Mach e prototype on the streets

14 minutes ago, pffan1990 said:

Am I the only one weirded out about the hood length proportion compared to the rest of the car? Mustangs are known to have long hood/short deck. If they want to have this to be "Mustang-inspired", then long hood/short hatch would be the proper design. Even if it's a purely-electric driven car on a BEV platform/architecture with motors possibly mounted at the wheels, then they still could have stretched the hood distance a bit to give it that 'Mustang' proportion. This actually looks like it has a transverse-mounted front drive engine layout just from how short the hood length is as well as how long the front overhang it has. Are we sure this is the Mach-E 'Mustang-inspired' crossover or something else entirely? I'm wondering if this is actually the next generation Fusion 'whitespace vehicle' we been hearing about in mule setup. It wouldn't be the first time auto journalists gotten the spy test photos wrong.

It's the Mach-E or whatever it's called. They got very creative with the camo on the hood. Look at the pictures of the back end, there's no exhaust or even signs of it being hidden somehow. Dead giveaway. 

Edited by fuzzymoomoo

1 hour ago, T-dubz said:

Yeah but it doesn’t look like a crossover either. The whole back is fake camo. Like someone else mentioned, you can see the roofline sloping downward. If anything, it has a 4 door fastback design which I’m guessing they will turn into a hatch so they can call it a utility. 

I like what I see though. If the $40k price is close, this should sell pretty well.

When is a near car replacement not a car?

When Ford can't bring themselves to call it a car....

2021-ford-mach-e-prototype-102-156641499

The devil in me would love to see Ford take the piss and make it accelerate fast enough to dust the Corvette.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

I’m not sure how I feel about this Spy shot. I’m having a hard time with the proportions. Perhaps their camo is working really well, because I’m not really digging it. Obviously I won’t pass judgment until the thing is actually revealed though. 

Fuzzy, can you provide any reassurance?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, tbone said:

I’m not sure how I feel about this Spy shot. I’m having a hard time with the proportions. Perhaps their camo is working really well, because I’m not really digging it. Obviously I won’t pass judgment until the thing is actually revealed though. 

You're not digging a vehicle that's wearing 400 pounds of cladding?  Really?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, mackinaw said:

You're not digging a vehicle that's wearing 400 pounds of cladding?  Really?

I’m not digging the stance, and I’m visualizing it without the obvious cladding using the teaser photo previously shown. It looks very low for an “suv.”  So yeah, really. 

22 minutes ago, tbone said:

Fuzzy, can you provide any reassurance?

Look at the back end and the clear lack of any kind of exhaust. 

They got very creative with the camo on the hood

like I said earlier, IMO calling it an SUV is a bit of a stretch 

Edited by fuzzymoomoo
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

like I said earlier, IMO calling it an SUV is a bit of a stretch 

That is true of a number of CUVs. The Mazda CX-3 and CX-5 aren't much higher than my Focus, just to name a couple off of the top of my head.

Edited by AGR

9 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

They got very creative with the camo on the hood

To Fuzzy's point, (first put on your Borg xray glasses) if you look at this Ford illustration and note the location of the headlights and how low the hood line is:

afordev-Copy.jpg

and then compare it to this photo, using the headlight location as your guide:

Mach_EV_005.jpg

you can discern the front fender line beneath the camo, which in turn shows a really low slung front end. 

I think the form factor is very much in line with models from BMW and Mercedes:

maxresdefault.jpg

• Like 1

14 hours ago, T-dubz said:

Yeah but it doesn’t look like a crossover either. The whole back is fake camo. Like someone else mentioned, you can see the roofline sloping downward. If anything, it has a 4 door fastback design which I’m guessing they will turn into a hatch so they can call it a utility. 

I like what I see though. If the $40k price is close, this should sell pretty well.

Ford's own released sketch showed it'd be a hatch.

Also, looking at the photo below - you can see the cutout in the camo for the backup camera in the center of the fake lightbar/white camo.  Judging from the sketch, the roof line tapers down to that point where there's some sort of spoiler effect going on.

Mach_EV_011.jpg

One thing that could've been cool to see would've been the Conti's hidden beltline handles.  But maybe this sits higher than it looks like (meaning those handles would be too high).

25 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

Ford's own released sketch showed it'd be a hatch.

Also, looking at the photo below - you can see the cutout in the camo for the backup camera in the center of the fake lightbar/white camo.  Judging from the sketch, the roof line tapers down to that point where there's some sort of spoiler effect going on.

Mach_EV_011.jpg

One thing that could've been cool to see would've been the Conti's hidden beltline handles.  But maybe this sits higher than it looks like (meaning those handles would be too high).

I think everything in the red outline is fake. You can see the shape of the roof line and the rear door through the camo. The rear is probably taller than a sedans trunk but not much. 

045551BF-7C16-4AC1-AE02-939129BF0B89.jpeg

24 minutes ago, T-dubz said:

I think everything in the red outline is fake. You can see the shape of the roof line and the rear door through the camo. The rear is probably taller than a sedans trunk but not much. 

045551BF-7C16-4AC1-AE02-939129BF0B89.jpeg

Yup, that's exactly what I was getting at, just was too lazy to do what you did haha.

You can see just behind the front window where there's a trim piece (or it may be camo, but it's what it'll do) that continues that arc downward similar to what you drew

The short front section (the section formerly known as "hood") is playing tricks on my eyes making the car look short. The long wheelbase is also hiding the true size...

I know someone keep saying this is a C2 vehicle but it is clearly not the case. Look at the gap between the front wheel arch and the front door cut line... this is clearly not FWD C2 platform. No C2 vehicle has this kind of proportion. If you want prove, dig up the old thread on this car when the first mule showed up. We had a discussion on it and the wheelbase and the forward placement of the front axle are pretty obvious sign that this is a new platform.

Edit:

Edited by bzcat

16 minutes ago, bzcat said:

I know someone keep saying this is a C2 vehicle but it is clearly not the case. Look at the gap between the front wheel arch and the front door cut line... this is clearly not FWD C2 platform. No C2 vehicle has this kind of proportion. If you want prove, dig up the old thread on this car when the first mule showed up. We had a long discussion on it and the wheelbase and the forward placement of the front axle are pretty obvious sign that this is a new platform.

I think they were just saying it was C2 sized, not that it was actually C2.

2 hours ago, akirby said:

I think they were just saying it was C2 sized, not that it was actually C2.

Why wouldn't be C2 based in some form to keep costs down? Its not like you have to deal with packaging limitations with a engine and transmission-the motors fit in between the wheels and the batteries are under the passenger cell.

I'd assume the passenger crash cell is very similar to C2 and the front subframe is tweaked bit since it doesn't need to fit an engine it.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bzcat said:

I know someone keep saying this is a C2 vehicle but it is clearly not the case. Look at the gap between the front wheel arch and the front door cut line... this is clearly not FWD C2 platform. No C2 vehicle has this kind of proportion. If you want prove, dig up the old thread on this car when the first mule showed up. We had a discussion on it and the wheelbase and the forward placement of the front axle are pretty obvious sign that this is a new platform.

It's a BEV based on C2 architecture but clearly not a regular C2

Without a transverse ICE engine in front, then of course the proportions change.

It's kinda the same development that GM used with the Bolt, it started as a share with Gamma

but then, GM switched away form those components and lost most of its scales of economy.

https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1106137_chevy-bolt-ev-not-on-shared-architecture-but-platform-name-secret-gm-says

PDATE: After this article published, GM's Kevin Kelly gave us the following statement that appears to explain the discrepancy: "The Bolt EV program originated on the Gamma architecture, but then grew into its own architecture—even as it maintained the G2 code."

Edited by jpd80
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

Why wouldn't be C2 based in some form to keep costs down? Its not like you have to deal with packaging limitations with a engine and transmission-the motors fit in between the wheels and the batteries are under the passenger cell.

I'd assume the passenger crash cell is very similar to C2 and the front subframe is tweaked bit since it doesn't need to fit an engine it.

A lot of money was saved doing it that way, Ford learning from electric Focus.

GM and Tesla's mistakes and using existing architecture to execute a lovely little BEV 

17 minutes ago, Anthony said:

Didn’t BMW just cancel all their weird tall riding morphed car/CUVs?

No.  X2, X4, and X6 are still around.

They dropped the very odd hunchback models: 3-series GT, 6-series GT, and Gran Coupe (replaced by 8 series Gran Coupe).

1 hour ago, silvrsvt said:

The electric motor (at least up front) could still use the same mounting points as an ICE. 

• Like 1