Mach e prototype on the streets

2 hours ago, akirby said:

I don't understand why it's such a huge deal if it's somehow related to Mustang.

For me, its because it shares nothing with Mustang........not platform, not engines and certainly not in keeping with Mustang's styling DNA of short tail and long hood coupe proportions.

I might......might have found it more acceptable if this was something more like the Kia Stinger........base it on the current (or S650/CD6 platform) for a rear wheel drive 5-door hatch/coupe with a Coyote up front.

But, other than the badge on the nose this will share nothing with Mustang.

This, for me, is like when Aston Martin did their version of the Toyota IQ and called it the AM Cygnet.  A chapter in AM's history they would rather now forget.

I hope I'm wrong and I hope I get to eat my words and change my tune once I see it, because as a Mustang fan I don't want to hate anything in the Mustang family.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gnostic said:

I think this is the first step to moving Mustang to BEV, especially for the performance models.

The first step should be the hybrid Mustang, especially if it's a hybrid mated to the Coyote as seems to be the case. Trust me, some Mustang purists think that's  a step too far!

What I find hard to get my head around is when Ford announced it was going to use the Mach 1 name for this BEV, there was an uproar from Mustang fans (and rightly so in my opinion). Ford heard the cries and decided to call it Mach E instead.............BUT.......it wasn't just that they were going to use the Mach 1 name, it was as much as they were linking it to Mustang. Ford don't seem to have realised this and are still going ahead with sticking a pony on it. 

• Like 1

A Transit Connect shares nothing with a full sized Transit but they're both called Transits.

Baby Bronco shares nothing with a full sized Bronco.

If the BEV is a performance car then that's enough for me to connect it to the Mustang family.  If it was just a BEV like the Bolt then that would be terrible.  But it's not.   I think the problem is Mustang has always been a single model.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Twin Turbo said:

What I find hard to get my head around is when Ford announced it was going to use the Mach 1 name for this BEV, there was an uproar from Mustang fans (and rightly so in my opinion). Ford heard the cries and decided to call it Mach E instead.............BUT.......it wasn't just that they were going to use the Mach 1 name, it was as much as they were linking it to Mustang. Ford don't seem to have realised this and are still going ahead with sticking a pony on it. 

Is it going to stop anyone from buying a Mustang?  Of course not, so while some may grumble about it who really cares in the end?

They'll get more favorable publicity and brand equity from the millions of other folks who aren't pissed off about it.

15 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

To that point, there was an interview done within the last year or so with Hau  Thai-Tang about how certain systems are becoming more modular (a/c systems being one he specifically mentioned) rather than individually tailored to specific vehicles. I'll see if I can find it on one of my breaks tonight. 

I remember watching that - I think that was either an Automotive News or Autoline interview, IIRC.

13 hours ago, averagengineer said:

Ive seen at least 10 of these prototypes in person before camo. It looks pretty good IMO. The interior is a very small cluster and a large infotainment screen with a contextual knob embedded in the infotainment screen, only like 2 hard buttons and a similar rotary gear shifter as the GT500. The rear lights are similar to mustang that they have 3  bars but with a stripe of light running through/across the bars.  It will have a running horse logo on the front and on the steering wheel the difference between the mustang one is it will have a different pattern then the aluminum look.  

Wish i can share more without leaking to much but stay tuned in November for reveal.

You know, this is the first time I realized the GT500 got the rotary shifter.

At this point I don't care-

I think its going to wind up getting called the Mustang Mach E CUV or something. I don't think Ford is going to slap ponies on it and not call it a Mustang in some shape or form. There is far too much foreshadowing like not spending alot of money to advertise it and other things that would make really surprised if they DON"T do this. 

Between being in a Telsa Model S and a BMW i3 (which has some serious issues with material choices for its interior for a "luxury" car-but I get why they did it), I'd have to say depending on pricing, the Mach E might be on my list as a next car-but I'd keep a Hybrid car for long distance trips. Especially considering I could get Solar panels and the power would be basically "free". 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Twin Turbo said:

I know I'm beating a dead horse (geddit?)......but this makes me sick to my stomach. If it has to have a horse, make it a very different looking pony!  :(  

(as you're clearly a man in the know, anything you can share on the next gen Mustang.......as in the real Mustang, would be appreciated :)  )

I thought the same thing but when I saw the vehicle in person I dont mind it using the running horse logo at all. I dont really have much details on mustang I think its still early for prototypes.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, akirby said:

A Transit Connect shares nothing with a full sized Transit but they're both called Transits.

Baby Bronco shares nothing with a full sized Bronco.

...and the Range Rover Velar is not related to the full fat Range Rover, but is Land Rover's take on the sporty Jaguar F-Pace SUV which, in turn, was designed from the platform used for one of Jag's sport sedans. Still, it is a Range Rover because JLR decided some years ago that RR would no longer be the name of a particular model, but rather JLR's sub-brand for luxury but still off-road capable SUVs.

Edited by Gurgeh
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Trailhiker said:

I'm having a hard time seeing any Mustang inspiration in this. It sure looks taller/bulkier than I imagined.

What they are showing:

ford-mustang-inspired-electric-crossover

is not the same vehicle as this (Mach E):   <I'm beginning to wonder if the first photo is the C/D model that was moved to Michigan>

2021-ford-mach-e-prototype-102-156641499

Edited by Harley Lover
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Trailhiker said:

I'm having a hard time seeing any Mustang inspiration in this. It sure looks taller/bulkier than I imagined.

You realize that these are just powertrain test mules using old Escape bodies, right?

1 hour ago, Harley Lover said:

What they are showing:

ford-mustang-inspired-electric-crossover

is not the same vehicle as this (Mach E):   <I'm beginning to wonder if the first photo is the C/D model that was moved to Michigan>

2021-ford-mach-e-prototype-102-156641499

We saw spy shots of the Escape bodied mule last year.  It's just the EV platform with an Escape body before we saw prototypes like the lower picture.

19 minutes ago, Twin Turbo said:

Might as well slap a pony on everything now.....

Mustang inspired.jpg

I bet the Pony on the grill adds at least 10 hp!  Though seriously that Mustang Pony on the Grill does make the Focus look better, but that's because when I see the Pony on the grill  It probably triggers my  imagination of exterior elements and interiors designed with american affordable sports car philosophies.   Though I don't think they will actually be putting a Mustang on the Grill of the upcoming electric.    

Edited by Fordowner