Ford Mustang Mach E World Premiere Nov 17 9PM EST

1 hour ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

The only thing I remember was dean saying the 10 bev states would be given first priority 

Let’s hope they bite hard and Mach E hits and goes, there are lots of places that love Ford’s new products, UK AND AUS as RHD markets mean more engineering but at premium mustang prices it might be worth a shot.

6 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Let’s hope they bite hard and Mach E hits and goes, there are lots of places that love Ford’s new products, UK AND AUS as RHD markets mean more engineering but at premium mustang prices it might be worth a shot.

Get it to Oz at a reasonable price and I think it will do well.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

The only thing I remember was dean saying the 10 bev states would be given first priority 

Interesting article on that subject. Rankings based on most charging stations per capita, most EV registrations, lowest cost to charge.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jimgorzelany/2018/10/16/heres-which-states-are-best-for-owning-an-electric-car/#34e2984b4a06

HRG

15 hours ago, jpd80 said:

As assimilator was saying, Ford won’t have the cutting edge of Tesla or the charging network but,

they will have other things that are probably more tangible to buyers, like rolling out home charging systems and a dealer network that Tesla can only dream about. Imagine having issues with a Tesla and being able to go to a dealer and get them resolved without an online interrogation 

i just see Ford reaching  a lot more customers even if this remains a toe in the water product. You never know until you try

damned autocorrect 

question...what IS so cutting edge about Tesla?...Autopilot...fail....being able to beckon your car at a parking lot....fail....falcon doors....fail. Ease of service?...fail....infrastructure?...fail, business model?...fail...

4 minutes ago, Deanh said:

question...what IS so cutting edge about Tesla?...Autopilot...fail....being able to beckon your car at a parking lot....fail....falcon doors....fail. Ease of service?...fail....infrastructure?...fail, business model?...fail...

I hear Tesla electronics are state-of-the-art, probably best in class.  But so what?  Few people care if the vehicle they bought has the best electronics.  All they want is for their vehicle to take them safely and reliably from Point A to Point B.  The techies care about the electronic thing, the vast majority of consumers don't.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, mackinaw said:

I hear Tesla electronics are state-of-the-art, probably best in class.  But so what?  Few people care if the vehicle they bought has the best electronics.  All they want is for their vehicle to take them safely and reliably from Point A to Point B.  The techies care about the electronic thing, the vast majority of consumers don't.

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2019/10/tesla-troubles-models-bricking-over-flash-memory-problem/

Excuse me. That's shoddy engineering and development. Beta testing on the public is what I call Tesla. I think the engineer behind the battery and drive train are good but everything else, not so much.

A lot of tech nerds buy Tesla's. 

28 minutes ago, mackinaw said:

did you have Elon over for lunch to tell you they were state of the art ?...FACT...they are no better than any other manufacturer...and in several cases, have been proven sub standard...doors not opening/ closing, glitchy over the air upgrades, the list is long...and the only people convinced  I believe are just victims of questionable publicity usually from the man himself...hearing they are state of the sart is one thing...READING the list of issues is another...and I still want to know what is "cutting edge"....my bet is everything someone comes up with , will already be available in several "mainstream" vehicles... 

Edited by Deanh

10 minutes ago, Deanh said:

did you have Elon over for lunch to tell you they were state of the art ?...

Sandy Munro (former Ford engineer who now runs Munro & Associates) heads a company in SE Michigan that strips downs and analyzes cars for clients.  They totally tore down a Model 3.  He considers the computer/battery/electronic interface to be class-leading, by far the best in the industry.  You can hear his interview on a Autoline After Hours from 2018.

Tesla is basically a tech startup that masquerades as a car company. Its bought by people who like expensive toys. Over the next 24 months they are going to be attacked at the high end and low end of the market by established car makers that will eat into their marketshare and profitability. 

I think the software/electronics is class leading but the biggest thing that Tesla has going for it and why people love it is that it's less like buying and owning a traditional vehicle and more like a smartphone.   No dealing with a traditional dealership.   Plug it in and charge it just like a smartphone and get new "features" with software updates.  It's not a car it's a gadget.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, mackinaw said:

He considers the computer/battery/electronic interface to be class-leading, by far the best in the industry.  

You can be class leading but if you can't turn a profit on what your making...well you have issues. That's why certain things are designed to a price point. 

• Like 1

Just now, silvrsvt said:

You can be class leading but if you can't turn a profit on what your making...well you have issues. That's why certain things are designed to a price point. 

Also - you're talking a pretty low bar if the class is current automobiles.  Electronics and software have never been that great.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, akirby said:

I think the software/electronics is class leading but the biggest thing that Tesla has going for it and why people love it is that it's less like buying and owning a traditional vehicle and more like a smartphone.   No dealing with a traditional dealership.   Plug it in and charge it just like a smartphone and get new "features" with software updates.  It's not a car it's a gadget.

I think you hit the nail on the head there.  When they first came out with the roadster and Model S they were rich people toys who had multiple cars. Tesla still is a status symbol for being well off, because technically it's viewed as a Tech gadget that doubles as a vehicle. It will be interesting to see how we'll they do as the market is flooded with competent competition. The trend setters will move on to something else, giving the try hards another target to try to obtain to show how well off they are.

I read an article the other day saying the biggest loser since the Model 3 has been BMW. Instead of leasing that 3 series to show to portray they have made it, they are leasing Model 3's. For now, it's a better symbol than a 3 series that is everywhere.

16 hours ago, mackinaw said:

The biggest difference between the Mach E and any Tesla......you'll be able to buy a Mach E at any of the nearly 3,000 Ford dealerships that cover the U.S.  Have it serviced too.  Good luck doing that with a Tesla.

But that’s a positive for most Tesla owners.  They hate traditional dealerships.

3 minutes ago, jcartwright99 said:

I read an article the other day saying the biggest loser since the Model 3 has been BMW. Instead of leasing that 3 series to show to portray they have made it, they are leasing Model 3's. For now, it's a better symbol than a 3 series that is everywhere.

Thats funny- the Model 3 IMO is "cheap" car-its kinda goofy looking vs the S and just looks overall low rent/cheap to me. At least the 3 series has some panache to it and has a performance background to it. 

28 minutes ago, akirby said:

But that’s a positive for most Tesla owners.  They hate traditional dealerships.

So did I until I switched dealers when I bought my Flex. Never had a better dealer experience and I won't buy from anyone else now. Too bad they’re an hour away or I would go there for service too. 

30 minutes ago, akirby said:

Not if you talk to Tesla owners who can't get actual simple service performed. My neighbor had two Model S consecutively (lease) and just went back to an Audi because he said the service level deteriorated significantly after Model 3 came out and it is basically impossible to get any help from Tesla. There are 4 Audi dealers within 5 miles of my house and anyone of them will be able to address an issue if he just drop in whenever. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, bzcat said:

Not if you talk to Tesla owners who can't get actual simple service performed. My neighbor had two Model S consecutively (lease) and just went back to an Audi because he said the service level deteriorated significantly after Model 3 came out and it is basically impossible to get any help from Tesla. There are 4 Audi dealers within 5 miles of my house and anyone of them will be able to address an issue if he just drop in whenever. 

Notice I said that's why they buy them.  Maybe not why they keep them........

I do think for most buyers it will be a positive to have so many dealers.

• Like 1

Tesla did good work on the electric Motor for the 3, it combines an induction drive with DC brushless. You get the launch of an AC motor Combined with the lower cost of a DC brushless motor 

mind you, I wonder if Bosch has something similar off the rack.....

Before the 3 arrived, Tesla used AC motors exclusively in ts vehicles but needed something lower cost for the 3, so that’s where the hybrid brushless DC motor came in.

Edited by jpd80

1 hour ago, jcartwright99 said:

Just heard on Autoline Daily today that, in the last quarter, BMW 3-series sales fell 64%.  Maybe not all due to the Model 3, but I betcha BMW is wondering what the hell is going on.