Ford Mustang Mach E World Premiere Nov 17 9PM EST

I wonder if articles will be published online just past midnight on the day of reveal when embargo passes?

Edited to add: I like the renderings especially the light green one. Can't wait for the reveal and to hear what they have to say about it.

Edited by pffan1990

12 hours ago, Harley Lover said:

^^

I can see what others are saying regarding the photoshops - they are really close to the actual spy photos, but seem to be somewhat more "optomistic" in their details, i.e. wheel offset, ride height, etc..

Will be interesting when we can finally see it on 11/17 and FINALLY dispense with the spy shots, etc..

All they are doing is taking the spy shots and putting them into photo shop to remove the camo and what not. One thing I just noticed looking at the newer spy shots-there a fake trim piece where the spoiler and rear roof line meet-If you remove that, the overall shape of the roofline is almost identical to the current mustang. It wouldn't make any sense to keep it in the production car because it doesn't do anything and doesn't look like it has anything real to attach to. 

macheroof.PNG.a16736598deadd5576d314157e620747.PNG

55 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

All they are doing is taking the spy shots and putting them into photo shop to remove the camo and what not. One thing I just noticed looking at the newer spy shots-there a fake trim piece where the spoiler and rear roof line meet-If you remove that, the overall shape of the roofline is almost identical to the current mustang. It wouldn't make any sense to keep it in the production car because it doesn't do anything and doesn't look like it has anything real to attach to. 

It kinda completes the roof arch in a non-elegant way.  I'd say that is going to be on the production vehicle.  Some Nissan CUVs have that and it looks horrid on them, but I'm hopeful it will look better in this application.

50 minutes ago, Anthony said:

It kinda completes the roof arch in a non-elegant way.  I'd say that is going to be on the production vehicle.  Some Nissan CUVs have that and it looks horrid on them, but I'm hopeful it will look better in this application.

2020-Ford-Escape-(8).jpg
2020-ford-explorer-platinum-3.jpg

If you look at most of ford’s new suv/cuvs you will see that same trim piece. It will more than likely be on the final product.

3 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

As has been pointed out, it's an aero thing.  I'm sure it'll be black/less noticable

14 minutes ago, bzcat said:

I'm still not sold on the fake grill but I think the overall shape is going to be really good. Can't wait to see it without camo in 5 days.

No matter what, it still kills the Tesla 3 on looks, it’s so great to see Ford really taking a shot at a decent BEV and hopefully lifts some negativity 

They definitely didn't phone it in, they took it seriously even if I wouldn't call this a Tesla beater by a long stretch.  Tesla is a whole series of technologies and services that Ford doesn't appear to be close to matching.  Tesla is still designing its own motors so I'm not sure how it's going to pan out in terms of performance and efficiency.  Ford is still largely outsourcing this tech to Bosch, so it's a little like Ford outsourcing its engines and transmissions which have historically been key to their success.  It's a nice "foot in the water" but the company has a long way to go before they get to take charge of the tech.  And furthermore, although Ford is making great strides with Sync 4....I don't need to tell anybody that software and firmware upgrades have never been a core competency for any of the traditional automakers, especially Ford.  It's going to take a long time, but this is a bold step in the right direction after essentially doing nothing.  Ford just has to play to their strengths and I think their Mach E will do that, focusing on what makes them unique  and passionate instead of treating this as a mundane technical challenge.  Thats why I tend to disagree with the idea that Ford is a Tech company, it's a bad one in that regard, but they know how to make customers feel great about their cars even if they are as low tech as a Bronco or as high-tech as a Mach E.  It's about the experience.

Ultimately I will say give the Mach E a generation to sort itself out and teach Ford about the tech and infrastructure, but Tesla really is the only way to go for quite a bit longer even if Ford can also get you almost there.  But when it comes to electrifying things like vans, SUVs, trucks, off-roaders, sports cars...that's where Ford EV tech can really shine.  Anything that takes Tesla head-on directly like Mach E....eh...I'm not so sure.

Edited by Assimilator
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Assimilator said:

They definitely didn't phone it in, they took it seriously even if I wouldn't call this a Tesla beater by a long stretch.  Tesla is a whole series of technologies and services that Ford doesn't appear to be close to matching.  Tesla is still designing its own motors so I'm not sure how it's going to pan out in terms of performance and efficiency.  Ford is still largely outsourcing this tech to Bosch, so it's a little like Ford outsourcing its engines and transmissions which have historically been key to their success.  It's a nice "foot in the water" but the company has a long way to go before they get to take charge of the tech.  And furthermore, although Ford is making great strides with Sync 4....I don't need to tell anybody that software and firmware upgrades have never been a core competency for any of the traditional automakers, especially Ford.  It's going to take a long time, but this is a bold step in the right direction after essentially doing nothing.  Ford just has to play to their strengths and I think their Mach E will do that, focusing on what makes them unique  and passionate instead of treating this as a mundane technical challenge.  Thats why I tend to disagree with the idea that Ford is a Tech company, it's a bad one in that regard, but they know how to make customers feel great about their cars even if they are as low tech as a Bronco or as high-tech as a Mach E.  It's about the experience.

Ultimately I will say give the Mach E a generation to sort itself out and teach Ford about the tech and infrastructure, but Tesla really is the only way to go for quite a bit longer even if Ford can also get you almost there.  But when it comes to electrifying things like vans, SUVs, trucks, off-roaders, sports cars...that's where Ford EV tech can really shine.  Anything that takes Tesla head-on directly like Mach E....eh...I'm not so sure.  

for the life of me I have no idea why people utilize Tesla as a benchmark...ESPECIALLY given all the issues they have had over the years...half of which remain unreported due to their initial gag order....Teslas have as many  issues as any cars on the road..then add in their inferior network and the excruciating time needed for parts for repairs, lackluster fit and finish...etc etc...and I truly scratch my head into why they seem to be put on a pedestal...

1 minute ago, Deanh said:

for the life of me I have no idea why people utilize Tesla as a benchmark...ESPECIALLY given all the issues they have had over the years...half of which remain unreported due to their initial gag order....Teslas have as many  issues as any cars on the road..then add in their inferior network and the excruciating time needed for parts for repairs, lackluster fit and finish...etc etc...and I truly scratch my head into why they seem to be put on a pedestal...

Because Elon Musk is a good salesman of bullshit 

• Like 6

17 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Musk is now playing in Ford’s and GM’s area of expertise, mass production of vehicles and the logistics to make that not only work but be profitable too.

once all the competition arrives...his niche market will only be a small percentage of what it is now....so, it may just get worse for him...a Semi , and 250k sports car wont heal that issue...the Y may help, but to what extent and that may be some time away, Teslas slice of the BEV market is about to become somewhat smaller I believe...and for a company with a track record of only posting 1 profitable quarter since their inception, that doesn't speak too highly about their ultimate existence.

Edited by Deanh

8 minutes ago, Deanh said:

once all the competition arrives...his niche market will only be a small percentage of what it is now....so, it may just get worse for him...a Semi , and k sports car wont heal that issue...the Y may help, but to what extent and that may be some time away

Precisely.

Tesla’s problem is it’s ready cash that’s needed to fund development. Yes Musk is getting by but, building the richest trim mix of the 3 ink gets Tesla barely profitable. The whole thing goes upside down when the competition arrives in volume, even if they use Bosch electrics those vehicles will rip the guts out of Tesla’s potential growth.

Mach E is not a killer punch to Tesla and was never intended to be but, what it does is signal Ford’s arrival in true BEVs so GM shouldn’t be too far behind, pity Lordstown wasn’t building a rival to this as a Chevy, Buick and Cadillac- now that would really pig stick Tesla’s expansion plans 

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

Precisely.

Tesla’s problem is it’s ready cash that’s needed to fund development. Yes Musk is getting by but, building the richest trim mix of the 3 ink gets Tesla barely profitable. The whole thing goes upside down when the competition arrives in volume, even if they use Bosch electrics those vehicles will rip the guts out of Tesla’s potential growth.

Bingo...and dare I say it, but Bosch has been around for decades, so theres a great chance their product may be better developed than Teslas from the get go...remains to be seen, we shall see....I said from the get go, Tesla should have franchised and they would be doing a hell of a lot better....maybe then there COULD have been a profitable 35k Model 3

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Deanh said:

Bingo...and dare I say it, but Bosch has been around for decades, so theres a great chance their product may be better developed than Teslas from the get go...remains to be seen, we shall see....I said from the get go, Tesla should have franchised and they would be doing a hell of a lot better....maybe then there COULD have been a profitable 35k Model 3

As assimilator was saying, Ford won’t have the cutting edge of Tesla or the charging network but,

they will have other things that are probably more tangible to buyers, like rolling out home charging systems and a dealer network that Tesla can only dream about. Imagine having issues with a Tesla and being able to go to a dealer and get them resolved without an online interrogation 

i just see Ford reaching  a lot more customers even if this remains a toe in the water product. You never know until you try

damned autocorrect 

Edited by jpd80

2 hours ago, Assimilator said:

Anything that takes Tesla head-on directly like Mach E....eh...I'm not so sure.

The biggest difference between the Mach E and any Tesla......you'll be able to buy a Mach E at any of the nearly 3,000 Ford dealerships that cover the U.S.  Have it serviced too.  Good luck doing that with a Tesla.

• Like 1