Perpetual Future Ford Products thread

2 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

Chinese market only at this time. 

The Mach E or Bronco is rough replacements for the Edge in North America 

There have been some claims (BORG at GMI) that Nautilus IS coming here again, but he's not always right, and that decision seems to have flip flopped a few times already.

28 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

There have been some claims (BORG at GMI) that Nautilus IS coming here again, but he's not always right, and that decision seems to have flip flopped a few times already.

Yeah I agree about that-it all boils down to the timing of BEV products. A Lincoln based off the Mach E would be a decent replacement if they don't bring in the Chinese market one. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

The last inside info I heard a few months ago was that Ford themselves had not yet decided whether to import it.

Yeah I agree about that-it all boils down to the timing of BEV products. A Lincoln based off the Mach E would be a decent replacement if they don't bring in the Chinese market one. 

Well, that was the weird thing too - he was saying we'd get both - Nautilus and a Mach E based model.

2 hours ago, akirby said:

The last inside info I heard a few months ago was that Ford themselves had not yet decided whether to import it.

Yeah, this was from a week or two ago....but who knows when his source info is from.

1 hour ago, akirby said:

Why wouldn’t we get both?  One is ICE and one is BEV.

I fully agree with you, that in the short term they should get both - but at the moment, Lincoln is on track to have just 3 vehicles (Corsair, Aviator, Navigator), with the immediate future of any other models in question - he says both of those would be sourced from China, and that it's gone back and forth.  So I'd consider it lucky to get one let alone both.

4 hours ago, akirby said:

Why wouldn’t we get both?  One is ICE and one is BEV.

25% tariff probably makes the whole thing moot

Ford probably did plan to import it when it made the decision to only build it in China. But the business case probably doesn't make sense if the Trump tariff doesn't get repealed. 

If anything, the new BEVs getting launched in the EU would temper Mach E sales to a point and Ford is trying to build out Mach E battery production, so I'd say a Lincoln Mach E from Mexico is far more likely than a Chinese built Lincoln. Unless they put it into LAP, but ICE Escape production is supposed to go bye bye in 2028? Not sure making an additional ICE Lincoln for maybe 4-5 years would be right action either. 

I guess we will have better idea in about 6 months when the UAW contract is nailed down. 

10 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

If anything, the new BEVs getting launched in the EU would temper Mach E sales to a point and Ford is trying to build out Mach E battery production, so I'd say a Lincoln Mach E from Mexico is far more likely than a Chinese built Lincoln. Unless they put it into LAP, but ICE Escape production is supposed to go bye bye in 2028? Not sure making an additional ICE Lincoln for maybe 4-5 years would be right action either. 

I guess we will have better idea in about 6 months when the UAW contract is nailed down. 

To me it makes sense to build Nautilus and Corsair together at LAP until both go away or volume drops too low.  Same platform, same drivetrains.  Or just make Corsair a bit larger.  It’s pretty close now with the exception of cargo space but it was too small for us.

5 hours ago, akirby said:

To me it makes sense to build Nautilus and Corsair together at LAP until both go away or volume drops too low.  Same platform, same drivetrains.  Or just make Corsair a bit larger.  It’s pretty close now with the exception of cargo space but it was too small for us.

The Corsair just got a refresh, so I don't see that happening and with the timing of ICE wind down for the Escape platform...

I'm gonna guess the Chinese Nautilus is going to be same size as the new Chinese Edge (almost the same as the current Explorer)...though the dimensions I saw was for the Edge L...so I guess it will be a smaller model?

18 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

His rumor had us getting this new Nautilus by the end of this year.  The problem is, if you don't bring in (or scramble to find a local production source) a model at least on a short term basis, you're leaving a big time gap where Lincoln is without its best selling product, and down to 3 models.

The Corsair just got a refresh, so I don't see that happening and with the timing of ICE wind down for the Escape platform...

I'm gonna guess the Chinese Nautilus is going to be same size as the new Chinese Edge (almost the same as the current Explorer)...though the dimensions I saw was for the Edge L...so I guess it will be a smaller model?

Yeah, I think it's bigger than ours, but definitely smaller than that Edge L.

• 4 months later...

Ford China is launching a new Transit in China.

Looks like it is the Mk4 RoW model but revised with different front end and interior. Ford didn't introduce the Mk4 in China when it came out in 2014, and instead went with Transit Custom. It is now being introduced in China - Perhaps the new look will eventually make it to Europe and North America? 

edit: The interior is from the current Chinese Transit Custom, which is currently sold as Transit (no Custom suffix) but Ford is also being renamed as Tourneo in China to focus on passenger van market so looks like Transit will be Transit again in China. 

https://www.autohome.com.cn/news/202307/1286894.html#pvareaid=102624

Edited by bzcat