Ford Mustang Mach E World Premiere Nov 17 9PM EST

14 minutes ago, 351cid said:

Flame me if you want....

I showed the pictures that ice Capades posted as "Ford's new car" to my wife. Her response was: "I thought they were killing off the Fusion?". Then I explained that it was all electric. Her response: " How many miles per charge and how long to charge?". When I told her 200-300 and several hours she asked "Why anyone would buy that with such a limited range and that long to recharge?".

The I gave her the name Mustang Mach E. Her response: "They picked the wrong horse...should be Pinto Mach E....I should know, I had a Pinto. Boy, Ford offers almost nothing that's appealing to me anymore".

Needless to say; we won't be buying one for her. Now...in defense of her thoughts; she drives 325 miles one way every month to deal with her 84 year old mother's needs. Her mother lives in a retirement home, so there is no access for her to plug up.

BEVs are not yet designed to be vehicles you can drive anywhere, everywhere all the time.   Although it is possible if you're willing to plan your trip around recharging.

The use case for these 99% of these vehicles is charging it overnight at home and driving less than 230 miles per day and having access to an ICE vehicle for longer trips.  That way charging time and public charging access is irrelevant.  I bet that covers at least 95% of potential customers (driving less than 230 miles per day).

This isn't geared towards traditional car buyers so it's not surprising that some people hate it.  That doesn't mean it won't be wildly successful.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, HotRunrGuy said:

Sweet!  My company offers Ford Plan X discount as an employee benefit (we are in the auto industry.)

Reservation #4186.  Going to be sharing a garage with a LR RWD Model 3.  If this car had been out when I ordered my Model 3, I would have bought it instead.

• Like 2

Does this mean anything for the future of ford’s design language for cuvs or is this more of a one off? edge and escape are pretty bland looking now. If the escape was a smaller version of this with a regular engine, I think it’d do pretty well. It wouldn’t need the mustang cues, just the general shape.

6 minutes ago, T-dubz said:

Does this mean anything for the future of ford’s design language for cuvs or is this more of a one off? edge and escape are pretty bland looking now. If the escape was a smaller version of this with a regular engine, I think it’d do pretty well. It wouldn’t need the mustang cues, just the general shape.

Is an Escape smaller than this car?  I used to own an Escape years ago, and I recall that it was pretty roomy.

20 minutes ago, akirby said:

BEVs are not yet designed to be vehicles you can drive anywhere, everywhere all the time.   Although it is possible if you're willing to plan your trip around recharging.

The use case for these 99% of these vehicles is charging it overnight at home and driving less than 230 miles per day and having access to an ICE vehicle for longer trips.  That way charging time and public charging access is irrelevant.  I bet that covers at least 95% of potential customers (driving less than 230 miles per day).

This isn't geared towards traditional car buyers so it's not surprising that some people hate it.  That doesn't mean it won't be wildly successful.

This brings up another series of thoughts on the total electric vehicles.

I believe I read that the charging is equal to running your oven. Right now, there isn't a problem since BEV's are just beginning to surface. My concern for the future (and I realize the sky isn't falling) is the power grid handling a couple hundred thousand of these things charging on a hot summer night when everyone's a/c unit is cranking. To my knowledge and my brother in-law (who works in middle management with a major power company), there aren't any real plans from the power companies in place currently to deal with that kind of demand.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 351cid said:

This brings up another series of thoughts on the total electric vehicles.

I believe I read that the charging is equal to running your oven. Right now, there isn't a problem since BEV's are just beginning to surface. My concern for the future (and I realize the sky isn't falling) is the power grid handling a couple hundred thousand of these things charging on a hot summer night when everyone's a/c unit is cranking. To my knowledge and my brother in-law (who works in middle management with a major power company), there aren't any real plans from the power companies in place currently to deal with that kind of demand.

Welcome to the brave new world of electric vehicles.

• Like 1

Pulled this off the PDF for the MME

Wheelbase 117 
Overall length 186
Overall width 74 
Overall height 63 
Track width, front 64 
Track width, rear 64
Ride height 5.7 
Turn circle 38.1 ft.

So its roughly the size of an Edge, being about 2 inches narrower, its pretty decently sized.

Back in 2017, the MME was rumored to be built at Flat Rock-but thats changed and so far Ford hasn't say anything about were its actually being built-yet.

11 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

Back in 2017, the MME was rumored to be built at Flat Rock-but thats changed and so far Ford hasn't say anything about were its actually being built-yet.

Two years ago, Ford announced that the new electric vehicle would be built in Mexico, not in Flat Rock.

https://money.cnn.com/2017/12/07/news/companies/ford-electric-cars-mexico/index.html

Mind you, Ford seems to change plans every year.....

Edited by jpd80

7 minutes ago, 351cid said:

My concern for the future (and I realize the sky isn't falling) is the power grid handling a couple hundred thousand of these things charging on a hot summer night when everyone's a/c unit is cranking. To my knowledge and my brother in-law (who works in middle management with a major power company), there aren't any real plans from the power companies in place currently to deal with that kind of demand.

Keep in mind that the load for HVAC at night isn't as much as it is during the day-its very rare that the air temp at 11PM is 85 degrees or higher (at least where I live) vs the day time when it can go over 100 in extreme circumstances. 

Power Companies have other routes they can take to help with power consumption overall-I remember about 15-20 years ago them going around and helping small business swap out lighting for more efficient types 

1 minute ago, jpd80 said:

Two years ago, Ford announced that the new electric vehicle would be built in Mexico, not in Flat Rock.

https://money.cnn.com/2017/12/07/news/companies/ford-electric-cars-mexico/index.html

But in January of the same year-they where saying this:

https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/ford/2017/01/03/here-details-fords-electric-vehicle-plan/96109758/

An all-new fully electric small SUV, coming by 2020, engineered to deliver an estimated range of at least 300 miles, to be built at the Flat Rock plant and sold in North America, Europe and Asia.-Mustang Mach E

An autonomous vehicle designed for commercial ride hailing or ride sharing, starting in North America. The hybrid vehicle will debut in 2021 and will be built at the Flat Rock plant.-Who knows

A hybrid version of the F-150 pickup available by 2020, sold in North America and the Middle East and built at Ford’s Dearborn Truck Plant.

A hybrid version of the iconic Mustang will be built at the Flat Rock Plant. It will debut in 2020 and will be available in North America to start.

A Transit Custom plug-in hybrid van available in 2019 in Europe.

Two new, pursuit-rated hybrid police vehicles. One of the two new hybrid police vehicles will be built in Chicago-new Explorer

11 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

Pulled this off the PDF for the MME

Wheelbase 117 
Overall length 186
Overall width 74 
Overall height 63 
Track width, front 64 
Track width, rear 64
Ride height 5.7 
Turn circle 38.1 ft.

So its roughly the size of an Edge, being about 2 inches narrower, its pretty decently sized.

Model 3 dimensions

Wheelbase 113.2"

Length 184.8"

Width 72.8"

Height 56.8"

So is is almost exactly as long and wide but about 6" taller, much of it in higher ride height.

I think MACH E will be very roomy inside... Model 3 with 113" wheelbase has crazy amount of leg room for normal car of this size. MACH E has 4" longer wheelbase so all signs points to a very comfortable cabin. 

5 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

But in January of the same year-they where saying this:

https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/ford/2017/01/03/here-details-fords-electric-vehicle-plan/96109758/

An all-new fully electric small SUV, coming by 2020, engineered to deliver an estimated range of at least 300 miles, to be built at the Flat Rock plant and sold in North America, Europe and Asia.-Mustang Mach E

An autonomous vehicle designed for commercial ride hailing or ride sharing, starting in North America. The hybrid vehicle will debut in 2021 and will be built at the Flat Rock plant.-Who knows

A hybrid version of the F-150 pickup available by 2020, sold in North America and the Middle East and built at Ford’s Dearborn Truck Plant.

A hybrid version of the iconic Mustang will be built at the Flat Rock Plant. It will debut in 2020 and will be available in North America to start.

A Transit Custom plug-in hybrid van available in 2019 in Europe.

Two new, pursuit-rated hybrid police vehicles. One of the two new hybrid police vehicles will be built in Chicago-new Explorer

Yes and by December of that year, it all changed again.

The Autonomous Transits were transferred to hermosillo and Mach E to Cuautitlan

and after that, the two mid sized BEvs were announced for Flat Rock...

and now rumors that Ford thought about closing Flat Rock before approving NG Mustang.

I think there's real issues with upgrading FRAP for new products like the BEVs and wouldn't

be surprised if another announcement comes out next year...

17 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

The Press release

Ah, I didn't see that.

17 hours ago, Assimilator said:

I'm reserved too! 

Screen Shot 2019-11-17 at 10.07.30 PM.png

I'm actually liking this car in white, and I usually find white boring.  So I wonder how the reservation number works - does that mean you're #7,502?

17 hours ago, Assimilator said:

I really like Black too, but the car really pops in white with those black accents and roof.  

Agreed!

15 hours ago, Willwll313wll said:

2021-Ford-Mustang-Mach-E-GT-parked.jpg?f

I want this one.  In the blue.  It's very disappointing that the only real blue option is grabber blue on the First Edition.  I'm assuming/hoping that another blue option will appear on the GT down the road.  It's weird that they'd show the GT in a color that's not available.....I like those wheels too.  I'm assuming we'll see more options show up as the GT become available.

---

I'm actually really liking this thing.  I have a few hang ups, though:

-Blue limited to First Edition (at the moment).  I'd prefer a GT, but I could "suffer" through a First Edition lol.

-Don't know if I'm ready for electric - currently I could, but should I move into a condo coming up (nothing in the works, but it's a possibility), there won't be a place to charge it.

-I've had Bronco in mind for a while......I think it'd be a more practical option right now.

11 minutes ago, bzcat said:

Model 3 dimensions

Wheelbase 113.2"

Length 184.8"

Width 72.8"

Height 56.8"

So is is almost exactly as long and wide but about 6" taller, much of it in higher ride height.

I think MACH E will be very roomy inside... Model 3 with 113" wheelbase has crazy amount of leg room for normal car of this size. MACH E has 4" longer wheelbase so all signs points to a very comfortable cabin. 

Also from the MME pdf that ice-capades posted a few pages ago.

HRG

MME interior specs.JPG

19 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

I want this one.  In the blue.  It's very disappointing that the only real blue option is grabber blue on the First Edition.  I'm assuming/hoping that another blue option will appear on the GT down the road.  It's weird that they'd show the GT in a color that's not available.....I like those wheels too.  I'm assuming we'll see more options show up as the GT become available.

---

I'm actually really liking this thing.  I have a few hang ups, though:

-Blue limited to First Edition (at the moment).  I'd prefer a GT, but I could "suffer" through a First Edition lol.

-Don't know if I'm ready for electric - currently I could, but should I move into a condo coming up (nothing in the works, but it's a possibility), there won't be a place to charge it.

-I've had Bronco in mind for a while......I think it'd be a more practical option right now.

Isn't something called Infinite Blue Metallic Blue?

HRG

blue GT.JPG

Edited by HotRunrGuy

1 hour ago, Deanh said:

well...that's what Tesla stated...ahem....I take that with a huge grain of salt...

518,000 is probably true, Tesla talked about this with investors on a quarterly earnings call.  But as of August, 2107, there were 63,000 cancellations.  Who knows how many have cancelled in the past two years.

29 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

Keep in mind that the load for HVAC at night isn't as much as it is during the day-its very rare that the air temp at 11PM is 85 degrees or higher (at least where I live) vs the day time when it can go over 100 in extreme circumstances. 

Power Companies have other routes they can take to help with power consumption overall-I remember about 15-20 years ago them going around and helping small business swap out lighting for more efficient types 

No offense bud, but I'll take my brother in-law's concerns over your explaination.

His words were "It's a real problem for the near future developing for power supply and as of yet, no one has a viable solution that will be implemented in the short term. Power companies react almost as quickly as the governments do."

8 minutes ago, HotRunrGuy said:

Isn't something called Infinite Blue Metallic Blue?

HRG

blue GT.JPG

Technically yes, it's "blue".  But look at it.   It's nearly gray, and will likely at best be a slate color.

If I'm getting a blue car, I want it to be clearly blue.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, HotRunrGuy said:

Also from the MME pdf that ice-capades posted a few pages ago.

HRG

MME interior specs.JPG

Interesting that specifications have a mix of imperial and metric....

Headroom

- Front...............................38.86"

- Front with pano roof......40.47"

- Rear................................38.26"

- Rear with pano roof.......39.25"

Legroom

- Front...............................41.69"

- Rear................................38.11"

Shoulder room

- Front...............................57.64"

- Rear................................55.87"

Hip Room

- Front................................55.35"

- Rear.................................53.27"

2 hours ago, 351cid said:

Flame me if you want....

I showed the pictures that ice Capades posted as "Ford's new car" to my wife. Her response was: "I thought they were killing off the Fusion?". Then I explained that it was all electric. Her response: " How many miles per charge and how long to charge?". When I told her 200-300 and several hours she asked "Why anyone would buy that with such a limited range and that long to recharge?".

The I gave her the name Mustang Mach E. Her response: "They picked the wrong horse...should be Pinto Mach E....I should know, I had a Pinto. Boy, Ford offers almost nothing that's appealing to me anymore".

Needless to say; we won't be buying one for her. Now...in defense of her thoughts; she drives 325 miles one way every month to deal with her 84 year old mother's needs. Her mother lives in a retirement home, so there is no access for her to plug up.

Everything isnt for everyone ?

1 hour ago, jpd80 said:

Mind you, Ford seems to change plans every year.....

It was Mark Fields that initially announced it would be built in Flat Rock. Since then Hackett and co. have been hell bent on undoing everything Fields did (or in some cases didn't do).