2020 Explorer Platinum

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/9/2019 at 2:44 PM, yesguitarman said:

Someone please help me status this 2020 Explorer Platinum.  VIN is 1FM5K8HC8LGA11042.  Cyberdman, can you help?

Just wondering why you are asking for tracking help and not posting in the tracking forum...  cyberdman has a forum for you to post in if you want his help.

10 hours ago, blwnsmoke said:

Just wondering why you are asking for tracking help and not posting in the tracking forum...  cyberdman has a forum for you to post in if you want his help.

You need 15 posts on this website to be able to use the tracking forum.  I didn't have enough.

Nonetheless, status for my VIN changed this morning to:  Released, Awaiting Shipment!  It only took nine months from placement of order.

Hooray!

4 minutes ago, yesguitarman said:

You need 15 posts on this website to be able to use the tracking forum.  I didn't have enough.

Nonetheless, status for my VIN changed this morning to:  Released, Awaiting Shipment!  It only took nine months from placement of order.

Hooray!

Last Thursday you posted that you ordered in March?  9 months?

HRG

• 3 weeks later...

Well, we closed the deal and picked up our new 2020 Explorer yesterday.  I must say that in most aspects it exceeded our expectations, even if we did need to wait almost seven months for it.  However, there are a couple of quality issues, the least of which was a small chip in the paint on the edge of the driver's door.  The rear left pylon black trim has a deep gouge in it and it looks like someone tried to polish out the whole piece as evidenced by the swirl marks. It needs to be replaced as it looks awful in the sun.  The third issue is a tear in the second row, right seat upholstery.  I wonder if this occurred during the seat bracket recall remediation?  At any rate, the upholstery material looks like its under a lot of stress at this seam where it pulls over the frame at this point.

Come on Ford, you can do better with attention to quality.

2020 Explorer.jpg

Rear Pylon Trim.jpg

Seat Tear.jpg

9 minutes ago, yesguitarman said:

Yes, its Magnetic Metallic with the Light Sandstone interior.  I'll give it the real test this weekend seeing how well it does towing my Nitro Z8 bass boat.

Try to get some miles on it before towing, and don't leave it at a constant speed for long periods to break it in, usually the first 500 or 1000 miles.  The OM will have details.

2 hours ago, yesguitarman said:

Guys,  Ford Pass is showing that my tire pressure is 43-45 psi in all four tires on my Explorer.  It also says that recommended cold pressure is 33 psi.  Which is correct and should I be bleeding off the pressure?

Hi yesguitarman. Yes, you definitely need to lower the pressure. You can go a few pounds higher than the recommended 33 PSI if you wish (~35-36 at most), but your current tire pressures are certainly far too high.  Do you have a good quality tire pressure gauge? If you do not, go buy one. Do not use the TPMS system as your pressure gauge.

Seems like the Dealership did not lower the tire pressures from the intentionally high, factory delivery pressures. The tires should have been checked and pressures lowered when they prepped your car for delivery.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

20 hours ago, bbf2530 said:

Hi yesguitarman. Yes, you definitely need to lower the pressure. You can go a few pounds higher than the recommended 33 PSI if you wish (~35-36 at most), but your current tire pressures are certainly far too high.  Do you have a good quality tire pressure gauge? If you do not, go buy one. Do not use the TPMS system as your pressure gauge.

Seems like the Dealership did not lower the tire pressures from the intentionally high, factory delivery pressures. The tires should have been checked and pressures lowered when they prepped your car for delivery.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

I lowered the pressure to 36 psi for now.  The door frame placard states tire pressure should be 33 psi.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, yesguitarman said:

Yesterday was the first outing towing my 20 foot Nitro Z8 bass boat.  The rig weighs about 4500 pounds in total and I just gotta say that the Explorer tows it without effort.  Very nice!

Hi ygm. Just an FYI: Not sure how many miles you have on your new Explorer, but Ford specifically states no towing for the first 1,000 miles on a new vehicle. You can find verification of this information in your Owners Manual.

Good luck.

On 10/17/2019 at 3:59 PM, blwnsmoke said:

All explorers are coming with 45psi in them.  We are all lowering them to 33 and the ride is far better.  Every member on the Explorer forum has reported it and dealers apparently are morons and not adjusting it as part of the PDI.

It should have been done, but you shouldn't adjust at PDI. Sitting on the lot can flat spot the tires, especially shitty ones like Pirellis. Tire pressure should be set at delivery.  

2 minutes ago, YT90SC said:

It should have been done, but you shouldn't adjust at PDI. Sitting on the lot can flat spot the tires, especially shitty ones like Pirellis. Tire pressure should be set at delivery.  

I consider PDI the inspection and detailing the dealership does when a car is sold.

23 hours ago, blwnsmoke said:

I consider PDI the inspection and detailing the dealership does when a car is sold.

PDI is generally done when it leaves the transport. It takes time to get parts, so putting it on the lot to "discover" a problem after it is sold is not an option for most dealers. That way, the only thing that should be done when purchased is just the final cleanup and walk around.