Ford Mustang Mach E World Premiere Nov 17 9PM EST

16 minutes ago, ANTAUS said:

Regional accent, being from Miami it would be Mackey over Mockey, now I live in Mickey World, hmm a Mackey for Mickey...although I believe Disney has an agreement with GM because that's all I see at their amusement parks...

If one can accept that Ford know how to pronounce their own vehicle's name, watch this video and listen: https://www.detroitnews.com/videos/business/autos/ford/2019/11/14/what-is-mach/4187699002/

Edited by Harley Lover

I think the vast majority of people, especially EV buyers, do not care about the mustang name or have ever even thought about purchasing the current mustang. This is why it doesn’t make sense to me to tie these cars together. You aren’t gaining anything and you are pissing off your most loyal customers. EV buyers like the tech and fuel efficiency. They like the performance too but I bet that’s a far smaller subgroup. I’d like to see the take rate on the “insane mode” or whatever Tesla calls it. I bet most Tesla’s don’t come with it.

On a side note, I think Ford Falcon would have been a good choice. You could still use the “inspired by mustang” tag line since the falcon and mustang were related back in the days, plus falcon just sounds cool.

3 minutes ago, T-dubz said:

I think the vast majority of people, especially EV buyers, do not care about the mustang name or have ever even thought about purchasing the current mustang. This is why it doesn’t make sense to me to tie these cars together. You aren’t gaining anything and you are pissing off your most loyal customers. EV buyers like the tech and fuel efficiency. They like the performance too but I bet that’s a far smaller subgroup. I’d like to see the take rate on the “insane mode” or whatever Tesla calls it. I bet most Tesla’s don’t come with it.

On a side note, I think Ford Falcon would have been a good choice. You could still use the “inspired by mustang” tag line since the falcon and mustang were related back in the days, plus falcon just sounds cool.

...you have to realize that just about every Tesla is as fast or faster than a Mustang GT.  You don’t need ludicrous mode.  A guy ran a 2.998 yesterday with a Model 3 Performance like mine, after the new software update.  And that is the $57k Model 3, not the $100,000 Model S.  A regular non-performance AWD LR runs about 4.1s to 60/12.3-115mph qtr.  Teslas are quick.

In a side note, I believe the 3P has more performance available, but Tesla is just being careful rolling it out a bit at a time to test against battery degradation and motor response, since all Teslas send data back to the mothership.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, novanglus said:

...been waiting 3 months on a windshield for my Fiat 500e that was going to be a trade in on my M3P.  Last due date promised was Dec 5th.  I have over $5k sitting around doing nothing but waiting on an acoustic glass windshield.  So, parts and repairs issues happen in every brand.  Ask anyone with a Fiesta/Focus DCT issue about it.  The dealer model doesn’t guarantee a better experience.

I wouldn't use Fiat as proof that "conventional" manufacturers have serious problems with parts and service. There are several reasons why the brand never gained any traction in this country, and is going away, and you've highlighted one of them.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, T-dubz said:

Totally agree, stupid decision with no benefit to either vehicle.  Mustang inspired is fine but calling it a Mustang has no benefit, again to "either" vehicle. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, coupe3w said:

This is worst than the Pinto inspired Mustang II.

Did Mustang II do 0-60 in 3.5 seconds?  This is going to have as much if not better performance than the mustang coupe.   That's why it makes sense.   If it didn't have the performance I think it would be a different story.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, coupe3w said:

This is worst than the Pinto inspired Mustang II.

Did Mustang II do 0-60 in 3.5 seconds?  This is going to have as much if not better performance than the mustang coupe.   That's why it makes sense.   If it didn't have the performance I think it would be a different story.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, tzach said:

Totally agree, stupid decision with no benefit to either vehicle.  Mustang inspired is fine but calling it a Mustang has no benefit, again to "either" vehicle. 

I disagree.  Ford will get much more discussion generated for both models by calling them Mustangs.  This makes marketing cheaper and easier so it should help sales of both.

• Like 5

Forget saving the planet: Ford, Tesla and others tout monster horsepower, high performance in EVs

"One of the most highly-anticipated debuts of the LA Auto Show is the global unveiling of Ford Motor’s “Mustang-inspired” SUV, which is expected to be called the “Mach-E.”

"The name as well as the affiliation to Ford’s iconic Mustang pony car is setting the bar high for the automaker’s second-attempt at an EV in the past decade. The first was a version of its Focus compact sedan, which debuted in 2011 to meet government mandates. Ford sold less than 10,000 units in seven years.

"The expected Mach E name is a play on the Mustang Mach 1, a renowned performance model of the iconic pony car. 'It plays right into the history of Tesla’s kind of success. Not just to make an EV but to make a compelling, engaging SUV that makes you want to drive it not just to save the planet but because it’s fun to drive and it looks good,' Brauer said."

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/11/13/ford-to-tesla-tout-monster-horsepower-speed-in-high-performance-evs.html

As a Mustang owner and enthusiast, I really don't care what they call this....uh....thing.    It sort of reminds me of when Ford plastered the Cobra name on everything from Torinos to Mustangs or when Mercury used the Cougar and/or Capri name on various vehicles.     We Mustang owners know what a Mustang is.

I understand why Ford is doing this. Ford is now getting far more advance publicity than it would have by simply building a Tesla competitor with a blue oval on the front.

From what I've seen, the demographic that buys Mustangs is aging. This puts the Mustang nameplate in front of a new group of buyers.

For me, a bigger concern with the current Mustang is that it is too big and expensive for many buyers.

• Like 1

It's important to remember...

Mustang is still an aspirational car, but not nearly on the same scale that it once was. 

Using this vehicle to further flesh out the Mustang brand broadens the aspirational appeal of the brand tenfold. 

I'll keep saying it: The vehicle has earned the name. Just wait. 

• Like 8

8 minutes ago, coupe3w said:

That's exactly what they should have done.

And how many of those do you think they could have sold?  A few dozen?  Tesla stopped selling the Roadster and switched to 4 doors because that's the only way to get any kind of reasonable volume.   They can add the coupe later.

• Like 1