Ford Mustang Mach E World Premiere Nov 17 9PM EST

37 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Ignorance is bliss and that guy is clearly happy in his own little world

don't feed the troll

Actually, your new Flex versus old Focus would make an interesting weekly fuel use comparo.

Edited by jpd80

Electrik, a big Tesla-booster site, does a comparison of Tesla Model Y vs. Mustang Mach-E. They are fairly impressed with Ford's offering and identify the Y's big advantage as the Tesla charging network and better charging speeds (they are withholding judgment on tech, though they note Tesla's tech will be hard to beat) and the Mach-E's big advantage being in price, as Ford will still have access to the full $7,500 tax credit. Personally, I would give the Mach-E another big advantage: a likely much better servicing, parts, and repair experience, as Tesla's post-sale model is deeply flawed and can't really scale well. Otherwise, the two still-in-flux vehicles stack up pretty closely given what we currently think we know. Their bottom line:

"I am very excited about this. I think it will create some great competition. Similar to what the Porsche Taycan is doing to the Model S now, I think the Mach-E will do to the Model Y.

It’s going to keep Tesla on its toes and push the program further.

At this point, it’s clear to me that the Ford Mustang Mach-E will do great in terms of sales based on the specs and price.

We need to keep in mind that Ford still has access to the full $7,500 federal tax credit for electric vehicles, while Tesla buyers won’t have access to any of it by the time the Model Y comes to market.

I don’t think that’s fair, but it is what it is right now.

Tesla’s Supercharger network, Autopilot, and user interface are still extremely hard to beat in my opinion, but I know that many people are going to go for the Mach-E.

As for the Mach-E, we need to see it in person and drive it, but it’s looking good so far."

https://electrek.co/2019/11/15/tesla-model-y-vs-ford-mustang-mach-e-specs-comparison/

Edited by Gurgeh
  • Like 1

There is a ton of hate for the decision to call this a Mustang. I think it’s natural and brilliant. 

This is the second or third time Ford has really rolled the dice with one of their icons. 

The first time was EcoBoost V6’s in the F150. 

The second was to build the F150’s and now the whole F series line to 550 out of aluminum. 

Taking the Mustang name into the future with gusto is a ballsy move and I think this will be the hit of 2020 and beyond. Might even throw shade on the C8 Corvette. 

• Like 2

Goodness, this thread got long since I last checked.  Just saw some things way back there I wanted to address.

The Mach E does not have available leather, instead it uses their ActiveX seating surfaces in Black or Space Gray with a variety of accents in the upper trims. Attached is the sheet that explains the break down.

The Mach E does have available heated seats and steering wheel, it's available with the "Comfort Package" on Select and up.  It does have Perforated ActiveX seats in some trim levels so I'm hoping cooling is just an oversight in the options list.  I also don't see mention of an electrically adjustable steering wheel which Tesla does offer across the board.  Ford is using their cheaper C-segment steering wheel so I would be surprised if it was motorized.  I think that Steering wheel is by far the biggest over-site in the cars interior, it's terrible. 

The Model Y has a slightly bigger cargo area, but it's actually very close.  

SCREEN-SHOT-2019-11-14-AT-7_55.49-PM.thumb.jpeg.63f0b5b22cae9a3fa48beaf4a401b4e6.jpeg

Edited by Assimilator
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Bellanca said:

Maybe it’s been said but will there be a Lincoln variant of the Mach E? I know they announced a BEV but I thought that was separate from this?

I'm trying to follow this closely, as I have 2 and a half years left on my Nautilus lease and am thinking through whether to replace it with the redesigned Nautilus (which should be coming out around then) or the promised Lincoln BEV crossover of about the same size.

All Lincoln has said, as far as I could find, is that they will have their first BEV out within the next couple or three years. I believe it will be designed in parallel to the next-up Ford BEV, a larger Edge-sized crossover also to come out as a MY2023.

Some brand champions on a Lincoln page I follow (Everything Lincoln) swear they have heard that there was a Lincoln take on the Mach-3 coming out earlier, but I think there is confusion over what it means to be based on the Mach-E architecture, as the upcoming Edge-sized Ford crossover itself will draw from this architecture.  I think.

But there is still talk about something based on the Riven platform. Any electrics based on the VW platform, I believe, is Europe only.

Edited by Gurgeh
Grammar
  • Like 1

Lincoln does not  have a version of this car in development, but they are co-developing a larger premium utility BEV with Ford to be released in 2023.  The Rivian investment is also tied to Lincoln, but that happened well after the larger BEVs were in development so I'm not sure what's happening there.  

Edited by Assimilator
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Remember us having this conversation a little over a decade ago when they used the Charger name on a four door?  (Not to point fingers, but some people defending the Mustang naming now were detractors back then). 

It’ll be fine. If the car has the performance and basic essence of a Mustang, people will embrace it. We can’t stick to the boxed-in view of what a performance car is anymore regardless of the number of doors or what power plant propels it. 

I just hope it looks good in person. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Also I’m thinking that if they had called it Fusion or Taurus or Thunderbird and this BEV out performed several versions of the ICE Mustang that would have led to problems.  

42 minutes ago, Anthony said:

Remember us having this conversation a little over a decade ago when they used the Charger name on a four door?  (Not to point fingers, but some people defending the Mustang naming now were detractors back then). 

It’ll be fine. If the car has the performance and basic essence of a Mustang, people will embrace it. We can’t stick to the boxed-in view of what a performance car is anymore regardless of the number of doors or what power plant propels it. 

I just hope it looks good in person. 

17 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

For as long as there's a member of the Ford family on the executive board

Given that they allowed this move, I think your faith is misplaced.  For all we know they've already acceded to the death of the real Mustang and this is a move to keep the brand alive.  If Ford can't make money on cars that sell 200k units when they're competitive then they're not going to make money selling 50k Mustangs which is where they're going to be once they've sucked the value out of the brand.

1 hour ago, Assimilator said:

Lincoln does not  have a version of this car in development, but they are co-developing a larger premium utility BEV with Ford to be released in 2023.  The Rivian investment is also tied to Lincoln, but that happened well after the larger BEVs were in development so I'm not sure what's happening there.  

Some of this is wrong. The next Ford/Lincoln  Bevs are a 23MY, so it will be released in 2022. Also it will be using the 2nd gen of the Mach E platform. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Roland said:

Given that they allowed this move, I think your faith is misplaced.  For all we know they've already acceded to the death of the real Mustang and this is a move to keep the brand alive.  If Ford can't make money on cars that sell 200k units when they're competitive then they're not going to make money selling 50k Mustangs which is where they're going to be once they've sucked the value out of the brand.

I work for the company. I talk to people all the time. Mustang as we know it isn't going anywhere. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I work for the company. I talk to people all the time. Mustang as we know it isn't going anywhere. 

Yeah,  I've talked to lots of guys like that.  They probably believe it.  It may even be true.  And then one day they're in a meeting and someone has run the numbers and it's not.

It's tough for all of us.  Sorry, there was just nothing we could do.  I mean, we've still got a Mustang, right?   And what's the point of a halo car for a company that doesn't make cars anyway.

Sorry, any faith you're putting in Ford's current leadership is sadly misplaced.

• Like 1

My theory is that the Lincoln BEV will be a successor to Continental and wearing that name.  I could imagine an ultra-posh high-tech flagship wearing that badge in a sleek low profile crossover with coach doors.  Unless that's where Rivian comes in and this is just a conventional BEV utility.  The 2023 timing would lineup with the Continental's EOL.

Edited by Assimilator
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Roland said:

Yeah,  I've talked to lots of guys like that.  They probably believe it.  It may even be true.  And then one day they're in a meeting and someone has run the numbers and it's not.

It's tough for all of us.  Sorry, there was just nothing we could do.  I mean, we've still got a Mustang, right?   And what's the point of a halo car for a company that doesn't make cars anyway.

Sorry, any faith you're putting in Ford's current leadership is sadly misplaced.

B9013C66-6C43-4592-9DF9-6BA68BD542B0.jpeg

• Haha 4

30 minutes ago, Roland said:

Mustang isn't a halo car

try again

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, averagengineer said:

Some of this is wrong. The next Ford/Lincoln  Bevs are a 23MY, so it will be released in 2022. Also it will be using the 2nd gen of the Mach E platform. 

The claim of "wrong" needs a little qualification as I suspect that there's very little carryover from the two projects. Ford loves to use terms like "Architecture" to group certain projects together that may or may not be directly related.

As such,

I'd be curious to know just how much carryover exists between the original Mach E design/engineering architecture that was begun in 2015 and the next generation mid sized BEV Crossovers started in 2018. The rate of advance with BEV tech and even other  electrical and infotainment systems means that most things will be changed.

So an observer  following these events might easily conclude that the new mid sized BEVs are derivatives of the Mach E' which I doubt is true but, developed as an evolution by the same engineering group with common supplier and assembly processes?

You bet.

Edited by jpd80