Ford Mustang Mach E World Premiere Nov 17 9PM EST

1 hour ago, akirby said:

Right, because Ford never gets any conquest buyers.

Ford marketing executives may say stuff about trying to get conquest buyers. But they know practically speaking the ideal customers for Mustang Mach-E are people who already own a Ford product. Especially Focus EV, Fusion Energi, and C-Max Energi but also Mustang and Ford trucks/SUVs.

13 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

Ford marketing executives may say stuff about trying to get conquest buyers. But they know practically speaking the ideal customers for Mustang Mach-E are people who already own a Ford product. Especially Focus EV, Fusion Energi, and C-Max Energi but also Mustang and Ford trucks/SUVs.

That's true for any volume mfr especially when you sell 2M vehicles per year.   But with unique BEVs like Mach-E and F150 you're also attracting new buyers who want a BEV but don't want a Tesla.  Same for Rivian and other mfrs.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rperez817 said:

Honestly, I don't think this is the car that C-Max Energi buyers will want to replace their rolling toaster (no disrespect... I quite like the C-Max) and Ford knows it.

They are deliberately trying to market to a different demographic, which is why this car is called Mustang MACH E, not Ford C-Max Sportback or something like that.

The article posted in the other thread basically explain it: 

"Let's take out everything that leans green," Castriota said. "Let's see who this customer really is."

Instead, they visualized a forward-looking, tech-positive progressive with a "growth mindset." The descriptors matched the type of buyer for Ford's iconic pony car.

"This was a major, watershed moment," Castriota said. "We found Ford BEV customers were very, very like Mustang customers. We decided it's got to be Mustang-inspired. We own Mustang."

Ford is really going after conquest buyers with this car because the they know if this car was marketed as a Ford XYZ, it will only appeal to brand loyalist.  Going with the Mustang name is a clear signal that they intend to conquest buyers from other brands because the Mustang name has wide appeal with all demographic group. 

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

Looks pretty sharp in the real world. I like how the back roof line looks more sloped then it actually is. 

It does look good in those photos.

Interesting though, I don't remember seeing the two tone option in the preorder section ?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, akirby said:

Nobody said Ford’s tech is better than Tesla.  At best it’s very similar.  The important thing is range and performance and that’s been advertised.  Ford BEVs aren’t targeting Tesla loyalists - they’re targeting the other 16M+ people who buy vehicles every year.

I think an electric F150 that still looks and functions like a F150 including all of the functionality that truck buyers expect will be far more successful long term than a cartoonish cybertruck.  

...the problem is physics.  You can’t get away with building current style trucks and get reasonable range.  There will be a price for normalcy and customers will be forced to choose between form and function.

Edited by novanglus

9 hours ago, akirby said:

There is a reason why model Y is $2500 non refundable and cybertruck is $100 refundable.

...all the production models but the Y have a $100 non-refundable order fee, down from the $1000 refundable deposit.

Also note that the $2500 Model Y fee is refundable.  From the website-

Due Today          $2,500

Fully refundable”
Edited by novanglus
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

As I posted on Cybertruck thread, there are multiple reports of preorders getting charged a few times to buyers. 

..yeah, but when Elon tweeted about it going over 200k, someone asked if they had filtered out the multi- order mistakes and he replied “Yes.”  Whether that is true of not, I can’t say, but that was asked about the number.

Edited by novanglus

9 hours ago, rperez817 said:

...I have an order in solely because I want Ford to succeed here.  I could get the wife a Y and I have a deposit of the Cybertruck, but Ford needs my support, so she’ll get a Mach.  And, honestly, she probably like it better.  It’s a little less gadget-y.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, novanglus said:

...the problem is physics.  You can’t get away with building current style trucks and get reasonable range.  There will be a price for normalcy and customers will be forced to choose between form and function.

You are way too logical but i have hope for you...to understand the cult one has to understand when mommy told them she sprinkled magical fairy dust on their cheeto's they believed it...

44 minutes ago, novanglus said:

...I have an order in solely because I want Ford to succeed here.  I could get the wife a Y and I have a deposit of the Cybertruck, but Ford needs my support, so she’ll get a Mach.  And, honestly, she probably like it better.  It’s a little less gadget-y.

Test driving the Tesla,  my take to the sales man was "This is a great car for people who hate driving"...all he did was show me all the toys and how it drove itself.  And there I am noticing wind noise at 50MPH over my head, which was inches from the sunvisor...a  sunvisor which felt chitzy as an Ipad cover in a GM product. A/C that never blew COLD air (I live in FL). Doors that sounded tinzy when closing. An armrest that belonged in a Yugo. But yes, he did point out all the gadgets. I countered with "My leather seats have cold air" and "I can change the lighting colors in my vehicle, can you ?" LOL

24 minutes ago, ANTAUS said:

Test driving the Tesla,  my take to the sales man was "This is a great car for people who hate driving"...all he did was show me all the toys and how it drove itself.  And there I am noticing wind noise at 50MPH over my head, which was inches from the sunvisor...a  sunvisor which felt chitzy as an Ipad cover in a GM product. A/C that never blew COLD air (I live in FL). Doors that sounded tinzy when closing. An armrest that belonged in a Yugo. But yes, he did point out all the gadgets. I countered with "My leather seats have cold air" and "I can change the lighting colors in my vehicle, can you ?" LOL

Really? In every test drive of a Tesla that I've ever read, the author always raves about the performance and handling. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, AGR said:

In every test drive of a Tesla that I've ever read, the author always raves about the performance and handling. 

I agree AGR sir. My Model S does a better job combining comfort, agility, speed, efficiency, and practicality than any other car I've ever experienced. It's simply a great car.

It's hard to get around the fact that Model 3 and Model Y don't have the luxuries of other cars, but the driving experience is typically very positive for a number of reasons. Driving without a transmission makes such a huge difference,  torque is smooth and responsive without the need to feather the transmission or throttle to ensure smooth performance.  The engine isn't constantly reminding you that it's working hard.   It's really quite a nice luxurious experience on its own and you quickly understand why this is better and the only way forward.  Tesla certainly isn't the only one that can do this, imagine what a Lincoln BEV can do, it's really the only way to achieve MAXIMUM Lincoln.  Lincoln and Ford can certainly nail the sound isolation that Tesla seems to fall short on.  

And Ford/Lincoln's feature suite is different, certainly more comprehensive in many areas.... if not in the key areas that distinguish Tesla.  

Edited by Assimilator

9 hours ago, AGR said:

Really? In every test drive of a Tesla that I've ever read, the author always raves about the performance and handling. 

9 hours ago, rperez817 said:

I agree AGR sir. My Model S does a better job combining comfort, agility, speed, efficiency, and practicality than any other car I've ever experienced. It's simply a great car.

At my old job I visited San Diego at a sister site we had out there. My equivalent out there had a Tesla S (he had a side business selling business furniture from failed .dot coms that was very lucrative-to the point that people asked him why he had a "day" job since it was a sensitive position he worked in). He took us out to the Tesla factory for a tour in his Tesla (not a bad deal since I was getting paid for it! LOL) and outside of the performance of the S, I felt that it was built like shit IMO. The interior had squeaks, the materials where just "ok" and the overall design felt like a cheap Ikea rip off. 

At my current job, an engineer has an i3 that he got used for 20K or so and the build and interior quality was so much better on that, outside of some odd material choices they used in it. Performance wasn't bad for it being basically a "roller skate'/city car. 

9 hours ago, Assimilator said:

It's hard to get around the fact that Model 3 and Model Y don't have the luxuries of other cars, but the driving experience is typically very positive for a number of reasons. Driving without a transmission makes such a huge difference,  torque is smooth and responsive without the need to feather the transmission or throttle to ensure smooth performance.  The engine isn't constantly reminding you that it's working hard.   It's really quite a nice luxurious experience on its own and you quickly understand why this is better and the only way forward.  Tesla certainly isn't the only one that can do this, imagine what a Lincoln BEV can do, it's really the only way to achieve MAXIMUM Lincoln.  Lincoln and Ford can certainly nail the sound isolation that Tesla seems to fall short on.  

And Ford/Lincoln's feature suite is different, certainly more comprehensive in many areas.... if not in the key areas that distinguish Tesla.  

That may be why Lincoln plans to bring out either two or three (reports vary) BEVs in the next 3 years, as discussed in a separate thread both here and on the Lincoln board. Definitely a mid-sized crossover (the one that Ford/Lincoln are working on in parallel as a 2023 MY), a Riven-derived big SUV -- maybe a super-luxury Continental replacement, maybe a year earlier -- and possibly a compact crossover for 2021 (though I am less sure of this). That said, it sounds like a lot of Lincoln electrics in a short period of time. I hope they pull out all the stops and that there's enough of a market for them.

Edited by Gurgeh

52 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

At my old job I visited San Diego at a sister site we had out there. My equivalent out there had a Tesla S (he had a side business selling business furniture from failed .dot coms that was very lucrative-to the point that people asked him why he had a "day" job since it was a sensitive position he worked in). He took us out to the Tesla factory for a tour in his Tesla (not a bad deal since I was getting paid for it! LOL) and outside of the performance of the S, I felt that it was built like shit IMO. The interior had squeaks, the materials where just "ok" and the overall design felt like a cheap Ikea rip off. 

At my current job, an engineer has an i3 that he got used for 20K or so and the build and interior quality was so much better on that, outside of some odd material choices they used in it. Performance wasn't bad for it being basically a "roller skate'/city car. 

Tesla had some build quality issues with early releases of all its car models. Those have mostly been resolved, though some "cheapness" remains.

European, Japanese, and South Korean automakers still deliver the best quality automotive interiors. Remains to be seen if the three major U.S. automakers (Tesla, Ford, and GM) will step up their game with interior quality in new BEV models like Cybertruck and Mustang Mach-E.