Ford Mustang Mach E World Premiere Nov 17 9PM EST

13 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

Background,

Last week on BON, I was told Americans pronounced Mach as Mock because that’s what Chuck Yaegar said. Being from a British  commonwealth country, I’ve always called it Mack

but what would we know we pronounce 

Camaro as Com-ah-rho which bugs the

crap out of a friend from Georgia

Do you also say aluminum wrong too? I kid 

• Haha 1

Deposits Sunday for delivery when? Any ideas?  I’m on a five year car payment rotation. Flex has one more year (still paying on Edge - keep cars 10 years) before I was planning on replacing it,  but this will be very tempting. (And I’m planning on going to three cars [keep the Flex] anyway.)

Just have to convince the wife...

Edited by sullynd

The Edge is substantially larger than Mach E.  I don't know the official dimensions, but it looks bigger than it actually is.  Based on what I've seen, I think it's probably smaller than the Model Y,  but that's conjecture until I see official dimensions.   It's about the size of an Escape but with a longer wheelbase pushed further out and bulkier bodywork.  Ford has always described it as a "small" utility.  Because of the long wheelbase architecture, it doesn't really look compact however and gives some length to the interior.   The battery pack under the floor also means it sits more like a car than a Crossover because the floor is higher. It's a little hard to relate to existing cars, the dimension specs are key.  My guess is a few inches longer than Escape overall, the interior is likely smaller.  The car puts quite a bit of length in the front-end which gives it better proportions, even if it's something of an anachronism in a BEV.  

Edited by Assimilator
  • Like 2

All I will say is that the Mach E started life as a C-Max replacement called the C-EV, and was restyled and branded as a Mustang very late in life by Hackett and Farley.  So the Mustang connection is mostly skin-deep, although the performance aspect is VERY much there and probably what drove the Mustang tie-up.  The Mach-E GT should clobber the Mustang GT 0-60, but it will cost quite a bit.  I think that's what will change minds ultimately...at least I hope so.

Edited by Assimilator
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, akirby said:

I'm from Georgia and that doesn't bother me nearly as much as what I heard on Wheeler Dealers a couple of weeks ago.   They were working on a Toyota Celica.

We pronounce that SELL-lick-uh.   Apparently the brits pronounce it "Suh-LEE-cuh" with emphasis on the middle syllable.   I almost had to mute the TV.

Luckily we agree on Celica pronunciation

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jcartwright99 said:

Yes, all but the GT500 will bow down to the Mach E in initial acceleration.

Maybe a certain Cawvette too

performance and acceleration of modern hp cars is getting too good for owners 

and dodge was worried about a blown hemi viper, seem so long ago now

Edited by jpd80

40 minutes ago, Assimilator said:

All I will say is that the Mach E started life as a C-Max replacement called the C-EV, and was restyled and branded as a Mustang very late in life by Hackett and Farley.  So the Mustang connection is mostly skin-deep, although the performance aspect is VERY much there and probably what drove the Mustang tie-up.  The Mach-E GT should clobber the Mustang GT 0-60, but it will cost quite a bit.  I think that's what will change minds ultimately...at least I hope so.

I had heard about the redesign but didn’t know it was originally planned to be a cmax replacement. Cmax and a performance vehicle  are very different things. Did they have to reengineer the frame to handle all of the torque?

6 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

How big does it have to be? The 2019 Mustang is .5 inch longer then a 1969 Mustang at 188.3 inches. A Civic is 177 to 183 inches long and that is considered a "small" car in the US at least.

All cars are freaking expensive....a base model Ecoboost Mustang is still less then the average price of a new vehicle bought in 2019. 

A Civic is no longer a subcompact. A slight downsizing to Civic sedan length would not be a bad idea. Your view may vary.

The "average price of new vehicle bought in 2019" is being inflated by people purchasing loaded pickups and SUVs (most likely with lengthy loan terms). Coming in under that figure isn't necessarily synonymous with affordable. The Mustangs I see on the local dealer's lot aren't exactly low-price vehicles. And they aren't all loaded V-8s.

6 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

How big does it have to be? The 2019 Mustang is .5 inch longer then a 1969 Mustang at 188.3 inches. A Civic is 177 to 183 inches long and that is considered a "small" car in the US at least.

All cars are freaking expensive....a base model Ecoboost Mustang is still less then the average price of a new vehicle bought in 2019. 

My 2 cents on this. I was happy when I bought a mustang in 2005 for the price of a Focus and it was nicely equipped too. Ford was selling them as fast as they could make it, wouldn't budge on the sticker price and admitted the car made a good profit.

Sure, the auto rags made fun of the "cheap" interior, but it at least looked good. The same car mags put it on top in many comparison tests despite this. Now they make a Mustang that is priced out of the hands of the people who bought it, and competing with BMW with a coupe is a dumb idea because people who want a BMW will get one anyway. Of course there is competition now so the pricing isn't the whole reason for the sales dropping to half of what it was in 2005, but it's funny that the one that gained the most ground (Challenger) is the one with a cheap interior that people rightly or wrongly believe gives them the best bang for the buck.

• Like 1