Ford Mustang Mach E World Premiere Nov 17 9PM EST

Thanks for this. I'm guessing Los Angeles Auto Show for reveal as it's the show of choice for green vehicles.

While I'm all for Mustang-inspired electric-powered crossover as they said, I don't think they need to use the Mustang running pony logo. I have an idea of how they should market the vehicle. Simply name it Leopard after one of the fastest running land animal. Cheetah is already taken by GM, if I'm not taken. But Leopard as the name and use the running Leopard as a logo which would be similar to how the Mustang running logo is. That way, two fast animals are used with both sharing same design styling cues. This would preserve Mustang as a true 2-door coupe/convertible pony car with I4, V8, and Hybrid while the Leopard as a 4-door crossover with electric powered or the rumored gas-powered version as article suggested. Ford needs to be really careful not to ruin the Mustang name and identity if they intend to use the Mustang running horse logo on the crossover (Mach-E??) as shown by Ford at the auto show. I know that image they used was a CGI picture for visual purposes but they really need to be careful how they design it and market it. I'm still looking forward to the reveal of the crossover as well as see how it goes.

No offense intended, but if you are concerned about Ford using the Mustang heritage to sell this BEV, you should probably get over it.  I’m a Mustang guy, I think it’s brilliant.  

“We want to create vehicles that that make people smile,” Marentic said. “We don’t plan to spend a lot of money on marketing....”

https://www.thedetroitbureau.com/2019/08/ford-readying-for-mustang-inspired-suv-as-it-leans-on-icons/

• Like 3

1 minute ago, 02MustangGT said:

No offense intended, but if you are concerned about Ford using the Mustang heritage to sell this BEV, you should probably get over it.  I’m a Mustang guy, I think it’s brilliant.  

“We want to create vehicles that that make people smile,” Marentic said. “We don’t plan to spend a lot of money on marketing....”

https://www.thedetroitbureau.com/2019/08/ford-readying-for-mustang-inspired-suv-as-it-leans-on-icons/

I agree, I would love a Mustang BEV to parked beside my GT

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, 02MustangGT said:

I have no problems with Ford using the heritage to sell the BEV but only for the styling, not name and running horse logo. Just because you or some others like the idea doesn't mean I should just get over it. There was an uproar when the vehicle was originally announced to be called the Mach 1, after the old high performance Mustang trimline. Uproar so huge that Ford had to backtrack on the name and even marketing. I do like and appreciate how they're calling it 'Mustang-inspired' but still need to be careful how they market it. I have no problem if they even call it Ford Mach-E, just not Mustang Mach-E or anything with Mustang as part of the name. The styling alone would allow anyone to associate the Mustang with it which would be okay. I have seen the official teaser picture of it with the back end. I love it!!

I seen a video on YouTube where one of the YouTuber got to meet Jim Hackett and the guy asked him if a Mustang 4-door was coming out. Jim paused and had the look on his face like 'are you crazy?' and told him that Bill Ford is a huge Mustang guy and encouraged him to ask Bill that question. The guy told Jim that he did ask Bill and Bill told him to ask Jim. Jim then explained that there was a time when Ford wasn't doing the Mustang right (Fox Body era with plans to turn it into front drive era?) and even said he has a Shelby GT350. So I do have confidence somewhat that Jim Hackett and others in higher-up at Ford are doing it right but still need to be careful.

I'm with pffan1990.........using the Mustang name and/or pony logo does not sit well with me either. Mach-E shares NOTHING with Mustang in terms of structure/chassis/engines and, more importantly, shares nothing with what Mustang has stood for for 55 years. This, to me, is cynical marketing, latching onto the cool Mustang name just to get people to accept this new vehicle. If it's good enough (and I'm sure it will be) then it would sell regardless of any Mustang "connection".

Well, you could look at it as the running pony logo is running toward the future and @pffan1990, the "foxbody era" dragged Mustang out of the doldrums of the Mustang II era and put it back on track to being a performance car and it has evolved ever since. My personal opinion was Ford was never going to call what became Probe the Mustang III (yes, Mustang 3) but instead it was a marketing ploy to drum up interest in Probe.  

14 minutes ago, twintornados said:

Well, you could look at it as the running pony logo is running toward the future and @pffan1990, the "foxbody era" dragged Mustang out of the doldrums of the Mustang II era and put it back on track to being a performance car and it has evolved ever since. My personal opinion was Ford was never going to call what became Probe the Mustang III (yes, Mustang 3) but instead it was a marketing ploy to drum up interest in Probe.  

My opinion is that the original plan was to name Probe "Mustang" no III, but a ton of angry mail changed their minds.  I am not sure if you lived through the era but I did (and wrote a letter) but that was the direction at the time with all of the Asian coups (celica, 200SX, prelude,) being hot and Ford wanting to take them head on.  The final solution was best as they had a direct competitor but kept the Mustang as it was intended and have improved it over the years.  Also all of those other cars including Probe are gone now.

As far as the Mustang logo on the Mach-E, how would those of you that are against it feel about a different horse logo like how Bronco has a horse logo but it is  different.  Mach-E could have a third iteration.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tzach said:

As far as the Mustang logo on the Mach-E, how would those of you that are against it feel about a different horse logo like how Bronco has a horse logo but it is  different.  Mach-E could have a third iteration.

That would work for me (just don't use the Mustang name)..........a 3rd horse would work

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, tzach said:

My opinion is that the original plan was to name Probe "Mustang" no III, but a ton of angry mail changed their minds.  I am not sure if you lived through the era but I did (and wrote a letter) but that was the direction at the time with all of the Asian coups (celica, 200SX, prelude,) being hot and Ford wanting to take them head on.  The final solution was best as they had a direct competitor but kept the Mustang as it was intended and have improved it over the years.  Also all of those other cars including Probe are gone now.

Oh, I was around for that era and remember the outcry when Ford suggested that what became Probe would be named Mustang III and would replace Ford EXP in the line....again, my opinion was then as it is now, it was a ploy to garner interest...and man, did it ever. 

Edited by twintornados

12 minutes ago, Twin Turbo said:

Ford (Performance) has plenty of high performance cars

Let's count them.

Ford GT (soon to be discontinued)

Mustang

That's it.

12 minutes ago, Twin Turbo said:

they don't seem to need to stick ponies on non-Mustangs ;)

(cough) Bronco (cough)

F150 Raptor

Ranger Raptor

Explorer ST

Edge ST

Focus RS (we still get it in the UK)

Focus ST (ditto)

Fiesta ST (ditto)

The point is, Ford has a long and proud performance heritage and Mustang is just one part of that.

Maybe I'll change my tune when Mach E finally hits the streets. Maybe I'll understand what the Mustang connection is.

52 minutes ago, Twin Turbo said:

F150 Raptor

Ranger Raptor

Explorer ST

Edge ST

Focus RS (we still get it in the UK)

Focus ST (ditto)

Fiesta ST (ditto)

Torino Talladega 

Falcon Sprint

Fairlane Thunderbolt 

Aussie Falcon XA, XB, etc

Maverick Grabber

Probe GT

Taurus SHO

Just a few off the top of my head....I know there are more. 

Edited by twintornados

15 minutes ago, Gurgeh said:

I wonder, will there be a Lincoln designed parallel to this (my guess is no, as Lincoln isn't currently in the performance car space), or will their first BEV be the larger 2023MY Nautilus-sized vehicle?

To me, it's sounded like the Mach E is its' own thing, and Lincoln won't get a version, but Ford and Lincoln will both get larger BEV utilities.  At least that's the impression I've gotten.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tzach said:

I'm thinking the Mach-E would be a better name for the upcoming Mustang Hybrid model. There's the Mach 1 that can be gas V8 with Shaker Hood scoop and then Mach-E which would be V8 hybrid.

As for horse logo, I like how Bronco also had a horse logo but it's galloping and kicking dirt. So I would have no problem with the 'Mach-E' vehicle having a variation of the running horse to tie it to the Mustang inspiration as long as it also gets a different name too. I'm thinking as a logo, it would have horse running fast but jumping over something like a fence or a barrier but the head and front legs are looking upwards and in the direction to the left similar to the Mustang. But jumping as in it's leaping into the future. That way the Mustang is on a flat land running fast and Bronco is galloping and kicking dirt while the electric crossover is leaping into the future being that it's electric powered that Goes Like Hell with over 300 miles of range. Think of marketing that they can run with the leaping logo. Glad to see others agree with me about not using the exact same Mustang logo as well as name attached to it.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

To me, it's sounded like the Mach E is its' own thing, and Lincoln won't get a version, but Ford and Lincoln will both get larger BEV utilities.  At least that's the impression I've gotten.

Yeah, that's what it sounds like to me too. But we'll find out for sure soon enough. 

3 hours ago, pffan1990 said:

I'm thinking the Mach-E would be a better name for the upcoming Mustang Hybrid model. There's the Mach 1 that can be gas V8 with Shaker Hood scoop and then Mach-E which would be V8 hybrid.

Whilst I was really hoping the new Mach 1 would be a 5.2 cross plane crank, normally aspirated V8................I wouldn't be against them using the Mach 1 name for the hybrid.........just so long as that's a 5.0 V8 hybrid!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1