Ford Mustang Mach E World Premiere Nov 17 9PM EST

7 hours ago, Roland said:

Why would not putting the name on an SUV kill it?   You guys have been arguing that the real Mustang isn't going away and that this won't impact it at all.  Now you're saying that if Ford doesn't put the Mustang name on an electric mom van that it's going to end up a distant memory?  Can you at least keep your story straight?

Look, BEVs don't bother me - that has nothing to do with it.  I'd be thrilled if the Mustang Mach E were a proper electric pony car.  That would have been a perfect opportunity to Ford to showcase their technology and beat Tesla to the punch at something.  Instead they decided to build this Tesla Model Y copycat and they figure they can just slap tri-bar tail lights and a Mustang brand on it to tart it up.  It makes it painfully obvious that they're desperate and grasping.  You'd think that the roles between them and Tesla were reversed.

But I suppose in a way they are.  Tesla is living in an investor fantasy world where profits can forever wait for tomorrow while Ford must deliver results now.  But if Ford's auto experience were the advantage over Tesla that they claim they could have built them on the same platform, launched the Mustang then quickly teased and followed up with the mom van.  But of course that won't do because Ford is now run by bean counters now and it's much cheaper to just slap a Mustang badge on the mom van.

Ok, sorry to have disrupted the Jim Hackett School of Short Sighted Management and Brand Destruction Fan Club with the petty concerns of someone who evidently cares too much about the Mustang and it's maker.  Ford is working to cure that.  I won't keep disrupting your big launch party.

The fact that you keep calling it a SUV mom van says it all.

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Harley Lover said:

Isn't that a large dial forward of, and slightly below, his right hand? Could that be part of the console?

sure, technically that is probably part of the center console, but I’m talking about the storage bin that you usually find between the seats. This appears to just have a tray with an arm rest above it. It also looks like there is a giant tray below the screen. I prefer storage compartments to trays, but it’s a bit difficult to tell in these pics. I think this design is a bit too minimalist for my liking. It doesn’t really flow with the exterior either. The exterior is somewhat sporty looking and then you have this interior that looks like an appliance. i mean it’s almost the same screen from this fridge ?

stainless-steel-samsung-french-door-refr

• Haha 1

The center console resembles the Model X in many ways, open and low.  The embedded dial is similar to what Land Rover and Jaguar do on their consoles.  They are taking advantage of the missing transmission tunnel in the design.

The only way I think this car legitimizes the Mustang badge is performance, it's quicker than every comparable version of the Mustang besides the exotics...and by a significant margin.

I still think it's an obvious stunt and I would personally feel more comfortable with its own branding, even if I really like the Mustang inspired design elements.  Ford is a little more obsessed with the Mustang than I'm sure is warranted, but it's what gets them motivated.  But I would wait to see now they communicate this and why the car deserves the badge.

I just wish Ford was more clever with the name, Thunderbird would have been a great name to dust off for this because it's iconic and the imagery of lightning helps mentally connect this to what it is.  It certainly couldn't be more controversial than using Mustang, but maybe not.  

A Full Mustang EV is not in the cards yet, instead they are going Hybrid, so in their mind this might help to keep Mustang modern. 

Edited by Assimilator

On 11/15/2019 at 5:52 PM, silvrsvt said:

Meanwhile on Facebook....

machE.thumb.PNG.578ff2a26071c6bfb53b0f9d0a2c14f7.PNG

Any ideas?

What Facebook group was this post made in? My guess would be either new Mustang Coyote Hybrid to make further connection between Mustang and Mach-E or the next generation F-150 in either Hybrid or Electric powertrain setup. Would make a perfect troll for Tesla that will be showing their electric pickup later in the week :)

On 11/15/2019 at 7:36 PM, IMSA-XJR9 said:

I'm also a 928 owner . . . chop 2 doors off of the Pamamera and call it a day!!  Lots of 928 owners waiting for a chopped Pamamera.  Though 928 owners are a minority and don't have as loud of a voice as 911 owners.  (And darn the 944/968 owners!)

Yes, I agree. The shortened Panamera with only 2 doors would make a great modern day 928. In fact, I'm surprised they hadn't done that already.

On 11/15/2019 at 8:40 PM, jpd80 said:

The next Mustang product cycle was a condition that was agreed to by Ford

in the new UAW contract that's just been ratified.

On 11/15/2019 at 9:04 PM, fuzzymoomoo said:

For as long as there's a member of the Ford family on the executive board

Yes, the traditional 2-door Mustang is definitely not going away. Especially after announcement of the Coyote V8 Hybrid coming soon and all the engineering and investment already done for the 2020 Shelby GT500. So this gives me hope for the regular Mustang now that the Mach-E is coming.

On 11/16/2019 at 2:15 AM, akirby said:

And that last statement is not true.  Ford wasn’t going to add a fwd coupe branded mustang - they were going to REPLACE it altogether.  If they were replacing current mustang with Mach-E I would agree but they’re not so it’s a terrible analogy.

That's a very good point. The FWD Mustang that Ford had planned was going to be the Mustang instead of second variant as part of branding. Ford has clearly learned from this and continuing the traditional 2-door layout Mustang but adding the Mach-E to what is now the Mustang family branding. While I was skeptical about this at first, I'm now accepting and excited about this Mustang family, now that the images and info were leaked as well as more info having been revealed the past week. I'm looking forward to tonight.

On 11/16/2019 at 12:41 PM, Stray Kat said:

There is a ton of hate for the decision to call this a Mustang. I think it’s natural and brilliant.

This is the second or third time Ford has really rolled the dice with one of their icons. 

The first time was EcoBoost V6’s in the F150. 

The second was to build the F150’s and now the whole F series line to 550 out of aluminum. 

Taking the Mustang name into the future with gusto is a ballsy move and I think this will be the hit of 2020 and beyond. Might even throw shade on the C8 Corvette.

You have brought up excellent points here. I was one of those who hated the idea of EcoBoost-powered F-150 when it was first announced. I thought it would either cause the F-150 sales lead to decline or the eventual loss of the V8 engine. I was wrong about that. EcoBoost engines now make up more with both the 2.7L and 3.5L than the 5.0L V8. And the V8 is still here. In fact, Ford just came out with literally an all-new 7.3L big block V8 for Super Duty, Medium Duty, and the E-Series Cutaway/Stripped Chassis. I had no problems with aluminum as the main material but I did see many people make beer can jokes only to be surprised at how much sturdier the trucks became with aluminum. Count me in on the bandwagon of those excited about the expansion of Mustang brand which I had been skeptical and not happy about until just yesterday actually. Having seen the leaked pictures and specs along with other info got me to thinking that this is indeed the best way to save the Mustang brand. The traditional 2-door Mustang is here to stay and will soon be updated and then redesigned. It's not going anywhere. The Mach-E will do more to the Mustang in terms of branding and sales as the Wrangler Unlimited did to the traditional 2-door Wrangler which... is still here of course. Which is funny because I also thought the popularity of Unlimited would spell the end of the traditional 2-door Wrangler which is definitely not the case. Oh yeah, I was also one of those who thought death and glory to Ford as leader of police industry when they decided to kill off the Panther trio... but I was wrong about that. In fact, Ford has expanded and now offer even more vehicles for the police industry.

On 11/16/2019 at 1:01 PM, Assimilator said:

The Mach E does not have available leather, instead it uses their ActiveX seating surfaces in Black or Space Gray with a variety of accents in the upper trims. Attached is the sheet that explains the break down. The Mach E does have available heated seats and steering wheel, it's available with the "Comfort Package" on Select and up.  It does have Perforated ActiveX seats in some trim levels so I'm hoping cooling is just an oversight in the options list. 

I actually like the ActiveX seating material so would have no problem at all with this being the seat material, even if leather will never ever be offered. It's comfortable and quite durable.

On 11/16/2019 at 1:31 PM, Anthony said:

Remember us having this conversation a little over a decade ago when they used the Charger name on a four door?  (Not to point fingers, but some people defending the Mustang naming now were detractors back then).

I still don't like idea of Charger sedan though I do see the popularity of it because of that. I do admire and respect the performance and handling of it as well although I'm much more of a Challenger fan due to its traditional 2-door design and how much similar to the classic one it looks. I remember a time before the 21st century Charger when it was actually a 2-door front drive K-Car as well which I still see some driving around here. I highly doubt Ford will go as far as to do Mustang sedan but yes, the Mach-E is a good plan and all will be fine.

On 11/16/2019 at 2:55 PM, fuzzymoomoo said:

I work for the company. I talk to people all the time. Mustang as we know it isn't going anywhere. 

I have always trusted what you said since you work for Ford as well as know insiders. So this pleases me to see you say this. I know Bill Ford is one of Mustang's biggest fans and he'll make sure the 2-door Mustang will continue to live on.

2 hours ago, akirby said:

Is it just me or does that dude look like Edd China?

I thought the same when I saw the photos. I do know that Edd is actually quite tall so thought that was him in the back seat showing how much roomier it is back there. However, having gone back to look at the photos, I'm not sure if it is him. The first photo of him looking at the rear hatch does not look like him in the face even though it's kinda blurry. But does look like him in other photos.

16 minutes ago, pffan1990 said:

I have always trusted what you said since you work for Ford as well as know insiders. So this pleases me to see you say this. I know Bill Ford is one of Mustang's biggest fans and he'll make sure the 2-door Mustang will continue to live on.

Jim Hackett drives one, and I think it's obvious my feelings on him. 

The grille on ICE vehicles provides different colors, textures and materials that make the front more visually appealing as well as adding another design element. Since BEV don’t require a grille, this makes the design more challenging. In my opinion Ford attempted to design the Mach e like an ICE vehicle, meaning it has a relatively flat front like most CUVs. This creates a problem because now you have a relatively large area that’s all the same color. They tried to break this area up with the black line around the grille, but I don’t think it works very well and looks like a mustache. The headlights are the best part of the front, the rest just looks kind of boring as it’s all the same color/material. I think some fog lights and maybe some vents added to the front would help out a lot and would take you attention away from the grille area. I’m guessing this is why Tesla seems to design their vehicles with a hood that slopes down more like Porsche. It makes the area where a grille should be much smaller and thus less awkward when there is no grille. Did we ever figure out what model this was? It seems odd that there are no fog lights.

2021-Mustang-MachE-1.jpg

Edited by T-dubz

7 hours ago, akirby said:

The fact that you keep calling it a SUV mom van says it all.

He is right you know.....no matter how much this matter is discussed ford should not have put that mustang nameplate on there version of the chebby volt...first comment from my wife was "that looks like a camero"

Edited by snooter
  • Thanks 1

The Volt is a hybrid. The Mach E is all electric. You also meant to use the word “their”, which is different from both “there” and “they’re”. 

Their is the possessive pronoun, as in "theircar is red"; there is used as an adjective, "he is always there for me," a noun, "get away from there," and, chiefly, an adverb, "stop right there"; they're is a contraction of "theyare," as in "they're getting married."

https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/how-to-use-theyre-there-their

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, snooter said:

He is right you know.....no matter how much this matter is discussed ford should not have put that mustang nameplate on there version of the chebby volt...first comment from my wife was "that looks like a camero"

Do your wife a favor and take her to the eye doctor this week.  You can get your meds changed while you're waiting.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, T-dubz said:

The grille on ICE vehicles provides different colors, textures and materials that make the front more visually appealing as well as adding another design element. Since BEV don’t require a grille, this makes the design more challenging. In my opinion Ford attempted to design the Mach e like an ICE vehicle, meaning it has a relatively flat front like most CUVs. This creates a problem because now you have a relatively large area that’s all the same color. They tried to break this area up with the black line around the grille, but I don’t think it works very well and looks like a mustache. The headlights are the best part of the front, the rest just looks kind of boring as it’s all the same color/material. I think some fog lights and maybe some vents added to the front would help out a lot and would take you attention away from the grille area. I’m guessing this is why Tesla seems to design their vehicles with a hood that slopes down more like Porsche. It makes the area where a grille should be much smaller and thus less awkward when there is no grille. Did we ever figure out what model this was? It seems odd that there are no fog lights.

2021-Mustang-MachE-1.jpg

I actually really like what they did with the grill area. Maybe someone can Photoshop to see what it would like it if that grille area was blacked out though...

I don’t care so much for the gray plastic in the lower fascia, and the lack of fog lights don’t help, but I do like the overall design of the area.

6 minutes ago, Willwll313wll said:

Has there ever been so many leaks before a big debut like this for Ford? Geesh

Makes me think that if intentional,  it does get the initial hostility out of the way

If the leak was not intentional, well it's not the end of the world because the internet is abuzz.

Edited by jpd80

3 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

Makes me think that if intentional,  it does get the initial hostility out of the way

If the leak was not intentional, well it's not the end of the world because the internet is abuzz.

Id say it’s more likely than not that it was intentional.  Builds more buzz for the actual reveal.

It would be easier to believe it was accidental if it was on a dev site not the production site.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, akirby said:

Id say it’s more likely than not that it was intentional.  Builds more buzz for the actual reveal.

It would be easier to believe it was accidental if it was on a dev site not the production site.

Im kinda leaning that way too. Same thing happened with the Ranger press shots last year, and something else significant in recent years I can't remember at the moment.