Ford Mustang Mach E World Premiere Nov 17 9PM EST

6 hours ago, rmc523 said:

This is the first I've heard of this:

There are also rumors of Ford creating combustion-powered versions of another Mustang-inspired crossover. This model is allegedly separate from the EV, and the vehicle would share a platform with the next-gen Explorer.

The Mach E is a BEV based on C2,  it's real and here next year

That other vehicle rumor sounds like a conflation of the the Edge / Nautilus replacement and the Fusion replacement.

If NG Edge/Nautilus is CD^ RWD, then basing a near car crossover off it to replace Fusion/MKZ would be much easier.

So is that rumor based on  actual co-developed products or just an internet house of cards.......

I like these quotes...

“The iconic vehicles in the in the Icon team’s portfolio already have an enormous of goodwill,” she said. The group’s objective now is come up with products that maintain the goodwill created by the popular Mustang and Raptor.

“We’re rallying the company around the iconic products,” she said. “We have to make sure they’re around for another 55 years,” Marentic added, noting the long-running success of the Mustang, which made its first appearance at the New York World’s Fair in 1964.

In addition to their dominance on social media, the iconic vehicles have become export leaders for Ford. The Raptor has done very well in China and 20% of all Mustangs built in the Ford Assembly plant in Flat Rock, Michigan, are sold outside North America. “The Mustang outsells Porsche in Germany,” Marentic noted.

Part of his mission is also to maintain Ford’s tradition of building vehicles that are fast, nimble and fun to drive,” Pericak said. For example, he’s working on programs that ensure that manual transmissions remain available in Ford’s iconic vehicles now and in the future.

“We want to create vehicles that that make people smile,” Marentic said. 

“We don’t plan to spend a lot o money on marketing. You don’t become an icon.

The customers make you one. We’re just curating them.”

2 hours ago, Harley Lover said:

Or maybe:

4989_autowp_1-xlarge.jpg

I had one of those without the fancy stripes.  White too.  Grandfather was selling Fords at the time.  It was a dog with 4 cylinder/manual. My uncle had the V-8 version. Later I had a really ugly blue and tan 4 cylinder/manual. Now that was sporty.  ?

4 hours ago, jpd80 said:

The Mach E is a BEV based on C2,  it's real and here next year

That other vehicle rumor sounds like a conflation of the the Edge / Nautilus replacement and the Fusion replacement.

If NG Edge/Nautilus is CD^ RWD, then basing a near car crossover off it to replace Fusion/MKZ would be much easier.

So is that rumor based on  actual co-developed products or just an internet house of cards.......

I forget who but someone posted the program codes here in the last few days 

I'm a big fan of the Mustang II. It was absolutely the right car for the right time. If I recall correctly, the '74 model year is the 3rd bestselling (after '65 & '66) in Mustang's history. 

Sure, it looks a little goofy now, but 99% of US cars from that era are a far cry from the beauties of the 60's.

And, Mustang II was still a sporty rear wheel drive coupe, with a short tail and a long nose and ('74 MY aside) still available with a V8. So, that Mustang DNA was still strong :)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Twin Turbo said:

And, Mustang II was still a sporty rear wheel drive coupe

LOL That's revisionist history at its finest. For the first several years of the Mustang II, there was no V8. It was a dressed up Pinto. As has been pointed out, it helped Mustang survive the 70's, but even with a V8 it was a dog. The Fox Mustang really put Mustang back on track towards where it is today. 

'74 was the only year the II was not available with a V8. And there's less Pinto in it than there is Falcon in the '65  ;)

I'm not claiming it was a great car. Far from it. But it was as good as most of its peers (although arguably, Pontiac was the only true "muscle car" left in the mid-late 70's with the Firebird/Trans-Am).

Anyway, about that Mustang inspired SUV......

:)

Edited by Twin Turbo

1 hour ago, Harley Lover said:

LOL That's revisionist history at its finest. For the first several years of the Mustang II, there was no V8. It was a dressed up Pinto. As has been pointed out, it helped Mustang survive the 70's, but even with a V8 it was a dog. The Fox Mustang really put Mustang back on track towards where it is today. 

I seem to remember 88 hp in the 4 cylinder.  And 22 mpg all the time.  I liked driving my uncle’s v8 though. 

2 hours ago, Twin Turbo said:

But it was as good as most of its peers (although arguably, Pontiac was the only true "muscle car" left in the mid-late 70's with the Firebird/Trans-Am).

Chevy had the Camaro Z28 and Pontiac had the Firebird Transam. The Pintang couldn't carry the jockstrap of either of those cars. That's just a sad fact. It wasn't in the same class. That doesn't mean it didn't sell well, etc., but the Pintang (Musto?) was a blotch on the 'heritage' of the Mustang, especially in light of what preceded it and what came after. Google Mustang II Super Cobra for the final nail in the coffin.

1 hour ago, Harley Lover said:

Chevy had the Camaro Z28 and Pontiac had the Firebird Transam. The Pintang couldn't carry the jockstrap of either of those cars. That's just a sad fact. It wasn't in the same class. That doesn't mean it didn't sell well, etc., but the Pintang (Musto?) was a blotch on the 'heritage' of the Mustang, especially in light of what preceded it and what came after. Google Mustang II Super Cobra for the final nail in the coffin.

I believe both the 75-79 Camaro and Mustang had V8s in the 145-150 hp range.

9 minutes ago, akirby said:

I believe both the 75-79 Camaro and Mustang had V8s in the 145-150 hp range.

I believe the Mustang was closer to 135 hp and the Camaro was around 145 for the 305 V8.  The Z28 had a 350 V8 and about 170 hp.  The Mustang was considerably lighter but still slower than the Camaro. 

Never thought I'd be checking out 0-60 and 1/4 Miles times for 1976 Cobra II and Camaros . . . . but . . .

https://www.automobile-catalog.com/car/1976/857510/ford_mustang_ii_cobra_ii_302_v-8.html

this Ford would accelerate 0-60 mph in 9.8 sec, 0-100 km/h in 10.4 sec and quarter mile time is 17.4 sec.

https://www.automobile-catalog.com/car/1976/205490/chevrolet_camaro_type_lt_350-4_v-8_4-speed.html

this Chevrolet would accelerate 0-60 mph in 9.9 sec, 0-100 km/h in 10.5 sec and quarter mile time is 17.5 sec

Grain of salt . . . and sheesh were they slow!  LOL!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Twin Turbo said:

I'm a big fan of the Mustang II. It was absolutely the right car for the right time. If I recall correctly, the '74 model year is the 3rd bestselling (after '65 & '66) in Mustang's history. 

Sure, it looks a little goofy now, but 99% of US cars from that era are a far cry from the beauties of the 60's.

And, Mustang II was still a sporty rear wheel drive coupe, with a short tail and a long nose and ('74 MY aside) still available with a V8. So, that Mustang DNA was still strong :)

A high school girlfriend of mine had a Calypso Green Mustang II V8. Her dad rebuilt and repainted it. Slow as a dog but every time I see one I get a smile on my face! 

12 hours ago, Twin Turbo said:

Only statistic that matters.  Ford produced about 135,000 1973 Mustangs (last of the old body style) and about 385,000 1974 Mustang II's.  Absolutely, the car was a smash hit, and the right Mustang for the time.

(Interesting tidbit:  I worked at the Rouge Plant during the summer of 1974 and my job was to drive cars from one end of the plant parking lot, to another.  I have literally driven hundreds of 1974 Mustang II's.).

• Like 4

1 hour ago, IMSA-XJR9 said:

Never thought I'd be checking out 0-60 and 1/4 Miles times for 1976 Cobra II and Camaros . . . . but . . .

https://www.automobile-catalog.com/car/1976/857510/ford_mustang_ii_cobra_ii_302_v-8.html

https://www.automobile-catalog.com/car/1976/205490/chevrolet_camaro_type_lt_350-4_v-8_4-speed.html

Grain of salt . . . and sheesh were they slow!  LOL!

Its slightly crazy that a midsize sedan of today is faster then a 1960s Muscle car in the same categories and a 2019 Mustang GT offers supercar performance of the 1990s or so.

• Like 3

255 was available 1980 through 1982. 302 returned to Mustang for 1982 model year.  I remember the Motor Trend cover - "The Boss is Back."  157 hp with 2bbl, 4 bbl came  in 1983 with 175 hp, later increased to 205 or 210, then 225 with port fuel injection. 

• Like 2