!! ?

That being said we're in Canada (Eastern Ontario) - so the volume of EV population (or at least EV vs charging stations) is probably still very low. 

I agree that it would take some planning ahead, but if your choice is to go the EV route, that's the challenge you accept. The extra time spent for the huge trip savings multiplier vs gas. -- Not talking total cost of ownership here, just trip vs trip... ahum, I know how these threads go. Say one thing and a whole new discussion starts ?

Well of course you can make that work with enough planning and compromise but everyone makes it sound like you just stop for food like you normally would on a trip and just plug in while you’re eating.  It is nowhere near that simple.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, jflottawa said:

I agree that it would take some planning ahead, but if your choice is to go the EV route, that's the challenge you accept.

That is an important point.  For my wife and me, we aren’t willing to accept that challenge.  So, our next vehicle will not be an EV. 

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, CurtisH said:

That is an important point.  For my wife and me, we aren’t willing to accept that challenge.  So, our next vehicle will not be an EV. 

Exactly.  If you’re willing to do that have at it.  I’d love an EV pickup but our travel vehicle will not be EV for several years.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jflottawa said:

I'm in Metro Vancouver where electric vehicles are increasingly common. Downtown we have a few charging stations, but I never see any of them available. It is often the same vehicles parked at them every day.

Even with the amount of BEV's on our roads, I'm not aware of any local business that provides a charging station.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Rangers09 said:

I'm not aware of any local business that provides a charging station

We have 2 locations near each other. One with 2 stations and the Canadian tire in Kemptville has installed 8 or so Tesla charging stations.
In that plaza you have access to all sorts of food options.

Again I'm not "must get an EV" and I'm not disagreeing with anyone. That's why I didn't stand in line for an F150 lightning. I couldn't imagine stopping every 150km (or less) for a charge when towing (boat or RV). The day we choose an EV it will likely cover a solid radius of any single-day trip we'd ever want to take (or be willing to deal with the pain of finding mid-route charging options).

32 minutes ago, coupe3w said:

I bet EV drivers spend more time looking at their battery charge meter than ICE drivers look at their gas gauge.

I agree at least at first! I imagine one would get used to the behavior and range of their vehicle - but yeah definitely less anxiety in having to find a gas station than finding charging stations!

Edited by jflottawa