Perpetual Future Ford Products thread

1 hour ago, 70 Stang said:

https://news.stanford.edu/2022/09/22/charging-cars-home-night-not-way-go/

Now here is an article that says we shouldn't charge EV's at home at night.

I was just about to post that, though the discussion of it is probably best in the Electric Vehicles - Ford-related thread. In short, this seemingly counter-intuitive conclusion is due to increased state mandates (especially in the western states) for solar and wind power, which do not provide 24-hour base-load power. 

Edited by Gurgeh

47 minutes ago, Gurgeh said:

I was just about to post that, though the discussion of it is probably best in the Electric Vehicles - Ford-related thread. In short, this seemingly counter-intuitive conclusion is due to increased state mandates (especially in the western states) for solar and wind power, which do not provide 24-hour base-load power. 

I mentioned that in a post a few weeks ago, though I was just using common sense and not however millions of dollars Stanford spent to perform a study and put out an article...

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, akirby said:

Don’t use them to tow heavy loads long distances.  Problem solved.

50 miles isn’t that far, that’s a round trip commute to work for me. That’s just shy of the distance to the boat launch I like to go to during the walleye run. If I can’t make it there on a single charge then I should have bought a different truck. 

22 minutes ago, akirby said:

So the few people that use them that way shouldn’t buy a Lightning. Why is this even a debate?

Because Ford made a big deal about how you can still use it for truck stuff. Granted it’s one video of real world evidence but so far it seems to be not very good at truck stuff and merely a means of getting from A to B. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Because Ford made a big deal about how you can still use it for truck stuff. Granted it’s one video of real world evidence but so far it seems to be not very good at truck stuff and merely a means of getting from A to B. 

Truck stuff is a hell of a lot more than just towing a heavy trailer.  Hauling furniture, appliances, mulch, lumber, plants, concrete, mortar, etc and towing a motorcycle or a jet ski or a small utility trailer are all “truck stuff” that doesn’t compromise range much.

But by all means let’s focus on the 5% that haul heavy trailers instead of the 95% who don’t.

1 hour ago, akirby said:

Truck stuff is a hell of a lot more than just towing a heavy trailer.  Hauling furniture, appliances, mulch, lumber, plants, concrete, mortar, etc and towing a motorcycle or a jet ski or a small utility trailer are all “truck stuff” that doesn’t compromise range much.

But by all means let’s focus on the 5% that haul heavy trailers instead of the 95% who don’t.

I would hardly consider an aluminum trailer with a Model A on it a heavy trailer. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I would hardly consider an aluminum trailer with a Model A on it a heavy trailer. 

But they also generate a lot of additional drag, which eats into range. 

I wouldn’t mind seeing a chart of how much different it is from a gas powered vehicle. I’ve seen reports of gas powered vehicles getting sub-10 MPGs towing things, which isn’t optimal either. 

And I’m going to assume that the vast majority of lightings are going to be used as passenger vehicles 95% of the time. But that also goes in to the augment of buying a vehicle that meets your needs and not your wants either. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, akirby said:

Did you even watch the video?

First of all the Lightning in Hoovies video is a standard range, so it isn't going to have all that much range to begin with.  2nd point is towing anything cuts your range in half, just look at all the fuel mileage testing on gas pickups.  The only difference between BEV and gas is the speed of the fill-up. Larger heavy duty trucks don't suffer as much as the engines tend to not be very efficient at lighter loads because they are optimized for under load conditions.  So they don't suffer as much of a drop in fuel efficiency when towing.  The standard range Lightning would be like having an gas F-150 with only a 13 gallon tank.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, coupe3w said:

Maybe true but some people use their trucks as trucks, not a status symbol.

The "status symbol" oriented market for new LD full size pickup trucks is easily the largest portion of sales of such vehicles for non-commercial use. 

For those like Hoovie who have concerns about BEV pickup truck range when towing, new technologies for battery electric self-propelled trailers should address that. The RV company Lippert is already working on a prototype and expects to have a production ready system ready in 2023. Lippert Developing 'Edison' EV Towable Chassis Prototype - RVBusiness - Breaking RV Industry News

1 hour ago, rperez817 said:

The "status symbol" oriented market for new LD full size pickup trucks is easily the largest portion of sales of such vehicles for non-commercial use. 

For those like Hoovie who have concerns about BEV pickup truck range when towing, new technologies for battery electric self-propelled trailers should address that. The RV company Lippert is already working on a prototype and expects to have a production ready system ready in 2023. Lippert Developing 'Edison' EV Towable Chassis Prototype - RVBusiness - Breaking RV Industry News

Since most TT's & 5th wheels are already operated at, or above GVWR, what are they going to remove to provide weight space for the batteries - smaller tanks, less structure, etc? If they are providing power for additional boondocking, you require more tank capacity, not less. Otherwise, the only option is to increase RV's GVWR, which requires more truck to pull them.  Clearly BEV's, at this time, can't handle towing any additional weight.

• Like 1