Ford Mustang Mach E World Premiere Nov 17 9PM EST

Just now, Twin Turbo said:

It's a shame you have to revert to name calling when people have a differing view to yourself.

Personally, I'd rather see Mustang die than be turned into something completely different. But that's just my view.

The point is the Mustang has changed already in the past and the classic formula for it still exists. The Mach E is just an extension/expansion of the Mustang brand. 

I'm not name calling-I'm using adjectives to describe the reaction of the people to this.  

10 hours ago, jpd80 said:

The best you can hope for is nothing going wrong with your Tesla, if it does you could be severely screwed.

My experience thus far has been exemplary.  Took me 5 minutes to get in out of the store when I bought it.  It was much more enjoyable than the pressure-fest 4 hour soul-drainer that buying at a dealership can be.  I don’t doubt there can be bad experiences, and I’m sure early models were probably laughably bad, but Ford’s Aviator/Explorer rework rate is a pretty good indicator that even experienced builders like Ford are not immune to line start-up issues, and that’s why I waited so long to get one.

10 minutes ago, Twin Turbo said:

It's a shame you have to revert to name calling when people have a differing view to yourself.

Personally, I'd rather see Mustang die than be turned into something completely different. But that's just my view.

And that’s the point with sub branding, the

Mustang becomes more than one vehicle 

and ford will be keen to justify that with

looks and performance.

This is going to be polarising for  fans As to whether it’s accepted or not or something in between, does this become Ford’s V-Rod.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, novanglus said:

My experience thus far has been exemplary.  Took me 5 minutes to get in out of the store when I bought it.  It was much more enjoyable than the pressure-fest 4 hour soul-drainer that buying at a dealership can be.  I don’t doubt there can be bad experiences, and I’m sure early models were probably laughably bad, but Ford’s Aviator/Explorer rework rate is a pretty good indicator that even experienced builders like Ford are not immune to line start-up issues, and that’s why I waited so long to get one.

You’re gonna kick yourself when you see the Mach E

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HotRunrGuy said:

C'mon guys, think of how easy it could be to develop a 2-door, 2+2 personal sports coupe version off of this, and test the waters.

HRG

I’m just saying they only developed the one four door car, they’d never undermine the coupe that way.

1 minute ago, jpd80 said:

You’re gonna kick yourself when you see the Mach E

I doubt it.  I’ve traveled 3000mi in 6 weeks in the 3.  The Supercharger experience is unrivaled right now.  Ford/EA has a long way to go to catch up.  Further, Tesla has a team constantly improving and updating your car post-purchase.  Every few weeks (like your phone or computer), your car gets better than it was a few weeks ago.  That change in end-user experience will be tough for Ford to adopt.

Last, I was already ready to put a deposit on a Mach for the wife if it is nice enough.  It will be either that or the Y... so I’m not dissing it, just giving you my perspective.

19 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

Meh-I've owned two of them and I welcome the change-some times change is needed to survive. The Mustang II was universally derided for what it was, but it was key in keeping the Mustang name alive back 40+ years ago. 

The unfortunate thing is that the way the automotive landscape is going, keeping the current Mustang from evolving is going to wind up killing it.  

If anything this is going to open up the Mustang to even more people-there is finally going to be a "practical" Mustang with the performance to back it up. 

I fully expect a shit show from knuckledraggers/luddites that can't accept change in their lives 

Point is that this being called Mustang does absolutely nothing for the "Real Mustang" or for the Mach E if it is good on it's own merit.  On the other hand I don't think angry mustang fans are going to hurt it either.  There just is no good reason it could not have just been "Mach E".  To survive the Mustang will have to go electric eventually and there will be no manual, sad but true.  So  I guess eventually mustang could share a platform and more with Mach E but that still doesn't mean it needs to share its name.   So count me among those not happy with this name but if I can swing it this would probably be my wife's next car, she is between this Baby Bronco and Corsair.  Mine of course will be a "Real Mustang".

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jpd80 said:

I’m just saying they only developed the one four door car, they’d never undermine the coupe that way.

I'm not disagreeing, but if people keep walking into dealerships asking for a 2-door version, they'd be stupid not to consider it.  This co-branding could be like F-series, 1 level (the current ICE Mustang), the other BEV-based.

HRG

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, HotRunrGuy said:

I'm not disagreeing, but if people keep walking into dealerships asking for a 2-door version, they'd be stupid not to consider it.  This co-branding could be like F-series, 1 level (the current ICE Mustang), the other BEV-based.

HRG

Small steps grasshopper 

I have a feeling that an “icon” from another mutha is gonna get all kinds of grief from the new car. Mike LeVine is pretty upbeat about performance 

Edited by jpd80

The arguments on the Mustang are really arguments about sub-branding. Ford obviously made the calculus that it would lose fewer traditional Mustang fans (who will go where, then, to Camaro or Challenger?) than it would gain by turning Mustang into a sub-brand for its compact performance vehicles. Its other alternative was to create a new BEV sub-brand like Volvo is with Polestar, though until MY2023 it doesn't look like Ford will have more than the Mach-E. Or, go with the original plan and give its new all-electric a one-off model name and try to push sales and get attention with the argument, "see, we've got one too!" I think it is pretty obvious that this vehicle is getting more attention due to its Mustang connection. Now, it will just have to live up to that connection. If it does, it will push the Mustang name to new heights. If it doesn't, it could do real damage to the (now) sub-brand.

• Like 2

The alternative is to do nothing and let it fade away as sales follow Camaro down into the deck - now there’s an abject lesson 

i say keep the ICE car going and add the BEV and let’s see who’s up for it, you might find another audience / buyer group domestically and internationally, Europe China and ROW.

56 minutes ago, novanglus said:

With all of the Tesla bashing going on, it is good for all of us to remember how much this brash new American car company has changed the automotive landscape, making electric cars seen as desirable and cool, and has built vehicles with the performance that the technology always had the potential to deliver. There would be no Mustang Mach-E without Tesla. And yes, Tesla's buying experience has some real advantages and the BEV power train has the inherent potential to be more reliable. But honestly, Tesla, as a spanking new company without any experience building automobilies, had a very rocky start -- with continuing problems -- in initial quality and reliability (the reasons Consumer Reports withdrew their recommend to buy from the Model 3). This may improve once the big China facility comes on line and Tesla gets more manufacturing experience here in the United States.  But perhaps worst, its parts delivery, repair/servicing, and body shop model has produced industry-leading problems and delays. Tesla is working hard to improve this, and in the last couple of quarters it does seem that parts are a more available and repair/servicing wait times have modestly improved, but it is unclear whether its current model is all that scalable. And Tesla still has to figure out how to make a profit. I hope they do, because I like the fact that North America once again has a Big 3.

Edited by Gurgeh
  • Like 3

33 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

Shouldn’t that be Mock E......LOL LOL ? 

Regional accent, being from Miami it would be Mackey over Mockey, now I live in Mickey World, hmm a Mackey for Mickey...although I believe Disney has an agreement with GM because that's all I see at their amusement parks...