2020 Lincoln Aviator First Drive: Sitting In First Class

22 minutes ago, akirby said:

Those reviewers just can't help themselves comparing it to the Explorer.  Ford could literally change everything on the vehicle except the floor pan and they'd still complain.

But yet they give GM and the Asian brands a pass on their luxury models that are all based on their standard models.  GM can't even give their full size luxury suv's an indepent rear suspension and they don't complain about it in reviews... but when the Aviator is probably 90% different from the Explorer including the suspension, they still get bashed... why???

What I find interesting in reading the reviews is that Lincoln has placed a 2-day delay on releasing the embargo on First Drive reviews of the Grand Touring hybrid. So on Thursday we'll see a second set of First Drives on this configuration which is the subject of much interest and which can't yet be test driven at dealerships.

37 minutes ago, Gurgeh said:

What I find interesting in reading the reviews is that Lincoln has placed a 2-day delay on releasing the embargo on First Drive reviews of the Grand Touring hybrid. So on Thursday we'll see a second set of First Drives on this configuration which is the subject of much interest and which can't yet be test driven at dealerships.

it might be lining up with the release for the MPG numbers for it and the Explorer Hybrid?

• Like 1

Like the 91 Explorer, I think this is only the beginning of the Aviator.  As people seeing the Aviator sitting beside a new Explorer, the notion they are twins with one in play clothes and the other in church attire will go right out the window.  I like the Crystal Copper, I ordered mine in Mocha then changed it to Blue Diamond.  I had the White Res II and really liked the white.  I don't think any color combo could be bad, they all look sharp.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, rmc523 said:

That’s Chroma Caviar; my Continental is that color. It really pops when it’s all cleaned up. 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://q4live.s22.clientfiles.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com/983951170/files/pdf/Revel-and-Revel-Ultima-3D-in-Aviator_Fact-Sheet.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwiZ27CA7pLkAhVCnFkKHY14A7YQFjALegQIAhAB&usg=AOvVaw3uJrdGicPbJu57kI4RWW60

The Motor1 review bashes the speaker grilles, saying "unlike MB and BMW the speaker grilles are cheap plastic".  But the speaker grilles for the Revel Ultima 3D system are actually "laser etched aluminum" and the grilles for the standard Revel system are "expanded metal".  How do you mistake laser etched aluminum and expanded metal for cheap plastic unless your really looking for something to bash??

Edited by CoolScoop
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, CoolScoop said:

Black Label in white I was checking out the other day...

10581.jpeg

If you opt for the GT or any BL model, the lower body panels are painted. That's why the white looks so impressive. On a 'regular' Aviator, I'd probably opt for a darker color to hide the lower black plastic trim.

10 hours ago, CoolScoop said:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://q4live.s22.clientfiles.s3-website-us-east-1.amazonaws.com/983951170/files/pdf/Revel-and-Revel-Ultima-3D-in-Aviator_Fact-Sheet.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwiZ27CA7pLkAhVCnFkKHY14A7YQFjALegQIAhAB&usg=AOvVaw3uJrdGicPbJu57kI4RWW60

The Motor1 review bashes the speaker grilles, saying "unlike MB and BMW the speaker grilles are cheap plastic".  But the speaker grilles for the Revel Ultima 3D system are actually "laser etched aluminum" and the grilles for the standard Revel system are "expanded metal".  How do you mistake laser etched aluminum and expanded metal for cheap plastic unless your really looking for something to bash??

These reviews should be titled "initial impression".  I saw no mention of the Heads up display, which is the best I've ever used, his missing info on the dash is in the windscreen where it located on todays advanced aircraft.  He also fails to mention the adaptive steering.   Sometimes these writers want to be invited back to the German test drives to be wined and dined and are afraid to say what they really think.  My German cars are nice, the ones I test drove the past 12 months were better.  I'm glad I waited to drive the Aviator.  My first Lincoln will join the stable this fall or whenever the GTs get built and I could not be happier about choosing to wait.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, CoolScoop said:

His statement is half true, half false.  I know exactly what he's talking about, but he did it in a "take a shot" way instead of presenting it truthfully.

The main speaker grilles ARE metal/aluminum (what you see with the pretty spiral pattern).  BUT....the round speaker within that speaker grill IS a cheap silver plastic thing that does take away from the otherwise premium materials used elsewhere.  This photo below is Navigator's, but the Lincolns are using the same setup in every car.  As you can see, the spiral part IS metal.  The speaker grille within the round speaker is also metal.  But the ring around the embedded speaker (the part with the Revel R logo) is a cheap plastic.  Or if it's metal, it very much looks plastic in person.

Image result for lincoln aviator speaker

Oh found one for Aviator:

Image result for lincoln aviator speaker

Edited by rmc523

I find that rather funny.

My $5,000 B&O speaker-system I have on my Audi Q7 has those fancy pop-up speakers in the dash and the top is plastic as well. The lower speaker-covers located in the doors are plastic-too. Haven't read a single complaint about that so far...

• Like 1