Ford Mustang Mach E World Premiere Nov 17 9PM EST

Same wheels in both photos.  I hope the black plastic is the entry level car.  Not sure what the purpose of the black plastic wheel arch trim serves on an electric vehicle?  Other than cost savings; because it certainly doesn’t help the appearance.  

Edited by 02MustangGT

I think is best to seek comments from here on out what tesla owners think...most importantly how many tesla owners are willing to trade in there tesla for the mach 3...it not terrible in my eye (prius can pound sand) but they should have added an egg crate grill and dumped that hideous black plastic wheel arch moulding...but i suspect with current ford marketing practices that would require a $5000 additional package...also the walmart lcd console screen should not have been the 55inch model...finally. that is not a mustang....

The rear looks stunted (maverick)..much more than the neighbor girl's mustang who drive me to skol in her 1981 hatch ....they did what they could do with the proportions due to parameters they were required to work with...basically they (marketing buffons who currently work at ford) wanted the range (rightly so) so u gotta keep the weight down...honestly, an egg crate grill and tone down the walmrat 55inch interior lcd and it would enhance the look...change a few things and it would be a nice maverick or pinto circa 2020...far better than i thought but that dam thing is modeled right off a 71 maverick..

Edited by snooter

4 hours ago, jpd80 said:

The claim of "wrong" needs a little qualification as I suspect that there's very little carryover from the two projects. Ford loves to use terms like "Architecture" to group certain projects together that may or may not be directly related.

As such,

I'd be curious to know just how much carryover exists between the original Mach E design/engineering architecture that was begun in 2015 and the next generation mid sized BEV Crossovers started in 2018. The rate of advance with BEV tech and even other  electrical and infotainment systems means that most things will be changed.

So an observer  following these events might easily conclude that the new mid sized BEVs are derivatives of the Mach E' which I doubt is true but, developed as an evolution by the same engineering group with common supplier and assembly processes?

You bet.

To be clear, ford has a EV platform/architecture wich i think is code named "blackbird". Mae ch E uses gen1. The next two bevs use gen 2 which will share almost nothing with gen 1. Gen2 is more scalable, efficient, flexible, and some other benefits.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, snooter said:

I think is best to seek comments from here on out what tesla owners think...most importantly how many tesla owners are willing to trade in there tesla for the mach 3...it not terrible in my eye (prius can pound sand) but they should have added an egg crate grill and dumped that hideous black plastic wheel arch moulding...but i suspect with current ford marketing practices that would require a $5000 additional package...also the walmart lcd console screen should not have been the 55inch model...finally. that is not a mustang....

This is the dumbest comment ive read on these forums by far. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, averagengineer said:

To be clear, ford has a EV platform/architecture wich i think is code named "blackbird". Mae ch E uses gen1. The next two bevs use gen 2 which will share almost nothing with gen 1. Gen2 is more scalable, efficient, flexible, and some other benefits.

Thank you for confirming that,

Mach E began life in a different time as a different vehicle with a different mission

so let's hope that Ford now has clearer vision of what it wants from the next generation BEVs.

1 minute ago, averagengineer said:

This is the dumbest comment ive read on these forums by far. 

Please don't encourage him.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, akirby said:

Overreact much with that last statement?  Do you really think this will impact mustang coupe sales in any way?  I don’t.

As for Panamera I was obviously referring to styling.  There is no mistaking the 911 front and rear,

As for trading on the Porsche brand, that’s EXACTLY what a Ford is doing with their mustang brand.  They’re bringing mustang performance and brand values to a new type of vehicle.  It may have 4 doors but it’s faster than a mustang and probably handles better.   It’s the same proposition as Porsche and will be just as successful.  A real mustang fan would not be offended in the least.  

I guess we’ll here the same thing when the baby Bronco appears since it will be smaller and unibody and fwd based.  Oh the horror!

Again, sharing a styling language isn't a problem.  The fact that Porsche has one of the most distinct styling languages across their entire line doesn't make a Panamera a "4 door 911".

911 owners have always known lesser models that closely shared their styling or heavily used their styling queues.  This is an imagined issue by people who think the Panamera is a "four door 911". For decades 911 owners have happily parked next to thousands of lesser cars that share their Porsche badge - but never their 911 badge.   They did have an issue with Porsche making something other than sports models.  Porsche handled brilliantly by trading on the brand values of their Make and not the brand name of their Models. 

Obviously we're not going to agree on this, so I won't belabor it any further.  Time will tell.

13 hours ago, akirby said:

They didn’t have to market it that way.  One look and you knew it was a 4 door version of a 911.

And that last statement is not true.  Ford wasn’t going to add a fwd coupe branded mustang - they were going to REPLACE it altogether.  If they were replacing current mustang with Mach-E I would agree but they’re not so it’s a terrible analogy.

As for panties in a wad, look in the mirror.  There is no logical reason to be upset about this.

Whether you agree with that analogy or not, you can't pretend that this reaction is new or unexpected.  There are many instances through the years of Mustang loyalists defending the brand.  When Ford first teased the "Mach 1" name for this vehicle the outcry was loud and immediate.   John Clor  of Ford Performance told MCA members that Ford had heard Mustang enthusiasts loud and clear.   John Clor in Mustang Times over a year ago:

image.png.780578ae3454582a4260f268b958ff38.png

They threw us a bone with the Mach E name, smiled in our faces, and stabbed us in the back.

Logical?   Of course it's not logical.  Brand loyalty to a particular brand is not logical, it's about passion.  I guess I should be happy that Ford is trying to be make it easy for me to forget that passion, be logical, and go buy something else.

On 11/15/2019 at 2:52 PM, silvrsvt said:

Meanwhile on Facebook....

machE.thumb.PNG.578ff2a26071c6bfb53b0f9d0a2c14f7.PNG

Any ideas?

On 11/15/2019 at 3:18 PM, jpd80 said:

Just a thought,

The other real Mustang, a hybrid Coyote shown side by side with the new Mach E

I think that Ford needs to do the two releases together to reinforce the Mustang Link.

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe we'll see the 2021 Mustang hybrid with 5.0 V8. Maybe it will be called Mach 1... to slot in above GT.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, akirby said:

The sad part is people like Roland would probably prefer that.  Just kill the name and let it live on as a distant fond memory never to be sold again.  Now that would be abject stupidity.

Why would not putting the name on an SUV kill it?   You guys have been arguing that the real Mustang isn't going away and that this won't impact it at all.  Now you're saying that if Ford doesn't put the Mustang name on an electric mom van that it's going to end up a distant memory?  Can you at least keep your story straight?

Look, BEVs don't bother me - that has nothing to do with it.  I'd be thrilled if the Mustang Mach E were a proper electric pony car.  That would have been a perfect opportunity to Ford to showcase their technology and beat Tesla to the punch at something.  Instead they decided to build this Tesla Model Y copycat and they figure they can just slap tri-bar tail lights and a Mustang brand on it to tart it up.  It makes it painfully obvious that they're desperate and grasping.  You'd think that the roles between them and Tesla were reversed.

But I suppose in a way they are.  Tesla is living in an investor fantasy world where profits can forever wait for tomorrow while Ford must deliver results now.  But if Ford's auto experience were the advantage over Tesla that they claim they could have built them on the same platform, launched the Mustang then quickly teased and followed up with the mom van.  But of course that won't do because Ford is now run by bean counters now and it's much cheaper to just slap a Mustang badge on the mom van.

Ok, sorry to have disrupted the Jim Hackett School of Short Sighted Management and Brand Destruction Fan Club with the petty concerns of someone who evidently cares too much about the Mustang and it's maker.  Ford is working to cure that.  I won't keep disrupting your big launch party.

• Like 1

I look with interest as to how the car is received by the wider audience and in the next few days,

Ford will receive plenty of feedback on this vehicle. As I see it, there's no middle ground with

calling it the Mustang Mach E, you'll either love the idea or hate it with a passion.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

While I have greatly appreciated the theatrical commentary at times it may be best to post up a brief summation of the last 24 hours. Considering we now have much cleaner photos from Detroit Steel Tubing (sorry, wrong era) its probably apropos in light of new facts/information revelation(s) on the Mach 3 .

A. The Mustang is not a Halo Car - painfully obvious.

B. EV Gen 1 archetecture used and not the more advanced system which is being placed at some undetermined point on other models. Truly, that is one fanciful decision from Ford but see point A above. Might have been better to push the Gen 1 system on the Eco Sport first and nobody would have cared but put an already possibly antiquated system on a car intended to keep Mustang nameplate alive into the next decade?

C. We all want Ford to produce world class cars/trucks but dam, that company at times seems to not want success.

D. Roland is right you know. I get it where he is coming from and he is not alone. I hope like hell what we have seen are simply teasers to final product. No way in heck what we have seen respects the lineage of the Mustang.

I can't read what it says on the rear hatch, it says mache4x on the side.  It has a pony on the grill and steering wheel but don't see Mustang anywhere. I wonder if even though the official name is Mustang mach e they are hedging their bet by not putting it on the car itself.  Or like on the actual Mustang the pony says it all and there is no need to spell it out. 

9 minutes ago, Torrey61 said:

Idk I feel like that awful steering wheel is the worst part 

I don’t mind the steering wheel, it’s the same one on all the other SUVs, but if you are building a car that is inspired by a mustang, and the mustang has its own unique steering wheel, why wouldn’t you just slap the mustang steering wheel on the Mach e?

• Like 1