Ford Mustang Mach E World Premiere Nov 17 9PM EST

15 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Unique architecture. They've said that a few times. It's the basis for most Ford electric vehicles going forward. 

Maybe (the basis) - keep in mind the mid-size BEV CUV twins are supposed to be on yet another BEV chassis, so will Mach E's (supposed) skateboard chassis be the basis or not? <not being argumentative, just not sure what to think>

Edited by Harley Lover

2 minutes ago, Harley Lover said:

Maybe (the basis) - keep in mind the mid-size BEV CUV twins are supposed to be on yet another BEV chassis, so will Mach E's (supposed) skateboard chassis be the basis or not? <not being argumentative, just not sure what to think>

Im really not either. I feel like this is yet another plan that's changed 3-4 times in the last few years. 

7 minutes ago, Deanh said:

JUST SAW THIS...whilst weknow the front end isn't representative, I do dig the profile,

E.jpg

Yep, our friend, the staunch Mustang advocate was right

about this BEV looking exactly  like a Prius (rolls eyes)

Edited by jpd80

19 hours ago, RadicalX said:

That's E1 architecture?

E1 name is what we came up with to parallel C2 and CD6. Ford's official name for this platform is Model E. Ford has 6 known EV programs right now.

1. Model E: Ford has been very clear in its communication with Wall Street that Model E architecture will underpin a whole family of mid to large size unibody EVs, not just MACH E. 

2. VW MEB: Ford is using VW's MEB EV platform for smaller compact and subcompact EVs which most likely will only be sold in Europe.

3. Ford is working on F-150 EV which persumbly will also spawn other body on frame EVs .

4. There is a program ongoing to adapt the existing Transit/Transit Custom platform for EV use, although it is probably a transitional program. Next gen Transit is due by 2022 or 2023 so it will probably have EV option fully baked in. 

5.  Rivian platform: not much is known about what Ford plans to do with this platform. It is very similar in concept to both Model E and MEB so there is probably some synergy to be had if Ford basically herds Rivian into E2 (or vice versa).

6. Zotye Ford is working in China on low cost BEV, based on Zotye technology, primarily for the Chinese market. Although this project is probably on very shaky ground as Zotye is on the brink of bankruptcy. 

Edited by bzcat
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, bzcat said:

E1 name is what we came up with to parallel C2 and CD6. Ford's official name for this platform is Model E. Ford has 6 known EV programs right now.

Plus the electric Edge / Nautilus?

Also, I have a feeling E1/ModelE is somehow not too different from C2... does anyone know if these 2 platforms are related?

We know very little about E1 because Ford hasn't said anything beyond that it is a dedicated EV platform with no provision for internal combustion engine. I think a lot of conjecture about it being related to C2 is from the fact that Model E test mules were generally based on hacked up C2 vehicles. 

But based on what we know about dedicated EV architecture from other car company, E1 by design would share almost nothing with C2 from a platform engineering perspective. Placement of batteries affects weight and load, and the firewall and unibody safety cell structure on EV is totally different than ICE platform requirements.

We will learn a lot of Model E when Ford reveals MACH E in about 12 days. 

Edited by bzcat
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Actually the early mules were hacked up 2017-19 Escapes, and those aren't C2. 

Yes exactly. No one seriously thinks Model E is related to C1 Escape but for some reason people keep drawing false connections with E1 and newer hacked up C2 test mules. 

The one thing that confuses people I think is the wheelbase. E1 mules had really long wheelbase and very short overhang so in camouflage, it looks smaller than it really is. Tesla Model 3 was the same way... when the mules were out in camo, people thought it was a small compact car like Prius or Volt because the front quarter of the car is really short (no engine in there so no need for  extra crumble zone to account for the engine intrusion). When the car actually arrived, it was basically the same size as BMW 3 series or Audi A4. I think people will be surprised by the actual size of MACH E when it shows in real life as well - it is probably about the size of Fusion if not a little bigger. 

Edited by bzcat

1 hour ago, bzcat said:

We know very little about E1 because Ford hasn't said anything beyond that it is a dedicated EV platform with no provision for internal combustion engine. I think a lot of conjecture about it being related to C2 is from the fact that Model E test mules were generally based on hacked up C2 vehicles. 

But based on what we know about dedicated EV architecture from other car company, E1 by design would share almost nothing with C2 from a platform engineering perspective. Placement of batteries affects weight and load, and the firewall and unibody safety cell structure on EV is totally different than ICE platform requirements.

We will learn a lot of Model E when Ford reveals MACH E in about 12 days. 

I do know that Mach E was sent back to the drawing board by Hackett and Farley because Fields set off making it a BEV C-Max replacement.

Remember E1 is an architecture that is growing and learning, many differences with the mid sized BEVs as they were started this time last year, Mach E started in 2015

Fields began Model E under C architecture as cost Center and use of top hat construction process and then changed the integral chassis to skateboard , the placement of front wheels is basically irrelevant to E1 architecture as most of the battery weight is now in the chassis. It’s kind of the reverse of how GM developed the Volt.

Fords use of the term architecture is very loose, an example is that Ranger is now under the same Architecture as F150 even though they share nothing structurally. 

All I would suggest is to not take Ford too literally when it says all new anything,

we’ve seen a few examples of that in the past few years.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

Many here accused me of being a troll by saying that Ford was about to start a Mustang sub-brand by launching Mach E. Gradually time is giving me the reason. The new Ford EV will carry the "Mustang" emblem on its body. If the name "Mustang" applies to several vehicles of different nature, what is that called?

Greetings guys.

http://fordauthority.com/2019/11/upcoming-ford-mustang-inspired-ev-to-wear-running-pony-logo/

Edited by silvrsvt