Ford Mustang Mach E World Premiere Nov 17 9PM EST

Good..........tail lights aside this doesn't look like a Mustang. It looks like pretty much every other SUV "coupe". But I still have a MASSIVE problem with them using the Pony logo. This shares ZERO DNA with Mustang (the SEMA Lithium show car.......THAT'S how you do a "Mustang inspired" electric car)

PLEASE Ford......PLEASE......just use the Blue Oval logo on this.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Twin Turbo said:

Good..........tail lights aside this doesn't look like a Mustang. It looks like pretty much every other SUV "coupe". But I still have a MASSIVE problem with them using the Pony logo. This shares ZERO DNA with Mustang (the SEMA Lithium show car.......THAT'S how you do a "Mustang inspired" electric car)

PLEASE Ford......PLEASE......just use the Blue Oval logo on this.

call it the probe, something middle aged men will identify with...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QI1go72c5H8

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, jpd80 said:

call it the probe, something middle aged men will identify with...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QI1go72c5H8

Actually though, joking aside, the Probe really would be a good name for this 'Mustang-inspired' crossover due to fact that Probe was going to be front wheel drive Mustang at one time. I like your humor but that would work as the name. But I highly doubt Ford will do that though. I also get what @Twin Turbo thinks about running horse logo which should be only used on Mustang but I have grown to like the idea of Mach-E being Mustang-inspired with styling cues and all that. I have slowly started to accept the logo usage but really would be thrilled if they just stick the Ford oval logo as seen on the recent CAD leak. I just hope the Mustang name won't be used anywhere on it or in marketing, sales paperwork, titles, etc. Ford knows they need to be really careful with this or else they'll see a repeat of the Probe uproar. Look at what happened when this vehicle was originally announced to be called Mach 1. Purists were angry on social media sites to a point that Ford had to backtrack with the name.

29 minutes ago, pffan1990 said:

Actually though, joking aside, the Probe really would be a good name for this 'Mustang-inspired' crossover due to fact that Probe was going to be front wheel drive Mustang at one time. I like your humor but that would work as the name. But I highly doubt Ford will do that though. I also get what @Twin Turbo thinks about running horse logo which should be only used on Mustang but I have grown to like the idea of Mach-E being Mustang-inspired with styling cues and all that. I have slowly started to accept the logo usage but really would be thrilled if they just stick the Ford oval logo as seen on the recent CAD leak. I just hope the Mustang name won't be used anywhere on it or in marketing, sales paperwork, titles, etc. Ford knows they need to be really careful with this or else they'll see a repeat of the Probe uproar. Look at what happened when this vehicle was originally announced to be called Mach 1. Purists were angry on social media sites to a point that Ford had to backtrack with the name.

I suggested the probe name due to Mach E's FWD design and the association between FWD Probe and Mustang..

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

I suggested the probe name due to Mach E's FWD design and the association between FWD Probe and Mustang..

And it's a good idea too. I know you have lots of inside info about Ford. Are you employee or have sources. I know I asked before and forgot; apologies. I'm wondering if you have told your sources or the higher-ups if you do work there about the Probe name idea. It's a perfect name for it.

18 minutes ago, pffan1990 said:

And it's a good idea too. I know you have lots of inside info about Ford. Are you employee or have sources. I know I asked before and forgot; apologies. I'm wondering if you have told your sources or the higher-ups if you do work there about the Probe name idea. It's a perfect name for it.

I like where your head is at but trust me, he's  better off talking to his computer screen. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I like where your head is at but trust me, he's  better off talking to his computer screen. 

Pardon my ignorance and the fact that I only got few hours of sleep, but what do you mean by that? Wouldn't hurt to let Ford execs know of the Probe name idea. They may very well like it and make a last minute change.

I think this is a good design ruined by a bad name/marketing strategy. If this came out with a gas engine, a regular grille, and a ford emblem instead of a mustang and it was named Edge, I’m pretty sure we would all think it was awesome, but this doesn’t seem to live up to the mustang name or image and thus everyone seems a bit disappointed. 

if they wanted to use a ford name with some performance history, I think they should have used lightning. It fits better with an electric vehicle.

granted, this could all change once the camo wrap comes off. With the reveal so close, I wonder why they let these pics slip out?

Edited by T-dubz
  • Like 2

I'm looking foward to seeing this in final production trim, I'm a bit underwhelmed with these photos. For me, the vehicle appears undertired, i.e. it reminds me of cars from the 50's/60's/70's in the U.S. as well as Japanese cars from the 70's in this regard - not enough offset on the wheels, and not enough tire, giving the appearance of weakness (compare the photo of the Maserati embedded in the thread). I realize that an EV needs less rolling resistance for more range, but if this is supposed to be a performance EV, then range takes a back seat to looks! The shadows in the photos might also be playing tricks with the appearance, hard to tell. 

Unlike others here, I'm not losing my mind over any association with the Mustang. As I've posted previously, if Ford can sell this thing as a Mustang, then 'lighten up Francis":

ac_mustangii_alt.ashx?modified=201903131[/img]

Edited by Harley Lover

1 minute ago, Trailhiker said:

Looks more like a redesigned Taurus in the front than the Mustang!

We've seen this worn out decade old front end styling on just about everything from Fiesta to Transit.

Lincoln has great design...why can't Ford?!

Totally agree with the aging front end design language.  When will we see a new design direction from Ford?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, T-dubz said:

I think this is a good design ruined by a bad name/marketing strategy. If this came out with a gas engine, a regular grille, and a ford emblem instead of a mustang and it was named Edge, I’m pretty sure we would all think it was awesome, but this doesn’t seem to live up to the mustang name or image and thus everyone seems a bit disappointed. 

if they wanted to use a ford name with some performance history, I think they should have used lightning. It fits better with an electric vehicle.

granted, this could all change once the camo wrap comes off. With the reveal so close, I wonder why they let these pics slip out?

I'm not wowed by what I'm seeing so far, but why don't we wait and see the final thing before passing judgment.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Trailhiker said:

Looks more like a redesigned Taurus in the front than the Mustang!

We've seen this worn out decade old front end styling on just about everything from Fiesta to Transit.

Lincoln has great design...why can't Ford?!

I agree, it may be the camouflage tape/skin and/or as others mentioned the low angle but it looks very uninspiring and to put a the Mustang Logo on that i think would be a mistake for the Logo and for the Mach E itself - if the Mustang connection isn't strong enough putting the horse on it will come off as a gimmick.  

3 hours ago, Harley Lover said:

I'm looking foward to seeing this in final production trim, I'm a bit underwhelmed with these photos. For me, the vehicle appears undertired, i.e. it reminds me of cars from the 50's/60's/70's in the U.S. as well as Japanese cars from the 70's in this regard - not enough offset on the wheels, and not enough tire, giving the appearance of weakness (compare the photo of the Maserati embedded in the thread). I realize that an EV needs less rolling resistance for more range, but if this is supposed to be a performance EV, then range takes a back seat to looks! The shadows in the photos might also be playing tricks with the appearance, hard to tell. 

Unlike others here, I'm not losing my mind over any association with the Mustang. As I've posted previously, if Ford can sell this thing as a Mustang, then 'lighten up Francis":

While that trim pattern is undesirable - the Mustang II wasn't that far off the mark as a "modern" return to the 64 mustang which due to the fuel crisis was necessary as the Mustang had gotten very large.    I had a 73 Mustang and looked down on these cars, but in hindsight there were a lot of trim packages that made them look  like a good interpretation/evolution of the 64's which after all was a "pony car" aka. a reasonably priced compact sporty car.  https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a20101486/its-time-to-bring-back-the-mustang-ii/

blue_mustang_ii.jpg

cont-1525096321.jpg

Edited by Fordowner
fix attempt to attach picture

Sorry, but no, it was a Pinto in Mustang trim. It sold in big numbers, but it had no credibility as a "Mustang" - at least not how "being a Mustang" is being interpreted in this thread. To quote Shakespeare,  Stripes and spoilers do not a Mustang make.

Edited by Harley Lover

1 minute ago, Harley Lover said:

Sorry, but no, it was a Pinto in Mustang trim. It sold in big numbers, but it had no credibility as a "Mustang" - at least not how "being a Mustang" is being interpreted in this thread.

that version of the Mustang was Fords "Pontiac Astek" moment in my opinion....

4 hours ago, Harley Lover said:

I think they’re going to have to push hard on the performance connection rather than appearance. 

11 minutes ago, Harley Lover said:

Sorry, but no, it was a Pinto in Mustang trim. It sold in big numbers, but it had no credibility as a "Mustang" - at least not how "being a Mustang" is being interpreted in this thread. To quote Shakespeare,  Stripes and spoilers do not a Mustang make.

True, it is definitely not the Mustang being discussed here and i probably like tape jobs more than I should (that's a tape job that includes the word "fastback" and oversized spoiler on my 2007 Mustang that dealers were selling.)     Still the idea of a Mustang sub brand would be interesting if they came up with an affordable compact sporty vehicle - or will that be the Bronco jr.?

Edited by Fordowner